Spoilers for Thursday 22 February 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 33)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday 22 February 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 33)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

What 5 did Sylvia give in the MOPIEST/POETICISM round? Sounded like MITTS, but there's only one T...
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
samir pilica
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 22 February 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 33)

Post by samir pilica »

Philip on fire... I fear for the challenger.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

GAROTTE in R11
Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:28 pm What 5 did Sylvia give in the MOPIEST/POETICISM round? Sounded like MITTS, but there's only one T...
I believe it was MITES, not 100% on that though.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:28 pm What 5 did Sylvia give in the MOPIEST/POETICISM round? Sounded like MITTS, but there's only one T...
Everyone was asking this earlier on, even I did not catch it properly, but I've seen the replay and I heard MITTS as well...

Wow that lightning fast Conundrum buzz...I think no one was that fast since one of Stephen Read's Conundrums which iirc was MODULATED? Correct me if I'm wrong on this point; Elliott Mack was fast but I don't think he was as fast as Philip today.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Ray Wilding wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:44 pm I believe it was MITES, not 100% on that though.
Have put MITES in the recap for now (as well as GREAT as opposed to GRATE in the TRIAGE round), since those are listed in the subtitles.

Fair play to Philip -- that 123 was the highest score of the series so far, and I believe that 0.5-second buzz was the fastest since John Cowen's run. Looks like the Apto-Magic is well underway!
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Ryan Lam wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:02 pmWow that lightning fast Conundrum buzz...I think no one was that fast since one of Stephen Read's Conundrums which iirc was MODULATED? Correct me if I'm wrong on this point; Elliott Mack was fast but I don't think he was as fast as Philip today.
I know that in his last prelim, John Cowen got MAXIMISED in about that same amount of time.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:09 pm
Ray Wilding wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:44 pm I believe it was MITES, not 100% on that though.
Have put MITES in the recap for now (as well as GREAT as opposed to GRATE in the TRIAGE round), since those are listed in the subtitles.

Fair play to Philip -- that 123 was the highest score of the series so far, and I believe that 0.5-second buzz was the fastest since John Cowen's run. Looks like the Apto-Magic is well underway!
I thought it was emits
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Lam wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:02 pmCorrect me if I'm wrong on this point; Elliott Mack was fast but I don't think he was as fast as Philip today.
You are wrong. Elliott Mack wasn't particularly fast.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Excellent score today by Philip, and very fast con too - not many could have had a chance on that!

Might be a risky thing to put down your pen after a while in the numbers round though...if I saw someone doing that I'd definitely start looking for a simpler method.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Great game by Philip - the potential match-up with Zarte would be interesting.

ZAPPER as the standard method alternative to GAPPER.

A punch in the face as the standard method alternative to allowing Alastair Stewart in Dictionary Corner.

Also who seriously goes for four large when on zero points after five rounds?! I suppose it was brave...
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

84 points by Round 9. This may sound a bit odd, but from that position 123 could well be considered somewhat... disappointing, for want of a better word...
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:48 pm
Ryan Lam wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:02 pmCorrect me if I'm wrong on this point; Elliott Mack was fast but I don't think he was as fast as Philip today.
You are wrong. Elliott Mack wasn't particularly fast.
Yeah, I went back and checked my videos of Elliott Mack, none of it were as fast. Thanks for clarifying though!