Spoilers for Wednesday 18th October 2017 (Series 77, Prelim 76)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Wednesday 18th October 2017 (Series 77, Prelim 76)

Post by Ray Wilding »

BELAYERS in R5
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18th October 2017 (Series 77, Prelim 76)

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Was that one of the most unstructured and rambly DC spots ever? I'm not actually sure what point he was trying to make unless he's trying to get a job from Sugartits.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Possibly done for Nick's benefit. On the other hand, nearly went for PULLIES, so was surprised that it was invalid.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

BACONER in R13
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:49 pm BACONER in R13
There were two 7s in that round, but with no C, that wasn't one of them.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Indeed not, but EXURBAN was there.

2nd Numbers Alt.: (3 * 6 + 2) * 50 - 5 * 5
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Why were both players gazing across the studio when the conundrum was on? That game puts Alex into No.8 seed, and knocks Nikki out of the top 8, but think there may be an Apterite coming up who might knock him out of the top 8. Only just realised that James was a former contestant in 2000, in which he lost his game and botched his chances of advancing with a far-off conundrum, just like today, except a good letters knowledge helped him to win today. Don't really see him as a finalist, but never say never:).
Me:126-61 (James)
Me:126-54(Alex)
Could've had GOUTIER in R11, but wasn't certain, so would have just played FORGET
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Ray Wilding wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:10 pm
Zarte Siempre wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:49 pm BACONER in R13
There were two 7s in that round, but with no C, that wasn't one of them.
...there are some days I really suck at this...
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Tom S wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:38 pm Why were both players gazing across the studio when the conundrum was on?
There's an actual board there where the conundrum is officially revealed - the monitors are only a camera view of this. It's probably much comfier to stare at that than hunch over a monitor, but admittedly it looks puzzling to a viewer who can't see all this.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:32 pm
Tom S wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:38 pm Why were both players gazing across the studio when the conundrum was on?
There's an actual board there where the conundrum is officially revealed - the monitors are only a camera view of this. It's probably much comfier to stare at that than hunch over a monitor, but admittedly it looks puzzling to a viewer who can't see all this.
So have they moved the board, because I've never noticed this before?
Chris Hare
Rookie

Post by Chris Hare »

The panel above the letters board has, as of this episode, been changed from a textured bronze to a flat blue, and looks much the poorer for it. I imagine there's a boring behind-the-scenes reason.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Thanks for clearing that, something that I had not noticed before, makes sense now. I don't know exactly how far away the board is from the contestants table, just looked very far away.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

David Williams wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:33 am
Elliott Mellor wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:32 pm
So have they moved the board, because I've never noticed this before?
It was definitely there when I went to a recording last year.
Tom S wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:46 pm Thanks for clearing that, something that I had not noticed before, makes sense now. I don't know exactly how far away the board is from the contestants table, just looked very far away.
It was pretty far away when I watched, admittedly it may have changed since then.
Alex Smith

Post by Alex Smith »

Tom S wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:38 pm Why were both players gazing across the studio when the conundrum was on? That game puts Alex into No.8 seed, and knocks Nikki out of the top 8, but think there may be an Apterite coming up who might knock him out of the top 8. Only just realised that James was a former contestant in 2000, in which he lost his game and botched his chances of advancing with a far-off conundrum, just like today, except a good letters knowledge helped him to win today. Don't really see him as a finalist, but never say never:).
Could've had GOUTIER in R11, but wasn't certain, so would have just played FORGET
Both desk monitors crashed at the last possible moment. When Nick said "Fingers on buzzers", my monitor went to a black screen and I had to look at the TV screen closest to Rachel and the numbers board but it was discovered that James' screen also went black. Me and James reported this issue to Jay (floor manager) but it looked like he wasn't too bothered about it, he only said "Apologies for that".

I hope this answers the question.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Alex Smith wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:27 pm
Tom S wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:38 pm Why were both players gazing across the studio when the conundrum was on? That game puts Alex into No.8 seed, and knocks Nikki out of the top 8, but think there may be an Apterite coming up who might knock him out of the top 8. Only just realised that James was a former contestant in 2000, in which he lost his game and botched his chances of advancing with a far-off conundrum, just like today, except a good letters knowledge helped him to win today. Don't really see him as a finalist, but never say never:).
Both desk monitors crashed at the last possible moment. When Nick said "Fingers on buzzers", my monitor went to a black screen and I had to look at the TV screen closest to Rachel and the numbers board but it was discovered that James' screen also went black. Me and James reported this issue to Jay (floor manager) but it looked like he wasn't too bothered about it, he only said "Apologies for that".

Ah thanks for the insider Alex 8-) , well done on your wins, you played very well and also came across very well too. I hope you weren't too disheartened by the loss, as one shouldn't be too down for losing against an octochamp.
Alex Smith

Post by Alex Smith »

Tom S wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:43 pm
Alex Smith wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:27 pm

Ah thanks for the insider Alex 8-) , well done on your wins, you played very well and also came across very well too. I hope you weren't too disheartened by the loss, as one shouldn't be too down for losing against an octochamp.
Thanks Tom, you're very kind. :) I was not disheartened with my loss. James was one of the nicest guys I've ever met so it was all good. I was happy that I didn't embarrass myself during my recordings because I was nervous when watching with my classmates at college. I'm happy with my 4 wins, I may reapply in the future and see if I can do better.