Spoilers for Wednesday 18th July 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 16)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Wednesday 18th July 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 16)

Post by Ray Wilding »

GOATIER in R5.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18th July 2018 (Series 79, Prelim 16)

Post by Tom S »

A most impressive performance in the letters by John today-certainly finding his groove, just unfortunate that his numbers are not up to scratch. Though 114 was a bit of late spot by me today though, but got there in the end :P
Christy Cooper
Rookie

Post by Christy Cooper »

Anita's anecdote about Papua New Guinea was very entertaining. I know it's not relevant to the game, but just thought I'd mention it anyway πŸ˜‚
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

VESICANT for a R4 beater.
NEUROPILS for a R10 alt.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Christy Cooper wrote: ↑Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:36 pm Anita's anecdote about Papua New Guinea was very entertaining. I know it's not relevant to the game, but just thought I'd mention it anyway πŸ˜‚
Have to second this...and for that, I respect her for going through all that. Heck, I would have just given up halfway and requested to get the hell out of there!
Tom S wrote: ↑Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:55 pm A most impressive performance in the letters by John today-certainly finding his groove, just unfortunate that his numbers are not up to scratch. Though 114 was a bit of late spot by me today though, but got there in the end :P
Numbers wise you can't say that today...maybe yes yesterday but here it's not easy to spot the solutions. Shame on me I didn't get 114 in R14 and missed everything else except R6. :(
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Ryan Lam wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:39 am
Numbers wise you can't say that today...maybe yes yesterday but here it's not easy to spot the solutions. Shame on me I didn't get 114 in R14 and missed everything else except R6. :(
I thought the numbers were tricky today but wasn't sure if I was having a bad day, lol. Eventually I found 114 as 8 x (7+3) + 25 + 9 or 9 x (7+3) + 25 - 1. (edit after checking back)
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Dunno why 114 was tricky : it's obviously 19x6 , so 25+3-9 x 7-1 with time to spare :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Peter Mabey wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:31 pm Dunno why 114 was tricky : it's obviously 19x6 , so 25+3-9 x 7-1 with time to spare :)
I did that too. Both the method and the time.
Steve Hawdon

Post by Steve Hawdon »

Ray Wilding wrote: ↑Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:28 pm GOATIER in R5.
Not in the dictionary. Goaty is but you cant add ier or iest
samir pilica
Acolyte

Post by samir pilica »

Goatier - a comparative adjective, so would have been valid if declared.
Steve Hawdon

Post by Steve Hawdon »

samir pilica wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:31 pm Goatier - a comparative adjective, so would have been valid if declared.
Sorry. Comparative adjective needs to be specified in the OED to be valid. It is not. Therefore invalid
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Steve Hawdon wrote: ↑Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:34 am
samir pilica wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:31 pm Goatier - a comparative adjective, so would have been valid if declared.
Sorry. Comparative adjective needs to be specified in the OED to be valid. It is not. Therefore invalid
It's not specified in the free online dictionary, but it might be in the paid-for version. It's valid on Apterous so it probably is.
Steve Hawdon

Post by Steve Hawdon »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:46 am
It's not specified in the free online dictionary, but it might be in the paid-for version. It's valid on Apterous so it probably is.
I'm surprised you can't tell from what I've written that I've already looked it up in OED premium. I like to be accurate in what I write.

As u say, it is in Apterous but Apterous is out of line with the OED in this case.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Steve Hawdon wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:35 am

I'm surprised you can't tell from what I've written that I've already looked it up in OED premium. I like to be accurate in what I write.

As u say, it is in Apterous but Apterous is out of line with the OED in this case.
Apterous is generally a very, very good and accurate arbiter for words, and mistakes are extremely rare. I'm fairly certain in words where it's one syllable-y eg TRICK-Y, GAMM-Y, GOAT-Y the superlative forms are also allowable and I would wager that this would almost certainly be allowed on the show. I can't profess I know exactly whether it would or wouldn't be allowed on the show, only the producer would really know that and if it is really such an issue I suggest you take it up with him personally. If I spotted it on the show I'd be going for it, anyway. If a cheese can have a goaty flavour, how do you refer to a cheese that is a bit more so?
Steve Hawdon

Post by Steve Hawdon »

Elliott Mellor wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:41 pm

Apterous is generally a very, very good and accurate arbiter for words, and mistakes are extremely rare. I'm fairly certain in words where it's one syllable-y eg TRICK-Y, GAMM-Y, GOAT-Y the superlative forms are also allowable and I would wager that this would almost certainly be allowed on the show. I can't profess I know exactly whether it would or wouldn't be allowed on the show, only the producer would really know that and if it is really such an issue I suggest you take it up with him personally. If I spotted it on the show I'd be going for it, anyway. If a cheese can have a goaty flavour, how do you refer to a cheese that is a bit more so?
I wouldnt go for it on the show with goatier. The show rule is quite clear as intimated earlier in the thread. Goatier would not be allowed as it is not specified separately in the OED online. That is the rule per Suzy Dent.

