Who Will Win Series 75? -- Caution: Possible Spoilers

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Whom do you predict the champion of Series 75 will be?

Martin Hurst (#1 Seed, 8 Wins, 830 Points)
45%
Jamie Washington (#2 Seed, 8 Wins, 825 Points)
10%
Andrew Macleod (#3 Seed, 8 Wins, 809 Points)
10%
John Shaw (#4 Seed, 8 Wins, 774 Points)
No votes
Andrew Fenton (#5 Seed, 8 Wins, 725 Points)
5%
Rik Anstee (#6 Seed, 6 Wins, 561 Points)
No votes
Stephen Fuller (#7 Seed, 6 Wins, 507 Points)
20%
Tom Stephens (#8 Seed, 5 Wins, 474 Points)
10%

Total votes: 20

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Who Will Win Series 75? -- Caution: Possible Spoilers

Post by Johnny Canuck »

The perennial question returns for its 75th appearance. Can't be bothered to make specific predictions of my own regarding the scores of every game this time, and they tend to be incorrect anyway, so please just vote away.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Tim Down
Acolyte

Re: Who Will Win Series 75? -- Caution: Possible Spoilers

Post by Tim Down »

I'm going to go for some predictions.

Quarters:

Martin Hurst (1) vs Tom Stephens (8) - Martin to win by 30
Andrew Fenton (5) vs John Shaw (4) - Difficult, but I'll go for John to win on a crucial
Andrew Macleod (3) vs Rik Anstee (6) - Andrew to win by 40
Stephen Fuller (7) vs Jamie Washington (2) - Stephen to win by 10-20

Semis:

Martin Hurst (1) vs John Shaw (4) - Martin to win by 20
Andrew Macleod (3) vs Stephen Fuller (7) - Andrew to win on a crucial

Final:

Martin Hurst (1) vs Andrew Macleod (3) - Martin to win by 10-20
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm not sure it's even explicitly come up on the forum at any point, but Annie Humphries would have been the number 4 seed but couldn't make the recordings.
Zubair Patel
Rookie

Post by Zubair Patel »

Hopefully she can make the finals of the next series
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Zubair Patel wrote:Hopefully she can make the finals of the next series
There actually is a precedent for this type of accommodation. After Vicky Smith was unavailable for the Series 39 finals, she was invited back for the Series 40 finals instead.

Verity Joubert, the champion of Series 30, also made it into the big tournament in Series 33 and was allowed to enter the Supreme Championship because she couldn't make Championship of Champions VIII, which the remainder of the Series 30 contingent was in.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Zubair Patel
Rookie

Post by Zubair Patel »

I was just going off the Countdown twitter feed.

".....just a clash of dates / availability. She'll be eligible for the finals of the next series."
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

What happens to the 8th seed of the next series?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Tim Down wrote:What happens to the 8th seed of the next series?
Presumably there'll only be seven slots, unless the top 8 are all octochamps and beat her total.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Presumably there'll only be seven slots, unless the top 8 are all octochamps and beat her total.
Yeah, that's what I predict too. If Richard Hayward hangs on for 4 more games and becomes an octochamp with a lower total than Annie, he'll just be introduced as the #2 seed, and so on.

Also, "A-LOL" at the person who voted for Tom Stephens after he was already knocked out.
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Very harsh on the person that finishes 8th then, especially if it is a series with more episodes due to less horses.

Perhaps it could be an opportunity to do an experiment with a new/slightly extended finals format - for example, a 12-person finals (which could still be filmed over 2 days)
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

It's a real shame Annie couldn't make it but my view is that if you can't make the recording of your series final then it should just be tough bananas because it's not fair on contestants on the next series to accommodate you. It'd be better to invite her back for some kind of special. Maybe against someone who narrowly lost an exciting quarter-final in series 74, for example.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

What do you get if you win a special, anyway? Just bragging rights?
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Tim Down wrote:It's a real shame Annie couldn't make it but my view is that if you can't make the recording of your series final then it should just be tough bananas because it's not fair on contestants on the next series to accommodate you. It'd be better to invite her back for some kind of special. Maybe against someone who narrowly lost an exciting quarter-final in series 74, for example.
Yeah - would be good to see Dave Costello on the show again ;)
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

