Spoilers for Thursday 21st June 2018 (Series 78, SF2)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Thursday 21st June 2018 (Series 78, SF2)

Post by Ray Wilding »

Philip Aston vs Dougie Mackay, who will make the final?
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 21st June 2018 (Series 78, SF2)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

1st Numbers Alt.: (100 + 3 * 6 - 75 / 25) * 6
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

The 690 miss by Philip made things interesting, but still very early days....
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

ANATTOS in R8
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

GARTERED as alternative to REGRATED :)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Paul's always one of my favourite dc guests - love the involvement of everyone and light heartedness as opposed to just a turgid anecdote about something that happened to them when they were in Aberdeen 6 years ago.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:35 pm Paul's always one of my favourite dc guests - love the involvement of everyone and light heartedness as opposed to just a turgid anecdote about something that happened to them when they were in Aberdeen 6 years ago.
Totally this.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

PURGEES in R10
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

R14 was interesting - Philip seemed surprised that 84*8 was 672, leading me to believe he'd miscalculated it and just fudged 670 from there (unless you wanted to be further from the target you'd surely stop at 672) . Not that it would have made any difference in the end, but certainly raises the issue as to whether you should be required to be correct at intermediate stages.

Nevertheless, a great game today and a thoroughly deserved spot in the final for Philip (the rematch we wanted!) - I look forward to seeing more linguistic excellence from you and whatever happens tomorrow you've done yourself very proud :)

Commiserations to Dougie though, really gave it everything he'd got and was a very talented player as well - could have even forced a crucial had he got the last nums. Been a thoroughly likable and humble contestant, so congratulations if you're watching :)
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Good game today by both. Well done Philip- a very worthy finalist and commiserations to Dougie, who gave a great portrayal of himself ability and personality wise.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Congrats Philip! Cannot wait for tomorrow😄. Bad luck dougie. You woulda won on an ordinary day in my opinion. And Rachel's prediction about a rematch in the finals FINALLY came true. Looking forward to it. But how come you were in the champions chair today Philip?
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Well I'm a bit late as I had other things to do from the time the show finished and the time I'm writing this so apologies for the delay...

Letters: Philip's MONRADITE obviously was the key to the game. He's only the third person to spot this after Noel McIlveny and Eoin Jackson did last year in December. (Just remember, an invalid anagram to this word is DOMINATER.) Well done to both players for spotting CAMEOS in R1 and PURITAN in R12. GAYNESS and PERUSE from Philip were also two good words he spotted as well!

Numbers: All except R14 were of Normal Difficulty (Note that I'm using this word for the very first time in the FInals.) If you think too much and overlook, you could end up missing the solution which is exactly what happened to me in R3 and R9...perhaps I was distracted by the World Cup match I was listening in to simultaneously today... (Yeah I know what you're thinking...what a good excuse.. ;) )

Conundrum: Lucky guess from me today and it was on my side for I correctly guessed it in 16 seconds! I have a gut feeling the GF's Conundrum tomorrow is going to be super hard...in all my five years watching the show I have NOT solved a single GF Conundrum...

Dougie was a strong contender, however because of Philip's MONRADITE spot in R2, it was all but impossible to beat him. In all honesty, I'm sure most of us were predicting Philip to win already but hey, Dougie's a good contender and lovely chap, but in the end someone has to be stopped in his tracks and unfortunately, it's the latter. Both "seed upsetters" fought a good battle but in the end, it's Philip who gets to see Zarte once again tomorrow! Philip continues on wth 8 Wins and 965 Points while Dougie finishes with 8 Wins and 932 Points, 104 Points more than Chris Thorn who is behind him! That just shows how upsets can really mess the Points Table that personally have in my Recap sheet...

