Spoilers for Friday 11th August 2017

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Friday 11th August 2017

Post by Ray Wilding »

VIRAEMIC to beat VIREMIA in R8.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Friday 11th August 2017

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Ray Wilding wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:34 pm VIRAEMIC to beat VIREMIA in R8.
Bah, beaten to it.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Bit of a change of mind on the conundrum? No objection from Nick.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

David Williams wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:47 pm Bit of a change of mind on the conundrum? No objection from Nick.
Aye, she did seem to take rather a long time to give the actual answer.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:01 am
David Williams wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:47 pm Bit of a change of mind on the conundrum? No objection from Nick.
Aye, she did seem to take rather a long time to give the actual answer.
To me it looked like she thought she had the answer then while Nick was talking realised that was incorrect. Then she worked out the correct answer. I was pleased it wasn't crucial, but I guess it was fair enough because she Thought she knew the answer before buzzing.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Obviously you buzz in if you think you know the answer. Views as to how much latitude you have to change your mind and give a different answer vary from zero to minuscule.
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

When I watched it, I "buzzed" (in my head) a fraction before her thinking AWAKENING but in the time it took Nick to ask for it I had realised it was WEAKENING.
Wouldn't surprise me if she did the same thing.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Dan Byrom wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:59 pm When I watched it, I "buzzed" (in my head) a fraction before her thinking AWAKENING but in the time it took Nick to ask for it I had realised it was WEAKENING.
Wouldn't surprise me if she did the same thing.
Snap!
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Post by Joyce Phillips »

I did the same thing with weakening etc.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:52 pm Obviously you buzz in if you think you know the answer. Views as to how much latitude you have to change your mind and give a different answer vary from zero to minuscule.
People who don't frequent this forum aren't necessarily aware of our standards of etiquette. And there was the video Innis linked to the other day of someone admitting to it and Richard Whiteley not being bothered.
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

I think if she realised she had one thing and changed after she buzzed thats grand. There was no deceit intended when originally buzzing.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Noel Mc wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:34 pm I think if she realised she had one thing and changed after she buzzed thats grand. There was no deceit intended when originally buzzing.
I dunno. I think if it's unacceptable to buzz in without an answer, then it's unacceptable to change your answer too.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I still don't think it is unacceptable to buzz without an answer. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you follow the show's rules, then who cares? It's ethically questionable, but not unacceptable.

As long as you don't buzz before the conundrum's turned, and you answer immediately when Nick tells you to, job's a good 'un. Don't give a shit about the process.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Noel Mc wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:34 pm I think if she realised she had one thing and changed after she buzzed thats grand. There was no deceit intended when originally buzzing.
This.
Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:13 pm
I dunno. I think if it's unacceptable to buzz in without an answer, then it's unacceptable to change your answer too.
So you wouldn't change your answer in the same situation?
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

The alternatives being to say "oh no, I'm wrong" or give your corrected answer and then tell Nick you thought it was something else before you buzzed? (somewhat like the case with Richard Whiteley).
She had to make her decision quickly and may have regretted it after, specially if it had been crucial.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:47 am So you wouldn't change your answer in the same situation?
Probably not to be honest. Unless I also thought it was OK to buzz in without the answer. There's no real difference between the two, especially considering that you could buzz in straight away with some crappy "answer" in your mind every time, and then change it accordingly if you manage to spot it afterwards.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

She might, of course have buzzed in because she saw WEAKENING, hesitated for a split second because she thought it might be AWAKENING, and gone with her original answer.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:11 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:47 am So you wouldn't change your answer in the same situation?
Probably not to be honest. Unless I also thought it was OK to buzz in without the answer. There's no real difference between the two, especially considering that you could buzz in straight away with some crappy "answer" in your mind every time, and then change it accordingly if you manage to spot it afterwards.
They're not the same though. One is buzzing genuinely believing you have the answer, with no deceit intended, realising you made a mistake and quickly changing. The other is buzzing with the intent to deceive and trying to figure it out in the time you get. I expect you're in the minority in saying you wouldn't change your answer, I definitely would and wouldn't feel any guilt at all.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:38 amThey're not the same though. One is buzzing genuinely believing you have the answer, with no deceit intended, realising you made a mistake and quickly changing. The other is buzzing with the intent to deceive and trying to figure it out in the time you get. I expect you're in the minority in saying you wouldn't change your answer, I definitely would and wouldn't feel any guilt at all.
But if you know you can change your answer then you might buzz in when you're slightly less confident of your answer. So while it's easy to look at the two extremes and say they're completely different, they actually lie on a continuum.

I also think it's quite strange to say that you have to have an answer when you buzz in but that you're allowed to change it. Why bother saying you have to have an answer that's optional to use?