Spoilers for Monday 18th June 2018 (Series 78, QF3)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Monday 18th June 2018 (Series 78, QF3)

Post by Ray Wilding »

Chris Thorn vs Dougie Mackay, winner faces Philip Aston on Thursday.

(7+5)*10*6-3-1 in R9
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Monday 18th June 2018 (Series 78, QF3)

Post by Ryan Lam »

WAVELET in R13.

Letters: It was pretty much even between both contestants today, although I have to commend Chris' SERRANO in R5 and Dougie's THIMBLE in R8. Then, it was DOVETAILS in R12 that ultimately sealed Dougie's fate as he is now facing Philip on Thursday! I'm sure Dougie's sorry to make Chris feel so VIOLATED there. :lol:

Numbers: Chris is back at his usual tactic of throwing us off with the six small although he went with it for both rounds instead of just one which was VERY unusual. Alarm Bells should have rung after Dougie snatched 10 points from him in R3 but wait, what's this, he gambled another time...and lost! I would only say the last one was genuinely difficult and tricky. It was very lucky and fortunate that there were "10"s in both R3 and R9, otherwise the overall difficulty would've be much higher. How did Rachel miss R9's solution? Even I got it after thinking of multiples of 6 rather than multiples of 9 since my method was identical to Dougie's. Hmm...

Conundrum: Blanked out on this one, I had no idea...also I didn't know the meaning of the word beforehand so pass again... :(

So there you have it, I was so utterly right about Chris Thorn's six small tactic which I had predicted way back in end-January, if he can't succeed it would prove fatal...and indeed it did! :o I have a feeling those moves by him were to throw the opponent off deliberately even though he himself couldn't cope with it, and voila, it backfired spectacularly on him today when Dougie solved R3 perfectly and beat him in R9. I'm sure if he had opted for 1L like he did in his Prelims, he probably would have fared slightly better although Dougie ultimately sealed his fate with DOVETAILS like I mentioned above. Oh well, sometimes you have to know your limits, and unfortunately, Chris gambled and lost. Chris ends up with 8 Wins and 828 Points while Dougie continues on with 8 Wins and 856 Points, overtaking the very person he defeated today as of the time of writing.

Philip Aston now faces Dougie Mackay come Thursday. Two upsets now, do I foresee a third coming? We'll just have to wait and see...last Quarter-Finals tomorrow, "Hot On the Heels Ex-Cop" Phil Davies vs "Two-Time Finalist after 22 Years" Paul Harper. Who will face Zarte the day after that?

Progress:
QF1 (14 June): Zarte Siempre vs Jan Pask (124 - 19)
QF2 (15 June): Toby McDonald vs Philip Aston (97 - 104)
QF3 (18 June): Chris Thorn vs Dougie Mackay (68 - 97)
QF4 (19 June): Phil Davies vs Paul Harper
SF1 (20 June): Zarte Siempre vs (QF4 Winner)
SF2 (21 June): Philip Aston vs Dougie Mackay
GF (22 June): (SF1 Winner) vs (SF2 Winner)
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

I remember I actually got R9 playing in the audience, but didn't get it this time. :lol:

Also picked up on a slight little error by Nick. He said that Philip beat me YESTERDAY, rather than FRIDAY.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

R1: boast
R2: seeming
R3: 627. I got the 9 a different way. Had I concentrated more, mighta got it at the last second
R4: amino. Was really thinking about zooman and prob would have offered it were I in dougie's place
R5: roads. What about roaders
R6: same way
R7: gossip
R8: maltier
R9: same as dougie
R10: updater. Not in.
R11:saw quidders but ain't in
R12: violated
R13: wallet
R14 750. Wouldn't have scored then
R15 was certain about reservice but no.

Well done dougie and bad luck Chris. It looks like You'd have won against me Chris if it's any consolation. Also, has anyone else noticed that tomorrow's game (his 14th) will be the first time Paul plays in the challenger's chair?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Yeah Chris you'd have won.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Good game- in terms of standard Dougie deserved that- Dovetails was a great spot for a non-apterite. :)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

I'm actually surprised I missed dovetails
Ciaran McCarthy
Rookie

Post by Ciaran McCarthy »

3rd number round:-

10 x 6 x (7+5) - (3+1)
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

Ciaran McCarthy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:15 am 3rd number round:-

10 x 6 x (7+5) - (3+1)
Indeed. Not that complicated, so I was quite surprised Rachel missed it in 30 seconds and then very surprised she didn't get it over the ad break, unless it was cut.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Minor oddity I noticed during the credits: The clock was reset to its starting position, while after an unsolved conundrum it's usually left in the bottom position with all 30 lights lit.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.