Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Post Reply
Ray Wilding
Enthusiast
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Ray Wilding » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:44 pm

AIRPHONES alt to ORPHANISE in R10

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8438
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:46 pm

Good to see Rachel calling bullshit on Nick's pseudoscience at the beginning.

Ray Wilding
Enthusiast
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Ray Wilding » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:50 pm

UPDO in R13

Tom S
Devotee
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Tom S » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:59 pm

FADO to beat FAD and POD in R13 :)

User avatar
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Bradley Horrocks » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Opiumate R5
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH

Ian Birdman
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:36 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Ian Birdman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:26 pm

Brilliant performance (again) Z man well done :-)

Does anyone feel like a Birdman (mini) rant? If you do, you're in luck! Anyway...

I sometimes feel like the priorities of the spoiler threads are somewhat incorrect. Zarte nails 130 (including a word which was unpencilled on apterous at the time) and is on track for the 3rd highest cumulative score ever. However this thread so far just consists of people posting words (with or without lexplorer) that "beat" him.

Has anyone even written well done?!

I probably being hypersensitive but it just seems bizarre to me. I'm appreciate that one of the specific reasons for the spoilers thread is to post words that are missed but to JUST do this and not comment at all seems a bit weird.

Maybe people are waiting to comment when the run is complete, maybe people are commenting on apterous, maybe they already know how he did...I don't know.

This isn't a criticism of the specific posters here (many of whom are really like), more a general comment on the way in which the spoilers threads just seem really narrow and are focused purely all these words that contestants miss.

Just my 2 cents anyway...

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Dadford, Buckinghamshire

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Zarte Siempre » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:45 pm

Thanks Ian!

As the current recipient of the "You missed this" stuff - I don't really mind, but at the same time, I don't necessarily disagree with you in principle. I suppose when there are overall, very few episodes with anyone from here in them, it can become the norm. We're not likely to congratulate someone who isn't around. And I can do it as much as the next person

I do miss the days when there'd be more general chat though - "I like what X is wearing", "Oh dear, Y's DC spot was fucking awful", "Ha, great teaser clue today" etc. - Yesterday's doodling conversation was hilarious and made the episode for me, both at the time and on TV. But only Gev commented on that and even he was doing it from a more serious grouchy point of view. I could potentially have offered some insights at some points over the last few days, but it didn't really seem to fit the tone.

So yeah, I dunno. Not a huge deal either way, but it's a fair point to raise.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Elliott Mellor » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:27 pm

Ian Birdman wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:26 pm
Brilliant performance (again) Z man well done :-)

Does anyone feel like a Birdman (mini) rant? If you do, you're in luck! Anyway...

I sometimes feel like the priorities of the spoiler threads are somewhat incorrect. Zarte nails 130 (including a word which was unpencilled on apterous at the time) and is on track for the 3rd highest cumulative score ever. However this thread so far just consists of people posting words (with or without lexplorer) that "beat" him.

Has anyone even written well done?!

I probably being hypersensitive but it just seems bizarre to me. I'm appreciate that one of the specific reasons for the spoilers thread is to post words that are missed but to JUST do this and not comment at all seems a bit weird.

Maybe people are waiting to comment when the run is complete, maybe people are commenting on apterous, maybe they already know how he did...I don't know.

This isn't a criticism of the specific posters here (many of whom are really like), more a general comment on the way in which the spoilers threads just seem really narrow and are focused purely all these words that contestants miss.

Just my 2 cents anyway...
It's okay, Birdman rants are great to read :D

Sort of inclined to agree tbh, it's nice when occasionally someone acknowledges they were beaten as well as posting alts and the like (with Zarte on there isn't very many beaters to post it must be said:P)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8438
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:09 pm

If I post anything while watching the game, I'm normally on my phone rather than my laptop so I don't normally put long elaborate posts. I'm also on my phone now. That's all.

But yeah, Zarte's been great, although he still might not make the 1000 points he needs to qualify for the quarter finals.

User avatar
Peter Thomas
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 12:44 am

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Peter Thomas » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:34 pm

Zarte's awesome obviously, but has anyone else ever scored with a three letter word declaration? If so, I suspect it wouldn't be someone with a near-perfect record of century game scores!

Tom S
Devotee
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Tom S » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Peter Thomas wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:34 pm
Zarte's awesome obviously, but has anyone else ever scored with a three letter word declaration? If so, I suspect it wouldn't be someone with a near-perfect record of century game scores!
There have been a few occasions where this has occurred Peter, twice if I recall rightly in the last series (1 win, 1 loss), as I recall a declaration being made by Lawrie Western, who won the round after his opponent Owen Taaffe declared an invalid 6 APOXIA, on his show, but he did not go on to reach the same heights as Zarte is doing at the moment...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDtWQCGwLLc

User avatar
Ian Fitzpatrick
Enthusiast
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:39 am

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:45 pm

I do miss the days when there'd be more general chat though - "I like what X is wearing", "Oh dear, Y's DC spot was fucking awful", "Ha, great teaser clue today" etc. - Yesterday's doodling conversation was hilarious and made the episode for me, both at the time and on TV. But only Gev commented on that and even he was doing it from a more serious grouchy point of view. I could potentially have offered some insights at some points over the last few days, but it didn't really seem to fit the tone.

So yeah, I dunno. Not a huge deal either way, but it's a fair point to raise.
The forum was much more interesting when it contained the type of comments you allude to, but if I remember correctly many posts of that ilk were shouted down by members perhaps taking it all too seriously. I'd go along with Ian and Zarte and bring back the fun. Including how Tom S got on with his scoring at home :)
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum

Philip Wilson
Devotee
Posts: 541
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Philip Wilson » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:36 pm

Hi! Had a similar conversation to Ian's point with someone at Bristol and I think we kinda concluded that those who might mind most probably won't see this thread anyway.
I think I recall the contestant in the champion's chair having a total score of 3 not too long ago because I posted how it was unusual. It was after an octochamp had been on 8 times and there were 2 new contestants.
And on the point about mentioning other things, the dc guest looks really like Diana Dors, but with black hair.
Ps: Well done Zarte :-)

Toby McDonald
Acolyte
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Toby McDonald » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Tom S wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:54 pm
Peter Thomas wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:34 pm
Zarte's awesome obviously, but has anyone else ever scored with a three letter word declaration? If so, I suspect it wouldn't be someone with a near-perfect record of century game scores!
There have been a few occasions where this has occurred Peter, twice if I recall rightly in the last series (1 win, 1 loss), as I recall a declaration being made by Lawrie Western, who won the round after his opponent Owen Taaffe declared an invalid 6 APOXIA, on his show, but he did not go on to reach the same heights as Zarte is doing at the moment...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDtWQCGwLLc
Here's another one as well: https://youtu.be/E3vmoac0R2Y

Tim Down
Rookie
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:45 am

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 7th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 42)

Post by Tim Down » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:37 pm

Peter Thomas wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:34 pm
Zarte's awesome obviously, but has anyone else ever scored with a three letter word declaration? If so, I suspect it wouldn't be someone with a near-perfect record of century game scores!
I did (eh eh, nudge nudge), although I was not in anything like Zarte's league, as is apparent from that link.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests