Spoilers for Monday, February 26, 2018

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Spoilers for Monday, February 26, 2018

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

1st numbers alt : ((10 + 4) x (10 + (100/25)) ) + 75
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers for Monday, February 26, 2018

Post by Tony Atkins »

or (10x25)-75+100-4 or (10x10)+100+75-4 by the standard method.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

AMORTISER-> MORTARISE

Edit: ABETTER or ABUTTER in R7
Last edited by Ray Wilding on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

ABUTTER r7 beater
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Did you edit your original post without it saying so somehow, Ray? Trying to work out how you posted about abutter before the round had been on...
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:32 pm Did you edit your original post without it saying so somehow, Ray? Trying to work out how you posted about abutter before the round had been on...
Yeah, I tend to edit my posts rather than double post. I'll add that it was edited.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

I went BURETTE in the ABETTER/ABUTTER round.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Was a very good game, with 2 great players today. Beat Philip on a crucial today, but will probably be the last tbh... Happy to see the joy on Mick's face when he got the conundrum, but I do get the feeling Philip may have done some "Hansfording" on that conundrum and it backfired for him....
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Tom S wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:59 pm Was a very good game, with 2 great players today. Beat Philip on a crucial today, but will probably be the last tbh... Happy to see the joy on Mick's face when he got the conundrum, but I do get the feeling Philip may have done some "Hansfording" on that conundrum and it backfired for him....
Yeah, felt sorry for him that he'd guessed wrongly and couldn't reach a century today but it's alright, he still won anyway. By the way, to clarify "Hansfording" since someone else mentioned it as well Philip did not do that since the definition is to buzz in before the letters are revealed...Philip clearly buzzed in after the letters were revealed...I would say it's more of a quick scramble gone wrong...

There was ODONATAN in R12 but I'm so glad Alistair Stewart didn't put Philip down not with a "D", but an "N"...
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Ryan Lam wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:02 pm
Tom S wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:59 pm Was a very good game, with 2 great players today. Beat Philip on a crucial today, but will probably be the last tbh... Happy to see the joy on Mick's face when he got the conundrum, but I do get the feeling Philip may have done some "Hansfording" on that conundrum and it backfired for him....
Yeah, felt sorry for him that he'd guessed wrongly and couldn't reach a century today but it's alright, he still won anyway. By the way, to clarify "Hansfording" since someone else mentioned it as well Philip did not do that since the definition is to buzz in before the letters are revealed...Philip clearly buzzed in after the letters were revealed...I would say it's more of a quick scramble gone wrong...

There was ODONATAN in R12 but I'm so glad Alistair Stewart didn't put Philip down not with a "D", but an "N"...
More like an unlucky quick guess then for me, in my view :)
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Rather than explaining Hansfording to people who know what it is, how about wondering what Philip said, who admitted he'd Hansforded and that he felt guilty for it afterwards.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Rather than explaining Hansfording to people who know what it is, how about wondering what Philip said, who admitted he'd Hansforded and that he felt guilty for it afterwards.
Yeah, I was just explaining for those who have never heard of this term before, and in my opinion I don't think he really did and I feel sorry for Philip who felt guilty, he didn't have to and it really wasn't his fault, after all it was recorded late at night so he must have been exhausted by this point.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Ryan Lam wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:58 am

Yeah, I was just explaining for those who have never heard of this term before, and in my opinion I don't think he really did and I feel sorry for Philip who felt guilty, he didn't have to and it really wasn't his fault, after all it was recorded late at night so he must have been exhausted by this point.
If he admitted he did, I think that's stronger evidence than you saying he didn't. Also it definitely was his fault, he knew what he was doing and tbh the past 2 games before this he'd probably done the same but been able to unscramble it.

That aside, was a brilliant game today - the challenger could certainly have won a few had he not ran into Philip.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Ryan Lam wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:58 am

I think your definition is slightly wrong. Buzzing immediately is the key, whether the letters are there or not, but I think mostly that they were there. I think it is off-putting to do this, but a good challenger will take the extra time made available.
All in all a very good game to watch.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

^I agree with all three of you above. And I apologise if I made anyone upset or angry by my comments yesterday...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

With all the Hansfording talk, another controversial moment seems to have slipped by unnoticed. In round 12, the challenger started his picking with "another vowel". But it was the first vowel - of that selection anyway! If you start allowing them to refer back to previous rounds, all sorts of madness will ensue. He was lucky not to be thrown out on the spot.