Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Post Reply
User avatar
Tony Atkins
Fanatic
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Tony Atkins » Wed May 18, 2016 2:24 pm

Hurray it's Robin McKay day! And the "strange" Wigan United has only been mentioned once so far...

User avatar
Tony Atkins
Fanatic
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Tony Atkins » Wed May 18, 2016 2:25 pm

OBELISK as an alt in R1 but there is a beater.

My alt 1st numbers was (9x8+5+1)x10+75, just to be awkward.

User avatar
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:44 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Johnny Canuck » Wed May 18, 2016 2:56 pm

Sorry guys, gotta designate today's recap as a partial. The Shockwave Flash plugin was crashing during EVERY SINGLE round. I got everything except the order of the letters in the selection in the UNFAIR round and McKay's method for 626. Really hope someone might be able to fill in the missing data.

Congrats Robin -- cracking debut score, and second highest of the series so far. You beat me by a big margin, and would have blown me out of the water even if I hadn't spent 75% of the show repeatedly refreshing my video feed.
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on Wed May 18, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are three erors in this semtence.

User avatar
Tony Atkins
Fanatic
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Tony Atkins » Wed May 18, 2016 2:57 pm

Well didn't he do well! A studio max - the SPOONS round had beaters too, I believe.

As 25 squared is my favourite method: alt 4th numbers ((7x5)-10)x25+1.

User avatar
Tony Atkins
Fanatic
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Tony Atkins » Wed May 18, 2016 2:58 pm

Robin did ((25x4)-10)x7-5+1

User avatar
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:44 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Johnny Canuck » Wed May 18, 2016 2:59 pm

Thanks Tony! Alternate for that round: ((7 - 4) * 10 - 5) * 25 + 1.
There are three erors in this semtence.

Jojo Apollo
Devotee
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Jojo Apollo » Wed May 18, 2016 3:20 pm

Superb ton debut, Robin. Very well played, sir. :)

Philip Wilson
Enthusiast
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Philip Wilson » Wed May 18, 2016 3:23 pm

Tony Atkins wrote: SPOONS round had beaters too, I believe.

As 25 squared is my favourite method: alt 4th numbers ((7x5)-10)x25+1.
Yep, and I got one of those beaters, unbelievably! Wonder who will post it first? Oh and that's a clue :-)
Thanks Tony - I spent 28 seconds looking for the second 25 and gave up!
My 192 was (7x9+1)x3, and then I saw another way during Robin's method, something along the lines of 18x10+12.
Last edited by Philip Wilson on Wed May 18, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob McKay
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Rob McKay » Wed May 18, 2016 3:24 pm

I did have a little giggle to myself when you said "should be entertaining" in our chat yesterday Johnny.

Thank you all for the incredibly kind comments.

User avatar
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:44 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Johnny Canuck » Wed May 18, 2016 3:26 pm

Rob McKay wrote:I did have a little giggle to myself when you said "should be entertaining" in our chat yesterday Johnny.
Haha, entertaining it was indeed! Only realised after the show that you equalled the highest début score ever. Permanent congratulations.
There are three erors in this semtence.

Rob McKay
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Rob McKay » Wed May 18, 2016 3:26 pm

I'm glad they kept the "Wigan are better than Man Utd" part in, haha.

Rob McKay
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Rob McKay » Wed May 18, 2016 3:27 pm

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Rob McKay wrote:I did have a little giggle to myself when you said "should be entertaining" in our chat yesterday Johnny.
Haha, entertaining it was indeed! Only realised after the show that you equalled the highest début score ever. Permanent congratulations.
I actually thought it took me longer to get telephone, lol, but Tony was a really nice guy and everyone on the crew was fabulous.

Rob McKay
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Rob McKay » Wed May 18, 2016 3:28 pm

Tony Atkins wrote:Hurray it's Robin McKay day! And the "strange" Wigan United has only been mentioned once so far...
Strange, haha.

User avatar
Tony Atkins
Fanatic
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Tony Atkins » Wed May 18, 2016 4:03 pm

The letters in the UNFAIR round were RXFWUAIAN

User avatar
Tony Atkins
Fanatic
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Tony Atkins » Wed May 18, 2016 4:05 pm

"And the corner's nine?"

Well there are two anagrams of INCREASED they could have got!

User avatar
Tracey Anne Mills
Acolyte
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, In My House somewhere in sunny Stockport with my two cats Torti and Ginge

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Tracey Anne Mills » Wed May 18, 2016 6:37 pm

Great debut welcome to the teapot club
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills

Peter Mabey
Devotee
Posts: 959
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: Harlow

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Peter Mabey » Wed May 18, 2016 7:13 pm

All small alt for first numbers: (10+9)x(8+1)x5 :lol:
3rd simply: (9-1)x2x3x4

Rob McKay
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Rob McKay » Wed May 18, 2016 7:30 pm

Tracey Anne Mills wrote:Great debut welcome to the teapot club
Thanks Tracey and can I just say thanks to you and Mark for helping me find my feet in Manchester and also it was a delight to meet you both again.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7858
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed May 18, 2016 8:08 pm

Philip Wilson wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote: SPOONS round had beaters too, I believe.

