Spoilers for Wednesday 10 February 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 13)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday 10 February 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 13)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

David Edgar is now entering the latter half of what some might see as an unlikely octochamp run, as if he completes it with his current average, he will be the lowest-scoring octo in the new format. Can he progress further toward the goal -- and possibly "The Record" -- today?

Join JR for the forum recap later.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday 10 February 2016 (Series 74 Prelim 13)

Post by Steven M. McCann »

David must be getting close to the record now for non-attempts at numbers solves.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Did David declare nothing in Round 9? I was too busy mooching the R1 and R2 selections off other people to note down what he declared.
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Post by Steven M. McCann »

TRAMPLES as a beater in the last round before Susie's bit.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

What's the record for most rounds in a row with no score? 3 in a row must be a contender.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

ENMASKED is listed as valid on Apterous. Sigh.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't think it was just the numbers that did for David in that game. Not scoring in any of the last four letters games probably also had something to do with it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote:ENMASKED is listed as valid on Apterous. Sigh.
It is valid indeed. ENMASK an alternative spelling of INMASK, but the search bar doesn't find ENMASKED. Susie should always check the non-inflected word.

Edit - IMMASK
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Steven M. McCann wrote:TRAMPLES as a beater in the last round before Susie's bit.
Also in that round was an astronomical beater almost the same as polaster - I think.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

After last Friday's repeated teaser, it's tea-ja vu all over again.
Dave Ricesky

Post by Dave Ricesky »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
It is valid indeed. ENMASK an alternative spelling of INMASK, but the search bar doesn't find ENMASKED. Susie should always check the non-inflected word.
I don't understand this at all - if you've spent even a little bit of time on the ODO since its massive update, then you'd know that inflections of most alternative spellings don't come up, and you have to search the non-inflected word to find them. Surely an expert lexicographer, part of whose job is to determine whether or not words are in the ODO, would have cottoned on to this at some point in the months since the update happened?

<sarcasm>Clearly, this is yet more evidence that Susie uses a different dictionary</sarcasm>
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Steven M. McCann wrote:TRAMPLES as a beater in the last round before Susie's bit.
I had Temporal in that round
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

But there were quite few eights in that selection
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Jim Treloar
Rookie

Post by Jim Treloar »

Rachel got temporal but it seems to have been edited out.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Tony Atkins wrote:What's the record for most rounds in a row with no score? 3 in a row must be a contender.
According to the database, three rounds in a row with no score has happened five times before, but all of them were a letters round, a numbers round, and a conundrum.

http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_1056
http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_3042
http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_4917
http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_5012
http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_5501

Today was the first time three consecutive letters rounds were scoreless.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

However, since ENMASKED ought to have been allowed, Jack Creswell will probably have those extra eight points added if he makes it to the finals, so perhaps they're not truly scoreless.
Paul Erdunast
Series 74 Champion

Post by Paul Erdunast »

Dave Ricesky wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
I don't understand this at all - if you've spent even a little bit of time on the ODO since its massive update, then you'd know that inflections of most alternative spellings don't come up, and you have to search the non-inflected word to find them. Surely an expert lexicographer, part of whose job is to determine whether or not words are in the ODO, would have cottoned on to this at some point in the months since the update happened?

<sarcasm>Clearly, this is yet more evidence that Susie uses a different dictionary</sarcasm>
No-one had told her about the lack of functionality on the website at the CoC, so not sure why she would be expected to know? It's only by actually searching for inflected words that you know are in would you find out normally. Before my game I mentioned this lack of functionality on the searching for alternate forms to her - she looked visibly surprised and concerned, and told me she would report back to OED about the lack of functionality. So hopefully it will be ok from now :)

p.s. ENMASK is an alt spelling of IMMASK not inmask^