Spoilers for Friday 15th June 2018 (Series 78, QF2)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Friday 15th June 2018 (Series 78, QF2)

Post by Ray Wilding »

Toby McDonald vs Philip Aston, I have a feeling this will be close - very excited for this game.

BOOFHEAD in R8
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers for Friday 15th June 2018 (Series 78, QF2)

Post by Joyce Phillips »

A great game. Just a shame someone had to lose.
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Post by Joyce Phillips »

A truly great game. Just a shame someone had to lose. Well done Philip.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Well done Philip. I didn't think you'd choose 3l in the final selection though. And well done to Toby for getting this far Andy for making this a brilliant game to watch.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Great game by both - should really have been a semi game, but vwp Toby- you were fab throughout:)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Thoroughly enjoyable game to watch, one of the best I've ever seen so very well done chaps. :) It's a great shame anyone had to lose that.

Firstly, congratulations to Philip - that was excellent play by you, you'd have been a very tough opponent to anyone playing like that (ARONIA under pressure was super, 11 maxes too).

Many congratulations due to Toby though - you've been a great ambassador for countdown (the first octochamp born in the 21st century nonetheless). It's a shame you had to be the one to play Philip in the quarters but you played a great game and should be very proud of how you did. Perhaps a COC invite isn't even out of the question...
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

Joyce Phillips wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:49 pm A truly great game. Just a shame someone had to lose. Well done Philip.
Yeah, that was a shame, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. I think Philip deserved the win more than me though. :)
Owen Carroll wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:34 pm Well done Philip. I didn't think you'd choose 3l in the final selection though. And well done to Toby for getting this far Andy for making this a brilliant game to watch.
Thanks Owen! Philip did brilliantly. :)
Tom S wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:56 pm Great game by both - should really have been a semi game, but vwp Toby- you were fab throughout:)
Cheers Tom! :)
Elliott Mellor wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:29 pm Thoroughly enjoyable game to watch, one of the best I've ever seen so very well done chaps. :) It's a great shame anyone had to lose that.

Firstly, congratulations to Philip - that was excellent play by you, you'd have been a very tough opponent to anyone playing like that (ARONIA under pressure was super, 11 maxes too).

Many congratulations due to Toby though - you've been a great ambassador for countdown (the first octochamp born in the 21st century nonetheless). It's a shame you had to be the one to play Philip in the quarters but you played a great game and should be very proud of how you did. Perhaps a COC invite isn't even out of the question...
Cheers Elliott! It was a shame, but I am very proud. About CoC, I guess I just need to keep my fingers crossed. :)
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Alright I may be late in the game because China refuses to let me use Lexplorer to do my individual recapping (Because it uses a Google Java Applet unfortunately and they blocked it so too bad..), but I've just finished watching it and here's my analysis but just one alternative today:

Simpler Alternative for R14: (100 x 4) - 25 + (50 ÷ 10)

Letters: Good job on spotting ALUNITE for both Toby and Philip in R5 (Although that's what I spotted almost immediately being a person that likes Chemistry :) ). Wow, well done to Philip for spotting ARONIA in R7 and MIDDLER in R10, not to mention Toby's FOOTBED spot in R8 and PECTASE in R13 too!

Numbers: Two words from me: TOO EASY. And I'm glad both players got all 40 points from today's match so no further comment from me. Hopefully we'll get harder ones next week...the targets generated IMO is unsuitable for a Finals Match! Capital Ts and Inverted Ts, how lovely! ;)

Conundrum: Failed at today's one, I incorrectly guessed it as BEDENTURE. Oh well, it's a word I've never heard of before even though I studied Economics so I can forgive myself for not knowing this beforehand.

Overall, it was definitely a much better and more pleasant final to watch compared to the previous one. I was right that this would end up in a Crucial Conundrum given how good both players were today, but a hard conundrum unfortunately prevented Toby from winning. I posted on the forum back in end-May I'm sorry to whoever will be eliminated and it's Toby we know now. :( But hey, two young Apterites facing each other, they really have a lot of potential and to watch them was absolutely amazing! Not to mention at the end, Philip gesturing "Come at me" to Zarte which I assume he was in the Audience watching! :lol: Hopefully, the rematch (If it does happen and at the rate I'm seeing it will), it will not be as painful as the game on 1st March. Toby ends his run with 8 Wins and 979 Points while Philip continues on with 7 Wins and 867 Points, overtaking Dougie as of the time of writing.