Johnny Canuck wrote:What do you get if you win a special, anyway? Just bragging rights?
Guess so. I don't think I've seen any. I wasn't entirely serious about the special anyway, although I was about the rest.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Tim Down wrote:It's a real shame Annie couldn't make it but my view is that if you can't make the recording of your series final then it should just be tough bananas because it's not fair on contestants on the next series to accommodate you. It'd be better to invite her back for some kind of special. Maybe against someone who narrowly lost an exciting quarter-final in series 74, for example.
I kind of agree, but the number of wins/points required to get to the quarter finals is very variable anyway. So while it's arguably unfair on the number 8 seed, the chances are that there would be other series that they wouldn't have made the quarter final of anyway based on their wins/points. There's only been one series with eight octochamps, and in every other series, the number 8 seed could have found themselves up against that and not made it anyway.

But anyway, my point is that unless you're an octochamp, getting to the quarter finals is to some extent down to chance anyway. (And even if you are a low-scoring octochamp, because you could feasibly have 9, especially if they're getting rid of horse racing.)
Peter Thomas
Rookie

Post by Peter Thomas »

Well after today's performance, I'd have to back Andrew MacLeod to win. The field isn't that strong. They probably play better than I would (I don't want to be on TV), but they don't compare to Tournoff/Gallen and their ilk.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I thought that Martin Hurst was very solid in his first game and harder to score against than Andrew McLeod.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

There was a series where a contestant who could make finals was fast-tracked into the next series, but had to play off against the no 8 seed. I'm sure JC (or someone else) will be quick to tell us which one it was.
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

James Laverty wrote:
There was a series where a contestant who couldn't make the finals was fast-tracked into the next series, but had to play off against the no 8 seed. I'm sure JC (or someone else) will be quick to tell us which one it was.
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

James Laverty wrote:
James Laverty wrote:
There was a series where a contestant who couldn't make the finals was fast-tracked into the next series, but had to play off against the no 8 seed. I'm sure JC (or someone else) will be quick to tell us which one it was.
Fiona Davies, who was good enough to be the #5 seed in Series 24, was pitted against the standard #8 seed from the same series, Maureen Grabham, to earn the title of #8 seed. This effectively made the playoff #5 vs #9.

The match ended pretty predictably.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Inclined to agree when it's due to personal choice. If you were say... in surgery, at the time though. Then I don't think I'd be as in agreement.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:55 am What do you get if you win a special, anyway? Just bragging rights?
Back in Richard whiteley's time, they gave vouchers. Dunno if they still do. Course it's been ages since the last special with Graham Nash and John Brackstone
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:12 am
Johnny Canuck wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:55 am What do you get if you win a special, anyway? Just bragging rights?
Back in Richard whiteley's time, they gave vouchers. Dunno if they still do. Course it's been ages since the last special with Graham Nash and John Brackstone
In the earlier specials, it was actually said on the show to be £50, but when I did mine it was changed to "an envelope stuffed full of vouchers", but it was still £50 that they actually gave... :P :P
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

James Robinson wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:49 pm
In the earlier specials, it was actually said on the show to be £50, but when I did mine it was changed to "an envelope stuffed full of vouchers", but it was still £50 that they actually gave... :P :P
Really???????
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Owen Carroll wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:15 pm
Really???????
Yes, although I still never got my original teapot which Richard Whiteley promised me, because I believe there was a problem with making them at the Wensleydale factory at the time the recording was done.

So, I should be one of probably a very limited group of people to have the original yellow teapot and the current blue teapot.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

James Robinson wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:59 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:15 pm
Really???????
Yes, although I still never got my original teapot which Richard Whiteley promised me, because I believe there was a problem with making them at the Wensleydale factory at the time the recording was done.

So, I should be one of probably a very limited group of people to have the original yellow teapot and the current blue teapot.
The teapot used to be yellow? Cool