Spoilers For Monday 6th August 2018

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Tom S
Kiloposter

Spoilers For Monday 6th August 2018

Post by Tom S »

Sturdier as a rather common r2 beater.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for 6th August 2018

Post by Tom S »

Bit surprised that Asocials is not allowed.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

The conundrum setters fail once again, if only Bob had offered RELUCTING...
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

1st numbers alt: ((75 + 50) x 5 ) + 25 +7

2nd numbers alt: 50 x 7 x (8 / 4) - 5 - 3
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Five large? That's a new one on me. I guess this graph by Graeme is going to need a new line!

1st Numbers Alt.: (25 + 75 + 5 - 4) * 7 - 50
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Another player that looks good briefly and then falls away. I wonder what today's winner will go on to achieve.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

I wonder what would have been done though if someone did declare Relucting, as I spotted.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:12 pm Another player that looks good briefly and then falls away. I wonder what today's winner will go on to achieve.
I kind of had a gut feeling that Matthew was not going to go far, even though he put in a very good debut. Bar the blip on the last numbers, Eddie put in a solidly consistent performance and I hope he will do well because he seems like a genuine, nice chap
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Tom S wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:23 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:12 pm Another player that looks good briefly and then falls away. I wonder what today's winner will go on to achieve.
I kind of had a gut feeling that Matthew was not going to go far, even though he put in a very good debut. Bar the blip on the last numbers, Eddie put in a solidly consistent performance and I hope he will do well because he seems like a genuine, nice chap

Guess Matt's just an afternoon person, not a morning one (assuming he ended one day and started another).
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Philip Wilson wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:56 pm
Guess Matt's just an afternoon person, not a morning one (assuming he ended one day and started another).
I think this was filmed on a Monday, which would have meant the first filming was afternoon too. Maybe he just prefers being nearer to Nick.
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Cannot help but feel the challenger was very similar to James Kennedy :lol:
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Bradley Horrocks wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:23 pm
I think this was filmed on a Monday, which would have meant the first filming was afternoon too. Maybe he just prefers being nearer to Nick.
I've checked the filming schedules, this was recorded on Wednesday, 25 April 2018 at 10am, the previous recording was on Tuesday, 24 April 2018 which ended at 6pm, so Philip is right in a sense...

On the other hand, IMO Matthew's win on Friday can be attributed to just pure luck with his risky words since he genuinely did not know whether it was in or not...but seriously, someone please end the Octochamp drought, we should have had two by now and we have none! :(
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Tom S wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:40 pm Bit surprised that Asocials is not allowed.
Well, I know what a social is. I'm struggling to imagine what form an asocial might take, but it sounds like my sort of party.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Ryan Lam wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:46 am
I've checked the filming schedules, this was recorded on Wednesday, 25 April 2018 at 10am, the previous recording was on Tuesday, 24 April 2018 which ended at 6pm, so Philip is right in a sense...

On the other hand, IMO Matthew's win on Friday can be attributed to just pure luck with his risky words since he genuinely did not know whether it was in or not...but seriously, someone please end the Octochamp drought, we should have had two by now and we have none! :(
Interesting Ryan. Also Bob would have been tired on 'Friday', which may have helped Matthew.
On the octochamps subject, as far as I can see there is still time for 8 in this series, so it was strange that Nick and Rachel both suggested Bob was already In the finals. Am I missing something?
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Ray Wilding wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:55 pm The conundrum setters fail once again, if only Bob had offered RELUCTING...
Once again? Please do submit the other errors and we'll update our database accordingly.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Also, it's hardly a fail. If someone out there is willing and able to say RELUCTING, they deserve their ten points.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Ryan Lam wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:46 am

I don't think Matthew's win is attributed to just pure luck, perhaps luck in the sense that Bob was not on form, but that's as far as it goes because he deservedly won on Friday and his performance was one of the better ones we've seen this series. He is a good player, but was not with it on that occasion and lost fair and square to the better player. There will be a few octochamps at least imo...
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Mark Deeks wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:34 am Also, it's hardly a fail. If someone out there is willing and able to say RELUCTING, they deserve their ten points.
Maybe it would be re-filmed and a new one would be put in place, but agree with your point, nevertheless, Mark.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Lam wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:46 am On the other hand, IMO Matthew's win on Friday can be attributed to just pure luck with his risky words since he genuinely did not know whether it was in or not...but seriously, someone please end the Octochamp drought, we should have had two by now and we have none! :(
I don't think so at all. He spotted well, so it's not just about whether his words were in. Bob didn't have his best game, but Matthew played at a higher standard than Bob did throughout his run.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:09 am
Ryan Lam wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:46 am On the other hand, IMO Matthew's win on Friday can be attributed to just pure luck with his risky words since he genuinely did not know whether it was in or not...but seriously, someone please end the Octochamp drought, we should have had two by now and we have none! :(
I don't think so at all. He spotted well, so it's not just about whether his words were in. Bob didn't have his best game, but Matthew played at a higher standard than Bob did throughout his run.
I personally think Bob was the better player overall as his numbers seemed a little more accurate than Matthew's, I think if it wasn't for the last recording, the score would be closer.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

Countdown Team wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:15 am
Ray Wilding wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:55 pm The conundrum setters fail once again, if only Bob had offered RELUCTING...
Once again? Please do submit the other errors and we'll update our database accordingly.
LIMBERING/RELIMBING http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_6738 was the one I was thinking of.
INSTILLED/TELLINIDS http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_6873 , though since conundrums won't be plurals I guess that's moot.
NOTIFYING/TONIFYING http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_6574 going back a bit further.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Thanks for these.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

There's a "database"? I figured you guys just fiddled with Lexplorer to get 'em.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.