As 25 squared is my favourite method: alt 4th numbers ((7x5)-10)x25+1.
Yep, and I got one of those beaters, unbelievably! Wonder who will post it first? Oh and that's a clue :-)
We don't need two Tonys! SOONEST is the word you got. Guys, this is a spoilers thread. It's exactly what it's for! What you do is - post the words and numbers solutions you get.

User avatar
Tracey Anne Mills
Acolyte
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, In My House somewhere in sunny Stockport with my two cats Torti and Ginge

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Tracey Anne Mills » Wed May 18, 2016 10:00 pm

Rob McKay wrote:
Tracey Anne Mills wrote:Great debut welcome to the teapot club
Thanks Tracey and can I just say thanks to you and Mark for helping me find my feet in Manchester and also it was a delight to meet you both again.
It was great fun seeing you, hopefully at a Co:Event :D :D :D :D :D :D
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills

Tim Down
Rookie
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:45 am

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Tim Down » Wed May 18, 2016 10:56 pm

STEPSON in round 5 and OPERATIST in round 8. I was pretty pleased with those until I missed INCREASED.

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 909
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Thomas Carey » Wed May 18, 2016 11:22 pm

Top job Rob. Hope to see you at a co-event again soon!
signature

User avatar
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:44 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Johnny Canuck » Thu May 19, 2016 1:17 am

Another administrative error potentially gains a huge impact as a result of this game. Tony goes onto the seed table two points ahead of David Edgar from earlier this series. However, during one of his prelims, David had the word OUTRANG wrongly disallowed, and if it were to have been allowed he would be ahead of Tony. Wouldn't normally be a huge deal but in this particular instance they may very well end up being the #8 and #9 seeds.
There are three erors in this semtence.

Rob McKay
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Rob McKay » Thu May 19, 2016 10:19 am

Tracey Anne Mills wrote:
Rob McKay wrote:
Tracey Anne Mills wrote:Great debut welcome to the teapot club
Thanks Tracey and can I just say thanks to you and Mark for helping me find my feet in Manchester and also it was a delight to meet you both again.
It was great fun seeing you, hopefully at a Co:Event :D :D :D :D :D :D
You too Trace, I am going to try and pencil in Co:Hud :)

Rob McKay
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Rob McKay » Thu May 19, 2016 10:20 am

Thomas Carey wrote:Top job Rob. Hope to see you at a co-event again soon!
Thanks Thomas/Tom - which do you prefer to be called, btw? Always meant to ask. Yup I am going to defo try and get up for Co:Hud this year. Been too long since my last Co:Event. :)

Rob McKay
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Rob McKay » Thu May 19, 2016 10:21 am

Tim Down wrote:STEPSON in round 5 and OPERATIST in round 8. I was pretty pleased with those until I missed INCREASED.
I felt a bit cheated with OPERATIST as it was a new word. Nah I'm only joking. :D :D :D :D

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 909
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Thomas Carey » Thu May 19, 2016 10:40 am

Rob McKay wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:Top job Rob. Hope to see you at a co-event again soon!
Thanks Thomas/Tom - which do you prefer to be called, btw? Always meant to ask. Yup I am going to defo try and get up for Co:Hud this year. Been too long since my last Co:Event. :)
I really don't mind tbh, it's annoying not knowing which one to use. Most people use Tom though. Do you have a preference of Robin/Rob? I think your forum account is the first time I've seen you use Rob
signature

Rob McKay
Rookie
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Rob McKay » Thu May 19, 2016 11:21 am

I don't mind either Tom. One thing that does get under my skin is when people call me Robert, lol. Its Robin haha. :)

Philip Wilson
Enthusiast
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Philip Wilson » Thu May 19, 2016 3:00 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Philip Wilson wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote: SPOONS round had beaters too, I believe.

As 25 squared is my favourite method: alt 4th numbers ((7x5)-10)x25+1.
Yep, and I got one of those beaters, unbelievably! Wonder who will post it first? Oh and that's a clue :-)
We don't need two Tonys! SOONEST is the word you got. Guys, this is a spoilers thread. It's exactly what it's for! What you do is - post the words and numbers solutions you get.
Noted :-)

Jonathan Wynn
Rookie
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:00 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Jonathan Wynn » Thu May 19, 2016 10:29 pm

Great debut, Robert :D

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7858
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 18 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 69)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu May 19, 2016 10:48 pm

Thomas Carey wrote: I really don't mind tbh, it's annoying not knowing which one to use. Most people use Tom though. Do you have a preference of Robin/Rob? I think your forum account is the first time I've seen you use Rob
I think there's a moral here. Don't have a name that has a standard abbreviation. Also definitely never have a name with more than three syllables because it's automatically going to be too long for people not to abbreviate.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests