Spoilers for Wednesday 24th January 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 12)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Wednesday 24th January 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 12)

Post by Ray Wilding »

POSAUNE in R5
samir pilica
Acolyte

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 24th January 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 12)

Post by samir pilica »

R8 ORINASAL
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

2nd Numbers Alt.: (25 + 1) * (2 + 3) * 5 + 7... expected someone to do it that way!
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

My play was off today- but thankfully Chris did not take me to a crucial. It was a game with 2 solid players, with Ann not being quite able to keep up in the end with Chris. He does need to up his game though from today, as his letters could have been more consistent in places (though I am being quite hypocritical as he did beat me 4 times in the numbers :D ) Anyone freak out with the letters selection at the beginning of R4?
My scores:
Me:75-69 (Chris)
Me:93-65 (Ann)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Tom S wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:58 pmAnyone freak out with the letters selection at the beginning of R4?
Nope, but now that you've spotted it it's pretty remarkable -- the first six letters were identical to those in the previous letters round! I'm sure Graeme could tell us if that's ever happened before.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Tom S wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:58 pm My play was off today- but thankfully Chris did not take me to a crucial.
It would have been an absolutely disaster if he had I'm sure, that really would have tarnished the reputation of everyone here.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:27 pm
Tom S wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:58 pm My play was off today- but thankfully Chris did not take me to a crucial.
It would have been an absolutely disaster if he had I'm sure, that really would have tarnished the reputation of everyone here.
Haha lol- good sense of personality ;)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Tom S wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:22 pm
Sarcasm is my middle name ;)
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:34 pm 2nd Numbers Alt.: (25 + 1) * (2 + 3) * 5 + 7... expected someone to do it that way!
I did! Well almost, I just added the 1 to the other 25.
Difficult letters again I thought today, but it got easier later on. Riptides jumped out at me too, spirited I saw but wasn't sure if it had 2 ts and stupider just sounds stupid!
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Tom S wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:22 pm
I must say Tom, I admire your perseverance in telling us your scores every single day, but I am struggling to see who it benefits or who would be remotely interested. No offence meant. Kudos for effort though :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kirk used to do it and he became a series champion.

(There can be no other explanation for him winning the series.)

Actually I'm not sure how often he did it, but I remember Stewart Holden arguing for the pointlessness of it when Stewart's own run was being televised.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

I like Tom's reports and think I would miss them if they stopped.
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:23 pm
Tom S wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:58 pmAnyone freak out with the letters selection at the beginning of R4?
Nope, but now that you've spotted it it's pretty remarkable -- the first six letters were identical to those in the previous letters round! I'm sure Graeme could tell us if that's ever happened before.
Yeah, me and my mum noticed it too. We thought it was a recording error. xD
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Toby McDonald wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:24 pm
Johnny Canuck wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:23 pm
Yeah, me and my mum noticed it too. We thought it was a recording error. xD
Or perhaps they just didn't shuffle the letters very well :)
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Philip Wilson wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:19 pm I like Tom's reports and think I would miss them if they stopped.
Oh, don't get me wrong, it's good that he comments nicely on the game in general terms and would encourage more people to do this - I just think that publicly displaying every day that he (more often than not) beats both players while he is sitting on his sofa against them with studio pressure a bit odd, that's all :)

I know no harm at all is meant, but I'm just thinking of people who perhaps lose narrowly as a challenger to a "lesser" champion and are proud of how they did looking on here and seeing someone say they would have obliterated them by 80 points. I just don't see what it achieves.

Maybe it's just me though :) I'll just ignore it from now on :)
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Martin Hurst wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 pm
Philip Wilson wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:19 pm I like Tom's reports and think I would miss them if they stopped.
Oh, don't get me wrong, it's good that he comments nicely on the game in general terms and would encourage more people to do this - I just think that publicly displaying every day that he (more often than not) beats both players while he is sitting on his sofa against them with studio pressure a bit odd, that's all :)

I know no harm at all is meant, but I'm just thinking of people who perhaps lose narrowly as a challenger to a "lesser" champion and are proud of how they did looking on here and seeing someone say they would have obliterated them by 80 points. I just don't see what it achieves.

Highly understandable Martin. I admittedly do not think about that it may be of offence to some, solely the reason why I have uploaded them is as a result of that I'd believe that personal game reports would be of interest to this particular section as this would be the sort of things that people would upload in this area. I don't intend to offend, and shall remove any scores from now on, but will continue to voice my opinion on the shows in that sense. I don't mean to be arrogant about it but understand this can be perceived as that way. Many thanks.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Tom S wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:40 pm

Highly understandable Martin. I admittedly do not think about that it may be of offence to some, solely the reason why I have uploaded them is as a result of that I'd believe that personal game reports would be of interest to this particular section as this would be the sort of things that people would upload in this area. I don't intend to offend, and shall remove any scores from now on, but will continue to voice my opinion on the shows in that sense. I don't mean to be arrogant about it but understand this can be perceived as that way. Many thanks.
Please don't stop quoting your scores. It is of interest in that when you get to go on we'll see if you any better than when sitting at home. I enjoy reading peoples comments on each show and if their scores are added then it just adds to the interest. I'm amazed that you go to the trouble of working it out every day. I don't even use a pencil and paper :)
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I say carry on.
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

Is this forum guarded by angry unemployed people with anti-enthusiasm guns or something jesus christ
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

George Pryn wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:56 pm Is this forum guarded by angry unemployed people with anti-enthusiasm guns or something jesus christ
Who's angry? Seemed a level-headed conversation to me which was amicably discussed and is now resolved!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Tom S wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:40 pm

Please don't berate yourself over this, mate - opinions are always going to be divided on things. It's great that you're keeping scores actively - I myself admit to having a spreadsheet where I record this information. I have to agree with Martin, however, that if someone who had gone on the show and felt proud of themselves happened across this place - which does happen - they might feel quite demoralised to see that someone had posted that they beat them by 53 points.
Just my sentiments, mind, I guess I could just ignore it and stop being a grump :)
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Is there a good place on here to record results for personal use, as it is probably the best place for me to do so?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Tom S wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:47 pm Is there a good place on here to record results for personal use, as it is probably the best place for me to do so?
I use an excel spreadsheet if that's what you're referring to :)
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 pm
Tom S wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:47 pm Is there a good place on here to record results for personal use, as it is probably the best place for me to do so?
Ah cool thx for that! :)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Tom S wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:59 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 pm
Ah cool thx for that! :)
It's actually very fun, you can organise it in all sorts of ways - scores against contestants and dictionary corner/Rachel, words declared, average score, maxes etc. Endless geeky fun :)