Spoilers for Tuesday 3 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 65)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Spoilers for Tuesday 3 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 65)

Post by Tony Atkins »

Will Mr Costello be an octochamp? Can't wait to find out...
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday 3 May 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 65)

Post by Tony Atkins »

Thomas needs to relearn RELEARN+T...
CO-MSO every August
Sean Fletcher
Acolyte

Post by Sean Fletcher »

Last numbers ((100/(75-25)+50)*10+6
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Sean Fletcher wrote:Last numbers ((100/(75-25)+50)*10+6
Well done - the streaming jumped during that round so I only had about 5 seconds to get it in, thus I was surprised when Rachel missed it.

A few word beaters around too.
CO-MSO every August
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Congratulations to Dave, who is our new #5 seed, or #4 if the correct decision were made on PETTIES yesterday.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
JJ Smith
Rookie

Post by JJ Smith »

He was seeded above Tim in the finals.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

JJ Smith wrote:He was seeded above Tim in the finals.
In that case, they must have caught the mistake with PETTIES, which I believe was his only administrative error. I'm going to update his total on the main Series 74 wiki page accordingly. (The only other way he could have got above Tim is if they've now started including points from tie-break conundrums in the totals, and I'm assuming a mostly pointless rule change would be less likely than a fair correction of an error.)

Thanks for the info!
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
In that case, they must have caught the mistake with PETTIES, which I believe was his only administrative error. I'm going to update his total on the main Series 74 wiki page accordingly. (The only other way he could have got above Tim is if they've now started including points from tie-break conundrums in the totals, and I'm assuming a mostly pointless rule change would be less likely than a fair correction of an error.)

Thanks for the info!
Actually, it was because the total he was given was 723 points, which means his tiebreak conundrum was added. It only occurred to me to double check after yesterday's show, as I was in the audience, so already knew his score from today.....

Whether or not it makes a difference to who he would've played in the finals, only time will tell....
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

James Robinson wrote:his tiebreak conundrum was added
Do you know whether this was by accident, or as the start of a new rule? And so PETTIES stayed disallowed?
JJ Smith
Rookie

Post by JJ Smith »

I don't think tie-breaks should be included in cumulative scores or as part of the total game scores, and I doubt many people would. I don't even really like the ten points being added to the score to demonstrate who won, I think there should be some notation, like how a football scoreline won on penalties will be written as 2-2p.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Points from tiebreaks shouldn't count towards your octotototototal, and I believe that's been the rule for ages. Not only would it give the player an extra round that other players didn't have, but counting tiebreaks can lead to a perverse incentive I've talked about before.

However, in this case it seems it all worked out correctly in the end, even if it was by two opposing mistakes cancelling each other out.

(Incidentally, I have never seen a football scoreline won on penalties written like "2-2p".)
Tim Down
Acolyte

Post by Tim Down »

James Robinson wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:

Thanks for the info!
Actually, it was because the total he was given was 723 points, which means his tiebreak conundrum was added. It only occurred to me to double check after yesterday's show, as I was in the audience, so already knew his score from today.....

Whether or not it makes a difference to who he would've played in the finals, only time will tell....
I'm guessing it was a mistake rather than a rule change that his total included the tie-break conundrum. I also think points totals shouldn't be changed retrospectively. Once the show's recorded, I think that should be it, because it's the score at the end of the show that determines the winner and loser. In football, a disallowed goal that is later shown to have been disallowed incorrectly isn't retrospectively added to scoreline or the team's goals total in the league table.

I do think I should have been seeded above Dave. Had I realised at the finals that they'd included his tie-break conundrum I might have said something rather than just muttering to myself about the possible injustice of having had OXTAILS disallowed. Of course, what I should really have done is write the letters down correctly every round and/or played a bit better during my run and avoided this whole thing.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Tony Atkins wrote:
Sean Fletcher wrote:Last numbers ((100/(75-25)+50)*10+6
Well done - the streaming jumped during that round so I only had about 5 seconds to get it in, thus I was surprised when Rachel missed it.
Me too. Wonder if she did it but it was editted out?
With the 536 I recalled CVs advice in those situations to (in this case) save the 11 and make the 7 with what's left.
Thus: 75 x ((8+6)/2) + 10 + 1 = 536
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

James Robinson wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:

Thanks for the info!

So how was it confirmed that his extra points were definitely from his tiebreak conundrum, and that his administrative error definitely was not ever fixed? Was he introduced by Nick as having 723 points in his QF (or, if he makes it, 723 + QFScore [+ SFScore] at a higher stage)? Or is there a chart listing the finalists' totals in the green room?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Actually, it was because the total he was given was 723 points, which means his tiebreak conundrum was added. It only occurred to me to double check after yesterday's show, as I was in the audience, so already knew his score from today.....

So how was it confirmed that his extra points were definitely from his tiebreak conundrum, and that his administrative error definitely was not ever fixed? Was he introduced by Nick as having 723 points in his QF (or, if he makes it, 723 + QFScore [+ SFScore] at a higher stage)? Or is there a chart listing the finalists' totals in the green room?
Yes, Nick introduced him as having 723 points.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

James Robinson wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Actually, it was because the total he was given was 723 points, which means his tiebreak conundrum was added. It only occurred to me to double check after yesterday's show, as I was in the audience, so already knew his score from today.....

Yes, Nick introduced him as having 723 points.
Cheers, thought so.