Spoilers For Monday 26th November 2018

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Tom S
Kiloposter

Spoilers For Monday 26th November 2018

Post by Tom S »

PHEW! Thank goodness for the last numbers- you could tell Rachel's relief at the end too...
samir pilica
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers for 26th November 2018

Post by samir pilica »

Extremely uncomfortable viewing.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

I bet Toby's getting Deja vu
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

Owen Carroll wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:41 pm I bet Toby's getting Deja vu
Haha, yeah, I kinda did! :lol:

Felt quite bad for Lewis in the end though, was probably just nervous.
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

:shock:
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Toby McDonald wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Yeah he did look nervous. When I'm on I plan to try and not care for the first game so hopefully I won't be affected by nerves..
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I thought the odd thing was that he didn't look particularly nervous at all. And his performance really was spectacularly dreadful. A thought that has occurred to me in the past is that a better measure of performance than how many maximums you get is how many words there are better than what you declare - a six when there's only one seven is better than a six when there are half a dozen sevens. There must have been literally hundreds of words better than his declarations.

I began to think it was some sort of hoax or betting coup, ultimately foiled by a staged final numbers game.
Andy SC

Post by Andy SC »

Toby McDonald wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:35 pm

I felt quite bad for Lewis as well. Could have been nerves and could have just been rather good at hiding the nerves or he could have been dyslexic or something like that. At least he gave it a go regardless of what the issue may have been.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

David Williams wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:58 pm I thought the odd thing was that he didn't look particularly nervous at all. And his performance really was spectacularly dreadful. A thought that has occurred to me in the past is that a better measure of performance than how many maximums you get is how many words there are better than what you declare - a six when there's only one seven is better than a six when there are half a dozen sevens. There must have been literally hundreds of words better than his declarations.

I began to think it was some sort of hoax or betting coup, ultimately foiled by a staged final numbers game.
Got to agree with this. I was wondering who did his audition for him!

Just goes to show that FortNite is not good preparation for Countdown.

I assume his was a record lowest score, I certainly can't remember seeing one as low as that.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Andy SC

Post by Andy SC »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:07 am
David Williams wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:58 pm I thought the odd thing was that he didn't look particularly nervous at all. And his performance really was spectacularly dreadful. A thought that has occurred to me in the past is that a better measure of performance than how many maximums you get is how many words there are better than what you declare - a six when there's only one seven is better than a six when there are half a dozen sevens. There must have been literally hundreds of words better than his declarations.

Got to agree with this. I was wondering who did his audition for him!

Just goes to show that FortNite is not good preparation for Countdown.

I assume his was a record lowest score, I certainly can't remember seeing one as low as that.
Six points is the lowest score in the 15-round era.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Something that I'm surprised that no-one has picked up on is that the champion Andrew Jackson picked 6 small in round 9 when he was 60-0 up. As the resident forum psychopath, I can recognise a psychopathic act when I see one. It's not even as if he normally does this. He's always gone for 1-large in his other games in round 9. When he was the challenger he went for 6 small in round 14, but that was a close game. Verdict: psychopath.
David Williams wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:58 pmI began to think it was some sort of hoax or betting coup, ultimately foiled by a staged final numbers game.
I did wonder if this round was fixed. I know that some people have observed that the number generator seems to sometimes repeat long sequences, so if a repeated long sequence was broken at this round, that would be evidence, but I couldn't find that this had happened when I looked at the wiki just now. But I also didn't find a previous run of this sequence anyway, so it's not evidence against either.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:24 pm Something that I'm surprised that no-one has picked up on is that the champion Andrew Jackson picked 6 small in round 9 when he was 60-0 up. As the resident forum psychopath, I can recognise a psychopathic act when I see one. It's not even as if he normally does this. He's always gone for 1-large in his other games in round 9. When he was the challenger he went for 6 small in round 14, but that was a close game. Verdict: psychopath.

According to some personal comments made by Andrew towards some which I have seen, Jacob was quite an unnerving character- maybe it was something that had been said backstage. Seemed very harsh on first glance but would not go as far to saying it was a callous act knowing the context.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Andrew could have picked 6 small to give a better chance of it being difficult, and thus making Lewis feel better about not getting it than he might have done about missing an easier one.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Tom S wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:30 pmAccording to some personal comments made by Andrew towards some which I have seen, Jacob was quite an unnerving character- maybe it was something that had been said backstage. Seemed very harsh on first glance but would not go as far to saying it was a callous act knowing the context.
Jacob? You mean Lewis?
Philip Wilson wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:50 pm Andrew could have picked 6 small to give a better chance of it being difficult, and thus making Lewis feel better about not getting it than he might have done about missing an easier one.
Possible, but I'd say very unlikely.
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Perhaps he picked 6 small in order to practice it for future games, knowing the win was in the bag. I did a similar thing in game 7 by picking 3 large, in anticipation of using that tactic if I met John Cowen.
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:02 am
Tom S wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:30 pmAccording to some personal comments made by Andrew towards some which I have seen, Jacob was quite an unnerving character- maybe it was something that had been said backstage. Seemed very harsh on first glance but would not go as far to saying it was a callous act knowing the context.
Jacob? You mean Lewis?

I do even- just kept on thinking that that was his name.....