Spoilers for Friday 16th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 49)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Friday 16th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 49)

Post by Ray Wilding »

OUTASIGHT in R1 :D
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Friday 16th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 49)

Post by Peter Mabey »

A simpler way : (25-9)x5x6 = 480
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

TETRODES in ROSETTED round.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Loved the way the Audience sighed when they couldn't unscramble HUBREGION for NEIGHBOUR at the end, the only way I solved it was because my Economics Teacher linked all three separate words during the Topic of Globalization...that goes for me for the R6 and R14...misdeclared and couldn't see the 1 for 756 when it was so obvious, maybe I should take Philip's advice and practice for Numbers, I've noticed I kept stumbling for the last few days for the Daily Duel...

Loved the first TTT, I'm learning how to drive an Auto Car and luckily I don't have to worry about that GEARSTICK and the clutch. What a close shave, remember James Kennedy vs Rania Abdul-Wahab? Phew...What a close shave, remember James Kennedy vs Rania Abdul-Wahab? Phew...

(P.S. I won't be on the Daily Chat due to House Renovations cutting off Internet access for up to two weeks, hopefully the workers can finish up before Good Friday and it'll be back to usual for me there! I personally wish for the Monday after GMT becomes BST...:) )
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ray Wilding wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:15 pm OUTASIGHT in R1 :D
I saw that too but assumed it wasn't in. And I thought you were probably joking until I checked just now!
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Interestingly, John had MODIST incorrectly disallowed- which meant that he should have won the game!
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Tom S wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:06 pm Interestingly, John had MODIST incorrectly disallowed- which meant that he should have won the game!
I don't think he did, based on the OED online entry, which says it is the US equivalent of "modiste".

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/modist

That's not the same as declaring a word more commonly used in the US but spelt the same way in the UK.

I got the feeling though that he was a bit peeved after both that and Rachel (quite reasonably) declaring him out of time on the numbers, and allowed himself to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

But it's easy sitting here, I'd have probably done exactly the same.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Keith Bennett wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:10 pm
Tom S wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:06 pm Interestingly, John had MODIST incorrectly disallowed- which meant that he should have won the game!
I don't think he did, based on the OED online entry, which says it is the US equivalent of "modiste".

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/modist

That's not the same as declaring a word more commonly used in the US but spelt the same way in the UK.

I got the feeling though that he was a bit peeved after both that and Rachel (quite reasonably) declaring him out of time on the numbers, and allowed himself to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

But it's easy sitting here, I'd have probably done exactly the same.
The entry is quite unclear. It says "US= "modiste"", which looks like it's saying that the US spelling is (equals) MODISTE. It doesn't have a definition given though, suggesting that it might just be a short entry to mention the US spelling. If you go to MODISTE, it has a proper entry with definition, but it doesn't mention any US spelling and it gives a different origin for the word, as well as being two centuries later than for MODIST. Conclusion? Don't ask me. It's an awful dictionary. Like, really bad.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Interesting that the first 7 letters in round 4 were MARJUNI...., annoying the next 2 letters were consonants, so no MARIJUANA... :P :P :P

Although the next 2 vowels were O & A. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

James Robinson wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:05 pm Interesting that the first 7 letters in round 4 were MARJUNI...., annoying the next 2 letters were consonants, so no MARIJUANA... :P :P :P

A few months late aren't ya?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:25 pm
James Robinson wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:05 pm Interesting that the first 7 letters in round 4 were MARJUNI...., annoying the next 2 letters were consonants, so no MARIJUANA... :P :P :P

A few months late aren't ya?
All in moderation... :P :P