Spoilers for Monday 5th February 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 20)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Monday 5th February 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 20)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

RETOSSED and MAINOURS as beaters in the last two letters rounds.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Monday 5th February 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 20)

Post by Tom S »

Had RESTOWED as well. Caught up when I needed to, as through some misses, Phil had a 12 point lead, but I took it in the end. There seemed to be quite a few words which were quite complex maxes. Got 7 maxes which was not too bad. Also nice to see the quality being raised a bit today, thanks to some nice spots.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The champion guy was really taking the piss with his pronunciation of "consonant" today. I'm sure he was even saying "Communist" at one point.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:04 pm The champion guy was really taking the piss with his pronunciation of "consonant" today. I'm sure he was even saying "Communist" at one point.
Let's see who can get the most pisstake pronunciation of consonant onto TV. Bonus points for anyone who can get something like "cunt's pants" past the sensors. (Was the best vulgarity I could think of that would sound sort of like it - feel free to do better)
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

cunts sonnet...sounds like an X rated Shakespeare poem.
Did anyone feel sorry for how the champion was cut off as he Ballard up the second numbers.
He said that he'd written it down.....maybe he's a doctor and couldn't read his own writing
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Marc Meakin wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:28 pm Did anyone feel sorry for how the champion was cut off as he Ballard up the second numbers.
He said that he'd written it down.....maybe a doctor and couldn't read his own writing
Yep, when he holds up his paper if you pause it you can see he's written 7x4+3x(?)8, ok so that's 248 anyway so either he misdeclared or was going to do -1-1, or he wrote that down but it's under his fingers.
Definitely harsh as I remember RR asking someone before if they'd written it down when they were having trouble saying it out loud.
Good thing it didn't affect the result but it can't have gained the programme any new viewers!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Can see why he might have felt cheated, and he was clearly very annoyed by it judging by his actions after. However, in fairness he was taking the mickey a bit and I can see why Nick thought he was playing for time. The correct action would have been to check his paper I think, and see if it corresponds.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

That could have been done before the edit
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:10 pm Can see why he might have felt cheated, and he was clearly very annoyed by it judging by his actions after. However, in fairness he was taking the mickey a bit and I can see why Nick thought he was playing for time. The correct action would have been to check his paper I think, and see if it corresponds.
I agree, it did affect his demeanour for a couple of rounds, and I'm sure if they'd have checked his writing they, and he, would have seen he wasn't totally correct.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:10 pm The correct action would have been to check his paper I think, and see if it corresponds.
Have a bit of faith. We edited out many seconds of indecision prior to the DQ.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Countdown Team wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:38 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:10 pm The correct action would have been to check his paper I think, and see if it corresponds.
Have a bit of faith. We edited out many seconds of indecision prior to the DQ.
Cheers for clearing that up - apologies if I sounded very harsh.