Championship of Champions XV Predictions (May Contain Spoilers!!!)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Who do you think will be the 15th Champion of Champions?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Jonathan Wynn (S73)
6%
Matthew Tassier (S73)
No votes
Thomas Carey (S73)
6%
Paul Erdunast (S74)
33%
Ann Dibben (S74)
No votes
Martin Hurst (S75)
No votes
Andrew Macleod (S75)
No votes
Stephen Read (S76)
6%
Tom Chafer-Cook (S77)
11%
Bradley Horrocks (S77)
No votes
John Cowen (S77)
No votes
Noel McIlvenny (S77)
6%
Zarte Siempre (S78)
33%
Philip Aston (S78)
No votes
Dougie Mackay (S78)
No votes
Phil Davies (S78)
No votes

Total votes: 18

Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Championship of Champions XV Predictions (May Contain Spoilers!!!)

Post by Ryan Lam »

Merry Christmas to all and hope you're having a nice holiday season to end off the year! As probably most of you would've been aware by now, we're having a Championship of Champions tournament from 02 to 22 January 2019 with Finalists from Series 73 to 78 battling out against each other to see who can truly claim the title of the "Champion of Champions", joining Dylan Taylor who was the last winner back in January 2016.

There was a thread for this CoC plus the discussion from 2017 and earlier in 2018 when Eoin Jackson, our fellow Series 77 Quarter-finalist started it here: http://c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php? ... a91c9bac48

The fixtures which were announced by the actual Countdown team can be viewed here: http://c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php? ... a91c9bac48

To aid in the list, I've bolded the Champions and underlined the Runners-up. Hopefully this will help...

Preliminary #1 (2 January): Jonathan Wynn (Series 73 Grand Champion) vs Phil Davies (Series 78 Semi-Finalist)
Preliminary #2 (3 January): Ann Dibben (Series 74 Runner-Up) vs John Cowen (Series 77 Semi-Finalist)
Preliminary #3 (4 January): Matthew Tassier (Series 73 Runner-Up) vs Dougie Mackay (Series 78 Semi-Finalist)
Preliminary #4 (7 January): Thomas Carey (Series 73 Semi-Finalist) vs Stephen Read (Series 76 Grand Champion)
Preliminary #5 (8 January): Paul Erdunast (Series 74 Grand Champion) vs Zarte Siempre (Series 78 Grand Champion)
Preliminary #6 (9 January): Tom Chafer-Cook (Series 77 Grand Champion) vs Martin Hurst (Series 75 Grand Champion)
Preliminary #7 (10 January): Bradley Horrocks (Series 77 Runner-Up) vs Andrew Macleod (Series 75 Runner-Up)
Preliminary #8 (11 January): Philip Aston (Series 78 Runner-Up) vs Noel McIlvenny (Series 77 Semi-Finalist)

The recordings were done from Monday 1 October 2018 to Wednesday 3 October 2018. The wait is almost over and we can't wait for the best of the best from different Series coming together!

I'll be writing a very short review each day and if you have any predictions, feel free to share them here! :)

(P.S. The poll will close on the day the Championship Final airs, so if you happen to be reading this in the near future, apologies but you will not be able to cast since the result is known. I have arranged the names according to the Series and how far each person it in the Finals. Also, I will allow re-voting for this poll if you're unhappy with your initial choice.)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Re: Championship of Champions XV Predictions (May Contain Spoilers!!!)

Post by Owen Carroll »

My first COC!!!!
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Re: Championship of Champions XV Predictions (May Contain Spoilers!!!)

Post by Ryan Lam »

So there you have it, congratulations to Zarte Siempre for becoming the 15th Championship of Champions (and to the six of you who predicted correctly here!)

These were my predictions as promised during CoCXV itself, note that other than predicting who would win, I also predicted whether the game would be a double century game and/or end in a Crucial Conundrum. Actual results are shown after -> .

Preliminary #1: Jonathan beats Phil by 40 points (No Double Century, No Crucial) -> 35 point margin
Preliminary #2: Ann beats John by 10 points (No Double Century, Crucial) -> John beats Ann by 3 points
Preliminary #3: Matthew beats Dougie by 30 points (No Double Century, No Crucial) -> 18 point margin
Preliminary #4: Stephen beats Thomas by 10 points (No Double Century, Crucial) -> Thomas beats Stephen by 19 points
Preliminary #5: Zarte beats Paul by 10 points (Double Century, Crucial) -> 8 point margin
Preliminary #6: Tom beats Martin by 20 points (No Double Century, No Crucial) -> 40 point margin
Preliminary #7: Bradley beats Andrew by 10 points (No Double Century, Crucial) -> 24 point margin but had Double Century, No Crucial
Preliminary #8: Philip beats Noel by 20 points (No Double Century, No Crucial) -> 14 point margin

Now, everything got mixed up here because obviously I incorrectly predicted Ann and Stephen would make it.

Quarter-Finals #1: Philip beats Jonathan by 10 points (No Double Century, Crucial) -> 18 point margin but had No Crucial
Quarter-Finals #2: Ann beats Bradley by 10 points (No Double Century, Crucial) -> John was in and Bradley beat him by 3 points in the Rematch
Quarter-Finals #3: Tom beats Matthew by 30 points (No Double Century, No Crucial) -> 49 point margin
Quarter-Finals #4: Zarte beats Stephen by 30 points (Double Century, No Crucial) -> Thomas was in but Zarte beat him by 28 points and set a new Record in the process as well!

Semi-Finals #1: Zarte beats Philip by 15 points (Double Century, No Crucial) -> 33 point margin but had No Double Century
Semi-Finals #2: Tom beats Ann by 30 points (No Double Century, No Crucial) -> Bradley was in and beat him by 1 point in the Rematch and Double Century was present!

Championship Final: Zarte beats Tom by 10 points (Double Century, Crucial) -> Bradley was in but Zarte ultimately won by 33 points, both were absent.