Spoilers for Thursday 29th June 2017 (Series 76, SF2)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Thursday 29th June 2017 (Series 76, SF2)

Post by Ray Wilding »

Jeff Clayton vs Moose Rosser

DUBNIUM for an alt to MAUDLIN.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 29th June 2017 (Series 76, SF2)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

3rd Numbers Alt.: ((10 - 1) * (5 + 5) + 7) * 8
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I was hoping to beat RELATER with AXLE-TREE, but it's only in (with the hyphen) as an obsolete version of AXLE. :(
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

There were also only 2 Es....
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

KIDULT as a beater in the FLOUT/FLUID/"OMG, Arsène Wenger!" round.
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

Only the 2nd game i have watched on telly this series . fantastic semi final game and very close. unlucky Jeff
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

How many tributes to a 25th anniversary do you need in a single programme, particularly when there's a nail-biting series semi-final going on in the background? Rachel's bit at the end was fine - short, sincere and sufficient. Alternatively, if Susie really does follow Arsenal home and away, the Arsene Wenger card would have been fine. (Strange that we never heard anything about this for her first 24 years in DC.) But to have both, as well as Colin Murray's dreadful 'poem' that he appeared to be seeing for the first time as he read it out . . .
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

David Williams wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:11 pm How many tributes to a 25th anniversary do you need in a single programme, particularly when there's a nail-biting series semi-final going on in the background? Rachel's bit at the end was fine - short, sincere and sufficient. Alternatively, if Susie really does follow Arsenal home and away, the Arsene Wenger card would have been fine. (Strange that we never heard anything about this for her first 24 years in DC.) But to have both, as well as Colin Murray's dreadful 'poem' that he appeared to be seeing for the first time as he read it out . . .
I thought it was quite right that that much of a fuss was made of it, irrespective of what the game being played was. The players themselves were, I believe, pleased to be a part of it.

Her support of Arsenal has been mentioned frequently in that time, I'm unsure where you get the idea it hasn't been.

Colin only became aware of the occasion on the day I believe, but wanted to do something for it. It may have been underrehearsed, but it was clearly meant, as the two of them get on well. Even if I'm mistaken and he did have more warning, I would rather dictionary corner guests who make an effort to get involved and have a genuine affection for the show and its staff than the ones who just turn up and gurn for 5 days.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

I have to say one thing about the gushings of how they'd be "lost without Susie" and how she's "one in a million" and much loved etc etc...
It is alleged that just before the fractious departure of Carol Vorderman, one of the producers is supposed to have delivered the classic line "The show survived Richard's death, it can survive without you" If that is true... then all that obsequiousness, and fawning over Susie reeks to high heaven of insincerity.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Surprised no-one's mentioned the standard method for the third numbers. 776 is 97*8. So (10*(5+5-1)+7)*8 = 776.
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Looks shockingly similar to the method that Johnny posted nearly 3 years ago. This standard method stuff is subtle eh?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:30 pm Looks shockingly similar to the method that Johnny posted nearly 3 years ago. This standard method stuff is subtle eh?
Oh yeah, didn't notice. Always put what it equals though for context. I'll forgive you this time though Johnny.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

When Jeff had WARRANTS, and Moose said he had WARRANTS and NARRATES, Nick asked him to show his paper. Moose should have said "Nah, I'll go with NARRATES so I don't have to."
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Replacement Game 2020 Word Update

Since this show was broadcast instead of the scheduled one, I thought I'd see how a 3 year gap would work....

Interestingly, there's only ONE different word, but it's quite an interesting one....

New Words Now Allowed:

R7: REEXALT (not sure I've ever seen a REE.... word in without a hyphen....)