Spoilers for Monday 16 January 2017 (Series 76, Prelim 5)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Monday 16 January 2017 (Series 76, Prelim 5)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Did Heerpal say LOUDEST in Round 2? A Non-Countdown Acquaintance™ passed by my desk and I had to talk over his word.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Monday 16 January 2017 (Series 76, Prelim 5)

Post by Philip Wilson »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:25 pm Did Heerpal say LOUDEST in Round 2? A Non-Countdown Acquaintance™ passed by my desk and I had to talk over his word.
He did. Really enjoyable match today too, shame someone had to lose.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

PAROLEIN r8 I think

Suzy's a really good spotter of words, certainly one of the most talented non-apterites there has been.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

BILIOUS to beat BROILS
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

In round 12, FOVEAS is there to match FOSSAE. Not ordinarily worth a mention, but it's not on Apterous. Apterous has FOVEAE as the plural of FOVEA, but the dictionary makes no mention of the plural, so therefore it's FOVEAS. I will file a ticket.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Hmm. It's been foveae long before the new update so maybe the definition changed?
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Thomas Carey wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:15 pm Hmm. It's been foveae long before the new update so maybe the definition changed?
They're always messing about with the dictionary. I mean, it probably "should" be FOVEAE, but this sort of opinion counts for nothing when applying rules that are supposed to be consistent.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

If both FOVEAE and FOVEAS have been the plural at various times, I'd plump to have both included on Apterous. Removal of a word is a controversial decision -- I can honestly think of very few reasons why a word should abruptly and arbitrarily cease to be a word. That said, I'll add FOVEAS to the wiki recap because I think it's good.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

There are no plurals given in the ODO at the moment, except in the premium version. The plural is FOVEAE and FOVEAE only.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rubbish dictionary.

Edit - The stupid thing is that there's no indication (as far as I can see) that there even is a premium edition if you're just using the dictionary normally, nor that that's the reason we're not getting plurals. So it's hardly a good way of getting people to pay up. It's absolutely idiotic.

Countdown should change its dictionary. Despite all the advertising they get from Countdown, they've never done anything in return - like make it clear what is a word and what isn't. I'm sure other dictionaries would do a better job.