Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Post Reply
User avatar
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by Thomas Carey » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:11 pm

Happy 36th birthday Countdown! Chris is going for his 4th win, and most people who have got that this series have done pretty well. Hit it.
cheers maus

Ray Wilding
Enthusiast
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by Ray Wilding » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:50 pm

NITIDOUS in R13.

Philip Wilson
Devotee
Posts: 537
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by Philip Wilson » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Always wanted to be on and say 'oratory' like the guy in The Spy Who Loved Me! Today I could have!

User avatar
Chris Sturdy
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:43 am
Location: Sussex
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by Chris Sturdy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:49 pm

I remember seeing ORATORY immediately after declaring ROTARY and then seeing GYRATORS just as Colin said Susie had found an 8.

Shame I didn't get my ton. That 450 numbers game is cringeworthy to watch back and would have meant 108...

Did you catch my S-stammered today and my *coughs* COUGHS yesterday? :D
Twenty-six letters of the alphabet = Best of all, they shape written text!

Owen Carroll
Enthusiast
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 am

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by Owen Carroll » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:03 am

On Susie's 25 anniversary, Colin showed a clip of Susie's first episode. I hoped that today they'd show when Richard Whiteley said "As the countdown to a brand new channel ends, a brand new countdown begins"

Tom S
Devotee
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by Tom S » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:18 am

Owen Carroll wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:03 am
On Susie's 25 anniversary, Colin showed a clip of Susie's first episode. I hoped that today they'd show when Richard Whiteley said "As the countdown to a brand new channel ends, a brand new countdown begins"
Well possibly, but I think what RR said at the end was adequate enough given that there's not much special about celebrating the 36th, though not sure whether you caught it, but the continuity announcer made a reference to it beforehand.

Owen Carroll
Enthusiast
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 am

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by Owen Carroll » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:41 am

Tom S wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:18 am
Owen Carroll wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:03 am
On Susie's 25 anniversary, Colin showed a clip of Susie's first episode. I hoped that today they'd show when Richard Whiteley said "As the countdown to a brand new channel ends, a brand new countdown begins"
Well possibly, but I think what RR said at the end was adequate enough given that there's not much special about celebrating the 36th, though not sure whether you caught it, but the continuity announcer made a reference to it beforehand.
What was the reference?

Tom S
Devotee
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by Tom S » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Owen Carroll wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:41 am
Tom S wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:18 am
Owen Carroll wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:03 am
On Susie's 25 anniversary, Colin showed a clip of Susie's first episode. I hoped that today they'd show when Richard Whiteley said "As the countdown to a brand new channel ends, a brand new countdown begins"
Well possibly, but I think what RR said at the end was adequate enough given that there's not much special about celebrating the 36th, though not sure whether you caught it, but the continuity announcer made a reference to it beforehand.
What was the reference?
She just stated about the anniversary of the show and C4 with the saying.

Owen Carroll
Enthusiast
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 am

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by Owen Carroll » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:14 pm

Tom S wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:04 pm
Owen Carroll wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:41 am
Tom S wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:18 am


Well possibly, but I think what RR said at the end was adequate enough given that there's not much special about celebrating the 36th, though not sure whether you caught it, but the continuity announcer made a reference to it beforehand.
What was the reference?
She just stated about the anniversary of the show and C4 with the saying.
Ah alright.

Philip Wilson
Devotee
Posts: 537
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by Philip Wilson » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:26 pm

Chris Sturdy wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:49 pm
I remember seeing ORATORY immediately after declaring ROTARY and then seeing GYRATORS just as Colin said Susie had found an 8.

Shame I didn't get my ton. That 450 numbers game is cringeworthy to watch back and would have meant 108...

Did you catch my S-stammered today and my *coughs* COUGHS yesterday? :D
Indeed yes, both the s-stammer and the C-cough Chris!

George Pryn
Acolyte
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:55 pm

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by George Pryn » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:48 pm

Chris Sturdy wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:49 pm
I remember seeing ORATORY immediately after declaring ROTARY and then seeing GYRATORS just as Colin said Susie had found an 8.

Shame I didn't get my ton. That 450 numbers game is cringeworthy to watch back and would have meant 108...

Did you catch my S-stammered today and my *coughs* COUGHS yesterday? :D
Don't beat yourself up about the numbers, it's always rounds like that where it looks like you'll be fine with the small numbers after 4*100 that trip you up and screw your head!

