Spoilers for Monday 31st July 2017

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers for Monday 31st July 2017

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I thought this was a very solid game for two new contestants. I know it's a bit early, but I think the winner could become an octochamp.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Monday 31st July 2017

Post by Philip Wilson »

Good to see there's life after last Thursday ;)
Anyone else think Rachel should show the nearest available in the impossible numbers games? It happens sometimes but not usually.
I imagine (((1 + 2) x 3 x 9) + 2) x 7 was her way for 581.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

They were both pretty great.

TRUNDLED in Rd2 was quite a spot...
Very unusual to have two new players that good face off after the departure of an Octochamp.
I played along with it, and by Rd7, the Michelle Pfeiffer chap was beating me by 21pts. The other fella was 3 ahead.
Beat them both in the end... but it wasn't easy. (The 6s in Rd14 was a Godsend.)
Solid performances.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Neil A Collins

Post by Neil A Collins »

Surprised Susie didn't spot OPTICIAN in R5. Missed all 6s in R7 :oops: and CALENDAR, although did get TRUNDLED, RIPOSTES + SUNDIAL. In agreement the contestants were of a higher average calibre than a lot who have appeared this series - how often do both post 80+ before the finals, and both without a 9?
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Philip Wilson wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:22 pm Good to see there's life after last Thursday ;)
Anyone else think Rachel should show the nearest available in the impossible numbers games? It happens sometimes but not usually.
It's quite inconsistent. She does it occasionally but most of the time they seem to just leave it. I'd suspect it's down to time constraints and if they don't have to show a solution they can allow the DC guest to talk for longer
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

James Laverty wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:37 pm
Philip Wilson wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:22 pm Good to see there's life after last Thursday ;)
It's quite inconsistent. She does it occasionally but most of the time they seem to just leave it. I'd suspect it's down to time constraints and if they don't have to show a solution they can allow the DC guest to talk for longer
I guess it's easier and quicker for DC to just say their longest word than for Rachel to explain a numbers solution, but sometimes the nearest, specially in a 6s, is a multiple of 10, which she could just refer to as 54 x 10 or whatever. Or just take the time from the opening chatter.