Spoilers for Thursday 1st June

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Spoilers for Thursday 1st June

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Susie seemed to imply IRONICAL wouldn't have been allowed had it been declared, yet it's perfectly fine on apterous. It seemed she said "Yeah, not on Countdown but it's in the dictionary" when asked if it was okay.
CILANTRO as an equaller in the same round.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 1st June

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Also, do we reckon Dan got all the words he was implying he got?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:06 pm Susie seemed to imply IRONICAL wouldn't have been allowed had it been declared, yet it's perfectly fine on apterous. It seemed she said "Yeah, not on Countdown but it's in the dictionary" when asked if it was okay.
It wasn't clear what her point was.

Also I got ATOMLESS in one of the rounds as a beater.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:10 pm Also, do we reckon Dan got all the words he was implying he got?
Probably. He says often enough that it wasn't him.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:50 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:06 pm Susie seemed to imply IRONICAL wouldn't have been allowed had it been declared, yet it's perfectly fine on apterous. It seemed she said "Yeah, not on Countdown but it's in the dictionary" when asked if it was okay.
It wasn't clear what her point was.

Also I got ATOMLESS in one of the rounds as a beater.
She said something similarly cryptic quite recently I think. But today, Nick said something about it being controversial, so Susie's "Not on Countdown" might have referred to that, rather than that you can't have it on Countdown.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I think she just meant that she wouldn't have included IRONICAL in the dictionary if it were to have been up to her, because she personally believed the -AL ending was redundant. I never interpreted the comment as meaning that she would have disallowed it.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've watched it back and the conversation basically goes like this:

Dan: If you got - IRONIC's in there, can you throw an AL on the end? Can you make IRONICAL?

Susie: Ah, that's always the big debate.

Dan: Is this a regular Countdown debate?

Susie: Not in Countdown, but it's in the dictionary, yes. IRONIC - A lot of people don't like us putting AL on things and extending them for the sake of it, but it's in the dictionary so that's the main thing.

The "Not in Countdown" part that has caused us all this confusion seems to refer purely to the debate - i.e. people debate whether putting AL on the end of words (including IRONIC) is acceptable, but not on Countdown, because on Countdown you just look at the dictionary. And it's in.
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

I got OUTARMED as a beater in R12.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:53 pm I've watched it back and the conversation basically goes like this:

Dan: If you got - IRONIC's in there, can you throw an AL on the end? Can you make IRONICAL?

Susie: Ah, that's always the big debate.

Dan: Is this a regular Countdown debate?

Susie: Not in Countdown, but it's in the dictionary, yes. IRONIC - A lot of people don't like us putting AL on things and extending them for the sake of it, but it's in the dictionary so that's the main thing.

The "Not in Countdown" part that has caused us all this confusion seems to refer purely to the debate - i.e. people debate whether putting AL on the end of words (including IRONIC) is acceptable, but not on Countdown, because on Countdown you just look at the dictionary. And it's in.
That makes sense. Cheers for clearing it up :)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Toby McDonald wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:15 pm I got OUTARMED as a beater in R12.
Nice spot. I was convinced that my 7 wouldn't be the best there.