The ultimate battle we've all been waiting for, a highly anticipated Grand Final of Series 78, the first Rematch since Series 70 back in 2013 and of course, after 115 Contestants it's down to the Final Two. "Goliath" Zarte Siempre vs "David" Philip Aston, will it end in sorrow and misery once again like the match on 1st March or will it end the same way but in a more consolable state? Even so, could there be a chance of an upset? Philip had already hinted it may not be easy because he revealed in the Daily Chat had Zarte played aganist him today, he would've lost by a huge margin. Find out tomorrow to see who gets to lift the coveted Richard Whiteley Memorial Trophy and of course, go home with a leather-bound set of OED Dictionaries (Although to suit modern times, I would rather have a copy of the full ODO with lifetime updates...)! Oh boy I need to get my Photographs ready for the Wiki Page too!

Progress:
QF1 (14 June): Zarte Siempre vs Jan Pask (124 - 19)
QF2 (15 June): Toby McDonald vs Philip Aston (97 - 104)
QF3 (18 June): Chris Thorn vs Dougie Mackay (68 - 97)
QF4 (19 June): Phil Davies vs Paul Harper (81 - 69)
SF1 (20 June): Zarte Siempre vs Phil Davies (112 - 88)
SF2 (21 June): Philip Aston vs Dougie Mackay (98 - 76)
GF (22 June): Zarte Siempre vs Philip Aston
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Ryan Lam wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 pm
Dougie was a strong contender, however because of Philip's MONRADITE spot in R2, it was all but impossible to beat him.
I disagree. There were a few rounds that he missed gettable maxes on and had Dougie got r14 he'd have forced a crucial. It wasn't the strongest performance we've seen from him, but all that matters is it was enough :)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

The trick Paul did is fairly simple to work out, but effective nonetheless :)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Ryan Lam wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 pm Well I'm a bit late as I had other things to do from the time the show finished and the time I'm writing this so apologies for the delay...

Letters: Philip's MONRADITE obviously was the key to the game. He's only the third person to spot this after Noel McIlveny and Eoin Jackson did last year in December. (Just remember, an invalid anagram to this word is DOMINATER.) Well done to both players for spotting CAMEOS in R1 and PURITAN in R12. GAYNESS and PERUSE from Philip were also two good words he spotted as well!

Numbers: All except R14 were of Normal Difficulty (Note that I'm using this word for the very first time in the FInals.) If you think too much and overlook, you could end up missing the solution which is exactly what happened to me in R3 and R9...perhaps I was distracted by the World Cup match I was listening in to simultaneously today... (Yeah I know what you're thinking...what a good excuse.. ;) )

Conundrum: Lucky guess from me today and it was on my side for I correctly guessed it in 16 seconds! I have a gut feeling the GF's Conundrum tomorrow is going to be super hard...in all my five years watching the show I have NOT solved a single GF Conundrum...

Dougie was a strong contender, however because of Philip's MONRADITE spot in R2, it was all but impossible to beat him. In all honesty, I'm sure most of us were predicting Philip to win already but hey, Dougie's a good contender and lovely chap, but in the end someone has to be stopped in his tracks and unfortunately, it's the latter. Both "seed upsetters" fought a good battle but in the end, it's Philip who gets to see Zarte once again tomorrow! Philip continues on wth 8 Wins and 965 Points while Dougie finishes with 8 Wins and 932 Points, 104 Points more than Chris Thorn who is behind him! That just shows how upsets can really mess the Points Table that personally have in my Recap sheet...

The ultimate battle we've all been waiting for, a highly anticipated Grand Final of Series 78, the first Rematch since Series 70 back in 2013 and of course, after 115 Contestants it's down to the Final Two. "Goliath" Zarte Siempre vs "David" Philip Aston, will it end in sorrow and misery once again like the match on 1st March or will it end the same way but in a more consolable state? Even so, could there be a chance of an upset? Philip had already hinted it may not be easy because he revealed in the Daily Chat had Zarte played aganist him today, he would've lost by a huge margin. Find out tomorrow to see who gets to lift the coveted Richard Whiteley Memorial Trophy and of course, go home with a leather-bound set of OED Dictionaries (Although to suit modern times, I would rather have a copy of the full ODO with lifetime updates...)! Oh boy I need to get my Photographs ready for the Wiki Page too!