Apterous is simply wrong in this instance. If you look at a word like beaky for example, beakiest and beakier are not allowed as they are not specified separately in the OED online premium edition. They are also not allowed on Apterous.

U can describe a cheese or anything else as goatier but it would be disallowed on Countdown
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

Steve Hawdon wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:59 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:41 pm

I wouldnt go for it on the show with goatier. The show rule is quite clear as intimated earlier in the thread. Goatier would not be allowed as it is not specified separately in the OED online. That is the rule per Suzy Dent.

Apterous is simply wrong in this instance. If you look at a word like beaky for example, beakiest and beakier are not allowed as they are not specified separately in the OED online premium edition. They are also not allowed on Apterous.

U can describe a cheese or anything else as goatier but it would be disallowed on Countdown
I may as well clarify that the reason it was ticketed and made valid on apterous is because it WAS specified in the free version. It was probably never in the premium version. And now the comparatives/superlatives have disappeared from the free version again, so it's no longer visible. GOATIER could make a return at some point, but for the time being it would be invalid.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

It'd be interesting to see the verdict of the actual producer on this. I'm happy to concede if wrong but there are certain rules that they apply eg the restaurant rule. If a cheese is more goaty than the other than how do you describe it? GOATIER, GOATIEST seem logical.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Elliott Mellor wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:41 pm If a cheese can have a goaty flavour, how do you refer to a cheese that is a bit more so?
Repulsive?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Fred Mumford wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:26 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:41 pm If a cheese can have a goaty flavour, how do you refer to a cheese that is a bit more so?
Repulsive?
*Likes comment*
Steve Hawdon

Post by Steve Hawdon »

Sarah Millican tried goatier once on Cats Countdown - disallowed
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Steve Hawdon wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:51 pm Sarah Millican tried goatier once on Cats Countdown - disallowed
When?
Steve Hawdon

Post by Steve Hawdon »

Elliott Mellor wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:53 pm
Steve Hawdon wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:51 pm Sarah Millican tried goatier once on Cats Countdown - disallowed
When?
Don't know. Some time back. U could find it on All4
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Steve Hawdon wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:06 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:53 pm
When?
Don't know. Some time back. U could find it on All4
Then it holds no water. Dictionary updates happen all the time and many words disallowed previously are now valid. The only way to know for sure if it would be allowed is to ask Damian himself to clarify.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Elliott Mellor wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:12 pm It'd be interesting to see the verdict of the actual producer on this. I'm happy to concede if wrong but there are certain rules that they apply eg the restaurant rule. If a cheese is more goaty than the other than how do you describe it? GOATIER, GOATIEST seem logical.
The basic rule is that single-syllable adjectives can have ER and EST added by default, whereas with adjectives that have two or more syllables, the comparatives and superlatives have to be explicitly specified. If a cheese is more goaty, then you can call it "more goaty". GOATIER might seem logical, but in this case, I think the rules are quite clear.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:13 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:12 pm It'd be interesting to see the verdict of the actual producer on this. I'm happy to concede if wrong but there are certain rules that they apply eg the restaurant rule. If a cheese is more goaty than the other than how do you describe it? GOATIER, GOATIEST seem logical.
The basic rule is that single-syllable adjectives can have ER and EST added by default, whereas with adjectives that have two or more syllables, the comparatives and superlatives have to be explicitly specified. If a cheese is more goaty, then you can call it "more goaty". GOATIER might seem logical, but in this case, I think the rules are quite clear.
Will just have to hope it doesn't come up if ever one of is on then:P If GOATIER, GOATIEST are indeed not going to be allowed then it's pretty silly tbh, surely a cheese can be goatier than another? Idk.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Elliott Mellor wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:19 pm
Will just have to hope it doesn't come up if ever one of is on then:P If GOATIER, GOATIEST are indeed not going to be allowed then it's pretty silly tbh, surely a cheese can be goatier than another? Idk.
I'm not sure I'd ever describe a cheese as goaty in the first place, let alone compare two goaty cheeses! Does anyone ever call a cheese cowy?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:32 pm

I'm not sure I'd ever describe a cheese as goaty in the first place, let alone compare two goaty cheeses! Does anyone ever call a cheese cowy?
I'd never use half of the words I play on apterous, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't be concerned as to whether they're allowed :lol:
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Elliott Mellor wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:37 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:32 pm

I'd never use half of the words I play on apterous, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't be concerned as to whether they're allowed :lol:
How good are you at countdown Elliott?
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Owen Carroll wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:53 pm
I'd say he's odds on to win a teapot.
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Bradley Horrocks wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:23 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: ↑Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:53 pm
I'd say he's odds on to win a teapot.
Ok. Thanks Bradley. Btw I thought you'd become series champion
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Steve Hawdon wrote: ↑Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:09 pm
Ray Wilding wrote: ↑Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:28 pm GOATIER in R5.
Not in the dictionary. Goaty is but you cant add ier or iest
This.