Spoilers For Monday 30th July 2018

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Tom S
Kiloposter

Spoilers For Monday 30th July 2018

Post by Tom S »

Ridgetop as a R1 beater.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for 30th July 2018

Post by Tom S »

Declared Grovers myself as well so was a bit surprised it was disallowed.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Did anyone think Rachel was a tad on the rude side when she said that "you clearly don't know your 75 x tables" at the end of r14. Yes, it was a bad miss, but still thought it was a little uncalled for (not that she is a malicious individual).
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

They probably didn't take it too srsly because they do (know their 75 x table). I thought they just didn't see that method. The challenger did 75 x 8 after all, and the champion must have used 75 a few times in his 16 numbers games so far. It did seem a strange thing to say though.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I quite enjoyed the comment, and felt she could have added "you stupid fools" on the end.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

After doing 75x8=600, and needing to take off 76, it was astonishing that the challenger didn't at once see that he should have used 7 as the multiplier - pressure of the occasion, I guess.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Tom S wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:32 pm Did anyone think Rachel was a tad on the rude side when she said that "you clearly don't know your 75 x tables" at the end of r14. Yes, it was a bad miss, but still thought it was a little uncalled for (not that she is a malicious individual).
Yeah I agree
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Tom S wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:32 pm Did anyone think Rachel was a tad on the rude side when she said that "you clearly don't know your 75 x tables" at the end of r14. Yes, it was a bad miss, but still thought it was a little uncalled for (not that she is a malicious individual).
I think she judged it right. She had two players to whom it WAS clearly a bad miss. Both were quite good players, and it seemed uncharacteristic. I think she was giving them a gentle ribbing more than anything else. And the smiiling/facepalming on there part seemed to reflect that IMO.

I do understand why it might be seen otherwise though.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

IMO, not really.
Zarte Siempre wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:30 pm She had two players to whom it WAS clearly a bad miss. Both were quite good players, and it seemed uncharacteristic.
I have to agree with Zarte here, even those on the Daily Chat (myself included) were wondering "How did they both miss this?" While you have a valid point that the tone may have put off some people, but on a difficulty scale if you ask me to rate this Round from 1-10, it's a 1 from me, plus the Numbers Rounds before were comparable to this. But still, the facepalm when the easy way out was shown. :(
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Ryan Lam wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:22 am
IMO, not really.
Zarte Siempre wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:30 pm She had two players to whom it WAS clearly a bad miss. Both were quite good players, and it seemed uncharacteristic.
I have to agree with Zarte here, even those on the Daily Chat (myself included) were wondering "How did they both miss this?" While you have a valid point that the tone may have put off some people, but on a difficulty scale if you ask me to rate this Round from 1-10, it's a 1 from me, plus the Numbers Rounds before were comparable to this. But still, the facepalm when the easy way out was shown. :(
Ok yeah Ryan you and Zarte are right. I know what I said but now I think about it, Rachel never intended to insult them or anything and I spotted it and it wasn't too difficult so yeah you're both right.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Ryan Lam wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:22 am
IMO, not really.
I didn't see/hear it as anything different to her normal response of "I think you might be kicking yourselves here..."
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I think anyone who knows what 8 x 75 is, and that he is going to take 74 or 76 off it, would be able fairly quickly to work out what 7 x 75 is. It's either a panicky last second spot, or he simply didn't see the 7. I've done both of those. Who hasn't? If you had contestants who were in the middle of a nightmare performance you wouldn't say it. Not the case here, and both of them were amused by what she said.

I really thought when Nick was signed up we were going to get a bit more edge to the programme, with the occasional ridiculing of contestants, but everything is wonderful, marvellous. The most brainless declaration is simply unlucky - occasionally really unlucky. Probably because he doesn't know any better.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

If it was anything, my Mum was playing along last night (and scored 57 v Bob, so an okayish player), also got the same result as Jonathan, and was a bit miffed when the solution was revealed. I just personally think the general "You might kick yourselves" was much more appropriate, though as Zarte pointed out, they were decent players, and I don't think that she would have said that to someone not of their calibre.