Enjoy the weekend, and for those on the Daily Chat on Apterous, I'm returning on Monday so don't worry, I hoped you hadn't missed me too much. :) Next up, "Forever Wearing a Hawaiian Shirt" Chris Thorn vs "Missed out on Octochampdon by a teeny bit" Dougie Mackay, hopefully if Chris succeeds in his six small tactic he will win but if it doesn't, it could prove fatal...

Progress:
QF1 (14 June): Zarte Siempre vs Jan Pask (124 - 19)
QF2 (15 June): Toby McDonald vs Philip Aston (97 - 104)
QF3 (18 June): Chris Thorn vs Dougie Mackay
QF4 (19 June): Phil Davies vs Paul Harper
SF1 (20 June): Zarte Siempre vs (QF4 Winner)
SF2 (21 June): Philip Aston vs (QF3 Winner)
GF (22 June): (SF1 Winner) vs (SF2 Winner)
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

There are actually a couple of things I want to say about this show:

1) In R5, when we both had ALUNITE (you may not have noticed this, but I took a while looking at Philip's paper), I couldn't see where he'd written it. I didn't want to say he didn't have it though because I've never heard of that happening before.

2) In R7, I did actually have a 6 written down which was NARIAL (which is actually valid), but I wasn't sure enough. It wouldn't have affected the outcome of the match though. The score would have been 103-104.

3) In one of my business lessons recently at school, I came across the word DEBENTURE, so I could probably blame my teacher for losing. :P
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

R1: Founter. But it's not in
R2. Deviate
R3. Same method I think
R4: Jointers
R5: entail
R6: Same as Toby
R7: Wondered about onrail
R8: Booted
R9: Same way
R10: Waddler
R11: Silages
R12: grasper
R13: Creates
R14: (100*4)-(10*2)=380
R15: woulda gone for deuberent or dueberent. I've kinda forgotten how I spelt it. Woulda been wrong though.

So yeah I woulda lost but I'd have gotten the kryptonite!!!!!!!!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yeah, basically what everyone else has said. Plus my prediction that Philip would win by 100 points stands me in good stead in the predictions game.
Ryan Lam wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:03 am Simpler Alternative for R14: (100 x 4) - 25 + (50 ÷ 10)
I'm not convinced. It's pretty clunky, and you've used an extra number. If there's a "standard method", it's what Owen put - 100*4-2*10=380.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:50 pm
Ryan Lam wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:03 am Simpler Alternative for R14: (100 x 4) - 25 + (50 ÷ 10)
I'm not convinced. It's pretty clunky, and you've used an extra number. If there's a "standard method", it's what Owen put - 100*4-2*10=380.
Ok to clarify, my definition of "simpler" is a method that an average person can think of without being too complex. You're not wrong, Owen's method is even simpler than mine, but surely it's simpler than thinking of a 95 x 4 straightaway right? The point is, there's loads of easy methods out there in that round, I'm just only sharing what I thought of when I watched the show.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Ryan Lam wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:10 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:50 pm
Ok to clarify, my definition of "simpler" is a method that an average person can think of without being too complex. You're not wrong, Owen's method is even simpler than mine, but surely it's simpler than thinking of a 95 x 4 straightaway right? The point is, there's loads of easy methods out there in that round, I'm just only sharing what I thought of when I watched the show.
Nothing wrong with that mate! Sharing what you thought
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

I don't know what's gonna happen but I'm betting that Philip will win in his semi
Zubair Patel
Rookie

Post by Zubair Patel »

Cheers for a cracking match guys!
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Toby McDonald wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:34 pm There are actually a couple of things I want to say about this show:

1) In R5, when we both had ALUNITE (you may not have noticed this, but I took a while looking at Philip's paper), I couldn't see where he'd written it. I didn't want to say he didn't have it though because I've never heard of that happening before.

2) In R7, I did actually have a 6 written down which was NARIAL (which is actually valid), but I wasn't sure enough. It wouldn't have affected the outcome of the match though. The score would have been 103-104.

3) In one of my business lessons recently at school, I came across the word DEBENTURE, so I could probably blame my teacher for losing. :P
Toby this reminds me, in round 7, when you chose a vowel as the final letter, were you hoping for an e for aileron?
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

I was hoping for an E, but for LLANERO instead. But ALLERION would have been there for 8.