Coughs and stammered were great, any more to look out for?

User avatar
Chris Sturdy
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:43 am
Location: Sussex
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by Chris Sturdy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:47 am

George Pryn wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:48 pm
Coughs and stammered were great, any more to look out for?
I can't rightly remember. I think I was flagging a bit by then and I was perhaps a tiny bit disappointed there was so little reaction from NH to both of those (it wasn't just that any reaction was edited out, there just wasn't any) that unless a real corker had come up (which I would have remembered) probably not.

I think the day of the 36th Countdown anniversary was also amazingly Damian's 5000th episode.
It was really funny, because filming started as ever but Rachel kicked it off with some tribute material to the occasion. Susie and Nick were obviously in on the act and as the anecdotes got more and more ribald and the last bit was Rachel holding a picture up to camera of Damian doing something (sadly, I forget what), it became obvious that this wasn't material that was going to be aired...

And then suddenly, everyone just switched back into Countdown mode and we started the game...

I think all the tribute material got filmed. I wonder if it will ever be made available?

Chris
Twenty-six letters of the alphabet = Best of all, they shape written text!

User avatar
Ian Fitzpatrick
Enthusiast
Posts: 443
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:25 am

Chris Sturdy wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:47 am
George Pryn wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:48 pm
Coughs and stammered were great, any more to look out for?
I can't rightly remember. I think I was flagging a bit by then and I was perhaps a tiny bit disappointed there was so little reaction from NH to both of those (it wasn't just that any reaction was edited out, there just wasn't any) that unless a real corker had come up (which I would have remembered) probably not.

I think the day of the 36th Countdown anniversary was also amazingly Damian's 5000th episode.
It was really funny, because filming started as ever but Rachel kicked it off with some tribute material to the occasion. Susie and Nick were obviously in on the act and as the anecdotes got more and more ribald and the last bit was Rachel holding a picture up to camera of Damian doing something (sadly, I forget what), it became obvious that this wasn't material that was going to be aired...

And then suddenly, everyone just switched back into Countdown mode and we started the game...

I think all the tribute material got filmed. I wonder if it will ever be made available?

Chris

You have to remember that Nick generally has no idea what is going on and often relies on Rachel to prompt him.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum

George Pryn
Acolyte
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:55 pm

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by George Pryn » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:40 pm

Chris Sturdy wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:47 am
George Pryn wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:48 pm
Coughs and stammered were great, any more to look out for?
I can't rightly remember. I think I was flagging a bit by then and I was perhaps a tiny bit disappointed there was so little reaction from NH to both of those (it wasn't just that any reaction was edited out, there just wasn't any) that unless a real corker had come up (which I would have remembered) probably not.

I think the day of the 36th Countdown anniversary was also amazingly Damian's 5000th episode.
It was really funny, because filming started as ever but Rachel kicked it off with some tribute material to the occasion. Susie and Nick were obviously in on the act and as the anecdotes got more and more ribald and the last bit was Rachel holding a picture up to camera of Damian doing something (sadly, I forget what), it became obvious that this wasn't material that was going to be aired...

And then suddenly, everyone just switched back into Countdown mode and we started the game...

I think all the tribute material got filmed. I wonder if it will ever be made available?

Chris
Sounds brilliant!

Ian Birdman
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:36 pm

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by Ian Birdman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:57 am

I havent warched for awhile bit saw this episode...was it me or was the challenger bending the rules a little when he kept on stallimg before declaring the word!

Well played Chris!

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2673
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Friday 2nd November 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 91)

Post by JimBentley » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Chris Sturdy wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:47 am

I think the day of the 36th Countdown anniversary was also amazingly Damian's 5000th episode.
It was really funny, because filming started as ever but Rachel kicked it off with some tribute material to the occasion. Susie and Nick were obviously in on the act and as the anecdotes got more and more ribald and the last bit was Rachel holding a picture up to camera of Damian doing something (sadly, I forget what), it became obvious that this wasn't material that was going to be aired...

And then suddenly, everyone just switched back into Countdown mode and we started the game...

I think all the tribute material got filmed. I wonder if it will ever be made available?

Chris
If it was filmed, we will at some point see it. Might not be tomorrow, or this week, or even this year, but it will eventually surface, because stuff like that always does, somehow. That's a good thing; behind the scenes stuff, and things that were cut from broadcast are always good fun.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests