Series 79 Finals Predictions (Contains Spoilers!)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Who do you think will be the Grand Champion of Series 79?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:06 pm

Martin May
79%
Mike Daysley
No votes
Andrew Jackson
7%
Dave Ashton
7%
Tony Manwani
7%
Alan Duval
No votes
Adam Rolston
No votes
Bob Lunt
No votes

Total votes: 14

Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Series 79 Finals Predictions (Contains Spoilers!)

Post by Ryan Lam »

So, with just six Preliminaries of Series 79 yet to air as of the time of writing, we now know who are the final eight and here they are:

EDIT: Our fellow Series 77 Finalist Bradley Horrocks has given the spoiler that the #4 Seed, Robin Johnson could not make it for the filming of the Finals. Taking his place would be Bob Lunt and this means the seed table now appears as below. (You might be forced to change some of your predictions if you have forumlated one beforehand.)

Quarter-Finals #1 (13 December): Martin May (#1 Seed) vs Bob Lunt (#9 Seed)
Quarter-Finals #2 (14 December): Mike Daysley (#2 Seed) vs Adam Rolston (#8 Seed)
Quarter-Finals #3 (17 December): Andrew Jackson (#3 Seed) vs Alan Duval (#7 Seed)
Quarter-Finals #4 (18 December): Dave Ashton (#5 Seed) vs Tony Manwani (#6 Seed)

If you would like to have an analysis of how each of the eight players did in their Preliminaries feel free to head over here (Many thanks to Tom S for doing it!): http://c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php? ... c05f515998

This is perhaps the best Series we've seen since Series 77 and probably the most bunching of Octochamps in recent memory as well. The Finals were recorded unusually early in the year, on 4 and 5 September as we have to make way for CoC at the start of the next year.

I'm not going to be sharing any predictions this time round and will be writing a review of the episode each day as per the last Series, so if you have any feel free to post them here! :)

(P.S. The poll will close on the day the Grand Final airs, so if you happen to be reading this in the near future, apologies but you will not be able to cast since the result is known.)
Last edited by Ryan Lam on Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Re: Series 79 Finals Predictions (Contains Spoilers!)

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

SPOILER ALERT REGARDING THE LINE-UP (written below in blue tiny text)
DOESN'T GIVE AWAY ANY OUTCOMES

One of the top 8 is not present at recordings - Robin Johnson
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Bradley Horrocks wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:13 pm SPOILER ALERT REGARDING THE LINE-UP (written below in blue tiny text)
DOESN'T GIVE AWAY ANY OUTCOMES

One of the top 8 is not present at recordings - Robin Johnson
:O I must watch closely at what Nick has to say next Thursday then!! If that's confirmed I will make the necessary changes accordingly!
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Hi Ryan

Will do Andrew's profile tomorrow, apologies for the delay folks. Shame about the news in Bradley's spoiler, hope something positive comes out of it, and can second what he says.
Last edited by Tom S on Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Glad to see you still posting these Ryan! Promise not to cause problems like I did during the s78 finals.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

And yeah I knew about that spoiler Bradley. But does make things interesting. And disappointing a little.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Ryan Lam wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:06 pm So, with just six Preliminaries of Series 79 yet to air as of the time of writing, we now know who are the final eight
The existence of this thread before the preliminaries are over is itself a spoiler.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:29 pm
Ryan Lam wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:06 pm So, with just six Preliminaries of Series 79 yet to air as of the time of writing, we now know who are the final eight
The existence of this thread before the preliminaries are over is itself a spoiler.
This has been mentioned in previous series as well!
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Well not really - if you're past the point at which anyone else can make it, it's just formality. Although after Annie dropping out a few series back, someone ought to check the 8 with someone who was there each time.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I'm actually quite impressed regarding how quiet everyone on here managed to be about Robin's absence, with the finals presumably having been planned four months ago or so.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:35 am I'm actually quite impressed regarding how quiet everyone on here managed to be about Robin's absence, with the finals presumably having been planned four months ago or so.
Yeah, I'd planned to mention it once all the places were filled too. Obviously I knew as I was there. Don't recall any reason being alluded to though.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 am Well not really - if you're past the point at which anyone else can make it, it's just formality. Although after Annie dropping out a few series back, someone ought to check the 8 with someone who was there each time.
Well I suppose it's that the thread popped up as soon as we couldn't get a ninth octochamp, so those who hadn't watched the show might have then suspected.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

*shrug* It's a Spoilers section, who cares? We also had Tom posting about people's chances in the finals before confirming they were in them, it's hardly a dead giveaway.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 am Well not really - if you're past the point at which anyone else can make it, it's just formality. Although after Annie dropping out a few series back, someone ought to check the 8 with someone who was there each time.
I thought the odds of a finalist not being able to make it are slim but tbf I should have checked this time round since the Finals were filmed unusually early.

With all the confirmation it seems that Robin Johnson is indeed no longer in the Finals. I have tentatively replaced him with Bob Lunt who is the #9 Seed. Of course, we shall wait until next Thursday for confirmation.

And to whoever who voted for Robin Johnson to win, I'm sorry but I can't do anything about it, your vote has been pushed down to Dave Ashton. :(
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:05 pm *shrug* It's a Spoilers section, who cares?
Because you still see that a thread exists without having to go into it or even into the spoilers section generally.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Posting a thread entitled "Julie lost today", which appears in the Active Topics list, really is a spoiler.
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

The existence of a predictions thread itself isn't necessarily be a spoiler - Julie could've won her third scoring 100, and would lead us to wonder if she'll qualify and how she'll do.
For this thread there is a poll icon visible on the Active and Spoilers list, which suggests finalists are confirmed. That is a spoiler.

Ryan, those of us who were there can 100% confirm Bob plays :P
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Hope we will see Robin in the next series, as I warmed to him and his Countdown journey, can anyone confirm?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Tom S wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm Hope we will see Robin in the next series, as I warmed to him and his Countdown journey, can anyone confirm?
Since they confirmed Annie returning for the s76 finals on the day of s75's first quarter final, the same people will probably announce Robin returning on Thursday. That's if he is returning.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Tom S wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:38 pm Hope we will see Robin in the next series, as I warmed to him and his Countdown journey, can anyone confirm?
I can't confirm but I must say that he does deserve to be in the Finals of Series 80 since Annie Humphries was given that honour back in Series 75 for the Finals of Series 76 in June 2017.

Best of luck for all the contestants as the Finals starts tomorrow (Even though the eight of them and those at the studio already know what happened more than three months ago!). Let's see how "Once vacated due to circumstances beyond control" Martin May battles on with "Thanks to someone not being able to make it I'm in" Bob Lunt! :) (Let's just hope we don't see an absolute thrashing like what Zarte did to Jan back in June...)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Ryan Lam wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:50 pm
I can't confirm but I must say that he does deserve to be in the Finals of Series 80 since Annie Humphries was given that honour back in Series 75 for the Finals of Series 76 in June 2017.

Best of luck for all the contestants as the Finals starts tomorrow (Even though the eight of them and those at the studio already know what happened more than three months ago!). Let's see how "Once vacated due to circumstances beyond control" Martin May battles on with "Thanks to someone not being able to make it I'm in" Bob Lunt! :) (Let's just hope we don't see an absolute thrashing like what Zarte did to Jan back in June...)
After seeing bob's heats, I'd say he'll do alright against Martin.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Ryan Lam wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:50 pm
Let's see how "Once vacated due to circumstances beyond control" Martin May battles on with "Thanks to someone not being able to make it I'm in" Bob Lunt! :) (Let's just hope we don't see an absolute thrashing like what Zarte did to Jan back in June...)
I do not think an absolute thrashing occurring- Bob is not where he deserves to be seed-wise imo, although Martin is the best of the 8, and I am sure he can take it, a potential upset of the series would not be out of question imo......
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Qf1: I predict Martin to win by 20-30 points.
Qf2: I predict mike to win by 30-40 points.
Qf3: I predict Andrew to win by 10-15 points
Qf4: I predict Dave to win by 20-30 points.

Sf1: I predict Martin to win by 15-20 points
Sf2: I predict Mike to win by 10-20 points

Gf: I predict Martin to become series champion and to win by 10-15 points.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

So there you have it, and in an upset, Mike Daysley is officially the Grand Champion of Series 79! No one voted for him that's sad! :( Oh well...