Progress:
QF1 (14 June): Zarte Siempre vs Jan Pask (124 - 19)
QF2 (15 June): Toby McDonald vs Philip Aston (97 - 104)
QF3 (18 June): Chris Thorn vs Dougie Mackay (68 - 97)
QF4 (19 June): Phil Davies vs Paul Harper (81 - 69)
SF1 (20 June): Zarte Siempre vs Phil Davies (112 - 88)
SF2 (21 June): Philip Aston vs Dougie Mackay (98 - 76)
GF (22 June): Zarte Siempre vs Philip Aston
What photos you putting on the wiki Ryan?
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Owen Carroll wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:03 pm
What photos you putting on the wiki Ryan?
If you even bother to read up Series 76 and Series 77's Main Page, it's the Prize Presentation and a shot of the Winner holding the Trophy. If Zarte wins, I hope the camera gets a nice shot of him, Tom's better shots were obscured by the Credits last year which left me disappointed.

(P.S. Just a reminder please quote only the relevant part of my post to avoid wasting my time to figure out what are you trying to say.)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Figured you were talking about the presentation but was just wondering. Didn't know you posted them
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Have been a big fan of Paul Zenon for years, and he is one of my favourite DC guests, but the "trick" today was really lame!

Congrats to Zarte and Philip for reaching the final - hopefully will be a cracker :D
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 21st June 2018 (Series 78, SF2

Post by Owen Carroll »

How come Philip was on the champion's chair when dougie is higher than him in seeding
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Owen Carroll wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:47 pm How come Philip was on the champion's chair when dougie is higher than him in seeding
I don't think the producer's could be faffed, apparently.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Tom S wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:53 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:47 pm How come Philip was on the champion's chair when dougie is higher than him in seeding
I kinda feel made fun of but I know you're not making fun of me. Anyway, they should just stick to the rules or whatever they are.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Owen Carroll wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 pm
I kinda feel made fun of but I know you're not making fun of me. Anyway, they should just stick to the rules or whatever they are.
I am genuinely not trying to make fun of you or anyone- it was a comment made by Philip Aston online and that the producers could not be bothered to stick to the seeding.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Tom S wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:14 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 pm

I am genuinely not trying to make fun of you or anyone- it was a comment made by Philip Aston online and that the producers could not be bothered to stick to the seeding.
Oh. Sorry. But then why not every other time?
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Maybe it goes by the seeding of the match Philip won, ie seed 2 v seed 7, being higher than the seeding of the match Dougie won, which was either 3 v 6 or 4 v 5. But then that's just me guessing.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Philip Wilson wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:01 pm
Maybe it goes by the seeding of the match Philip won, ie seed 2 v seed 7, being higher than the seeding of the match Dougie won, which was either 3 v 6 or 4 v 5. But then that's just me guessing.
Fair enough. Thanks
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:35 pm Paul's always one of my favourite dc guests - love the involvement of everyone and light heartedness as opposed to just a turgid anecdote about something that happened to them when they were in Aberdeen 6 years ago.
Same. I'm getting sick of that.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:59 pm R14 was interesting - Philip seemed surprised that 84*8 was 672, leading me to believe he'd miscalculated it and just fudged 670 from there (unless you wanted to be further from the target you'd surely stop at 672) . Not that it would have made any difference in the end, but certainly raises the issue as to whether you should be required to be correct at intermediate stages.

Nevertheless, a great game today and a thoroughly deserved spot in the final for Philip (the rematch we wanted!) - I look forward to seeing more linguistic excellence from you and whatever happens tomorrow you've done yourself very proud :)

Commiserations to Dougie though, really gave it everything he'd got and was a very talented player as well - could have even forced a crucial had he got the last nums. Been a thoroughly likable and humble contestant, so congratulations if you're watching :)
Yeah I was confused as to why Philip didn't stop at 672.