Spoilers for Wednesday 14th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 47)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Wednesday 14th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 47)

Post by Ray Wilding »

I was beaten with REMAINER and on the conundrum.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 14th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 47)

Post by Ryan Lam »

Ray Wilding wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:53 pm I was beaten with REMAINER and on the conundrum.
Same here, but I had no idea what the answer was to the Conundrum.

COPLANAR in R11 and Alternative for R9 if you want to use all the Numbers: (100 x (7 + 1)) - ((6 + 4) x 2)

The last two days have been dismal in terms of the Numbers Rounds...but hey congratulations Ted, you clinched a teapot for your family whereas Jack couldn't because of Michael Pfeffer!
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Quality still at a low level today. It does frustrate me though when Rachel says that there are many options when a sum was missed. She could do it for blatantly obvious ones, but I thought that 780 was not blatantly obvious. Anyways, quality still low today, though nice conundrum solve from Patrick today and Ted can give his son the teapot which he deserves more....
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Ryan Lam wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:00 pm
Ray Wilding wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:53 pm I was beaten with REMAINER and on the conundrum.
Same here, but I had no idea what the answer was to the Conundrum.

COPLANAR in R11 and Alternative for R9 if you want to use all the Numbers: (100 x (7 + 1)) - ((6 + 4) x 2)

The last two days have been dismal in terms of the Numbers Rounds...but hey congratulations Ted, you clinched a teapot for your family whereas Jack couldn't because of Michael Pfeffer!
612 was a particularly bad miss by Patrick.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Btw- Patrick's appearance seems to have generated a lot of interest on his twitter page-https://twitter.com/Patrick_35_1888/sta ... 1411030016
Zarte needs to do some catch-up ;) ;) . Though Patrick would have needed to spend years to get where Zarte is Countdown-wise...
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

At least some rise in play today with an alright challenger..
Still quite dire though
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Suzi Perry was on the ball today as she uttered the comment after a letters selection "yeah, just a jumble of letters that."
I never knew that...
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Yesterday:
Tom S wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:04 pm Crap standard of play today.
Elliott Mellor wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:35 pm "2 good players"
mmm...yeah....
No disrespect intended but it stretches the definition of good a bit...
And today:
Tom S wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:01 pm Quality still at a low level today.
Elliott Mellor wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:16 pm At least some rise in play today with an alright challenger..
Still quite dire though
Sigh.

Barbed comments like these never add anything useful to the discussion. All they serve to do is insult the contestants, and make our forum look like a cliquey in-crowd acting all superior over everyone else.

We've just spent the last week and a half watching Zarte get the second highest total ever. Of course most other contestants aren't going to compare to him, what were you expecting? As it happens, Ted scored six maxes today, which is higher than the average performance in series 77.

There's no reason why we can't give an honest opinion of the game in a reasonable way - comments like "X was lucky to win that game", "that was a bad numbers miss", "looks like his form has dropped from yesterday" are seen regularly. But if it's just a cheap insult with no discussion value at all, why post it? As if Patrick had the sheer cheek to win a teapot when stronger players haven't?

Different people will have different ideas of where the line is between genuine and frank discussion and valueless insults, but Countdown contestants can and do read this forum, so wherever you think that line is, please remember that you shouldn't be posting anything about a contestant that you wouldn't want them to read.

Of course, anyone who posts comments whining about the standard of play on the show must be pretty secure in their own abilities at the game, so why not apply now if you haven't already? I'm sure everyone in the spoiler thread will be nice about it when you appear on TV.