CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by James Robinson »

So, here we are, the penultimate preliminary of this Champion of Champions series, and it's only right that we have a champion match.

Well, we're certainly guaranteed that today, as this is the only preliminary match involving 2 series champions, as the victors of Series 71 & 67 go head-to-head.

For those of you, who don't know who they are, that's Dan McColm and Paul James.

Statistics Corner:

Firstly, Series 71 Champion Dan "The Kineton Kolossus" McColm - 11 Games, 11 Wins, 1,291 Points. (Average: 117.36)
Highest Score: 137 vs. Harry Jarrett (6th Game)
Lowest Score: 92 vs. Ben Hodgson (2nd Game)
9's Achieved: 5/6
Total Points/Max/%: 1291/1399 (92%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 795/855 (93%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 406/434 (94%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 90/110 (82%)

Secondly, Series 67 Champion Paul "The Brampton Behemoth" James - 11 Games, 11 Wins, 1,098 Points (Average: 99.82)
Highest Score: 110 vs. Phil Hopgood (7th Game)
Lowest Score: 83 vs. Chris Barnett (6th Game)
9's Achieved: 1/6
Total Points/Max/%: 1098/1373 (80%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 771/933 (83%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 257/330 (78%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 70/110 (64%)

Join Jen for the recap later. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Excellent game, well done chaps/champs. :)
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

How is it two series champs were pitted against each other for this quarter?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Good game. Shame Paul's numbers wasn't right at the end. Would have been exciting!

Also, great explanation for the teatime teaser - standish. :?: :?: :?:
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Jojo Apollo wrote:How is it two series champs were pitted against each other for this quarter?
I know right? No idea myself -- might have been that they thought it would add drama if a series champion were to fall in the first round.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:How is it two series champs were pitted against each other for this quarter?
I know right? No idea myself -- might have been that they thought it would add drama if a series champion were to fall in the first round.
I can only assume it was a random draw like they did for the 30th anniversary special series?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jojo Apollo wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:
I can only assume it was a random draw like they did for the 30th anniversary special series?
Yes, it was a random draw.

Round 5...
Me in the audience: PIONEERS is there but Dan will go for ISOPRENE, because, you know, it's Dan.
Dan: PIONEERS.
Me: Well. A complete misjudgement on my part there.

Later in the pub...
Dan: I just realised I could have had ISOPRENE!
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

If it was truly randomised (i.e., numbers from 1-16 shuffled), I'm surprised there weren't MORE first-round champion vs. champion games, more first-round 900+ vs. 900+ games, or more first-round crucial conundrums; in such a circumstance I'd expect to see at least one thing like Giles vs Dan in the first round. Also, ties between two players of the same series are conspicuously absent in the first round, whereas they happened in the 30BC (even leading to a first-round matchup that was a rematch of a previous grand final). However I guess any set of circumstances is as likely as any other.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Graeme Cole wrote: Round 5...
Me in the audience: PIONEERS is there but Dan will go for ISOPRENE, because, you know, it's Dan.
Dan: PIONEERS.
Me: Well. A complete misjudgement on my part there.

Later in the pub...
Dan: I just realised I could have had ISOPRENE!
:D I actually had RIPIENOS written down, not PIONEERS, but decided at the last moment to go for PIONEERS for some reason.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote: I can only assume it was a random draw like they did for the 30th anniversary special series?
Yes, it was a random draw.
Cheers Graeme. :)
Matty Artell
Rookie

Post by Matty Artell »

Really happy to have beaten both contestants in the final numbers game ;) :D :ugeek:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote:If it was truly randomised (i.e., numbers from 1-16 shuffled), I'm surprised there weren't MORE first-round champion vs. champion games, more first-round 900+ vs. 900+ games, or more first-round crucial conundrums; in such a circumstance I'd expect to see at least one thing like Giles vs Dan in the first round. Also, ties between two players of the same series are conspicuously absent in the first round, whereas they happened in the 30BC (even leading to a first-round matchup that was a rematch of a previous grand final). However I guess any set of circumstances is as likely as any other.
I'd agree that the first round has fallen quite well in terms of keeping "big names" apart.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

You could argue that 2 out of the 3 biggest names in the competition met in the prelims (Giles Hutchings v Heather Styles). Only Antoinette Ryan is as big a name as those two.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fred Mumford wrote:You could argue that 2 out of the 3 biggest names in the competition met in the prelims (Giles Hutchings v Heather Styles). Only Antoinette Ryan is as big a name as those two.
They're surprisingly small to be big. Does Jennifer Steadman count?
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I thought the short names were the big ones because there's enough space for them to be printed in a larger size.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Bit surprised that there were no matchups involving people from the same series if it was a truly random draw, but then that's just based on gut feel which is a notoriously shit way of estimating probabilities.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Maybe they did random draws until certain criteria were met?
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Thomas Cappleman. (Yes, I know he's Tom.) I'll work out probabilities and stuff when I get home
cheers maus
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

James Robinson wrote:Join Jen for the recap later. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Oh yeah, Tracey's doing this one and I'm doing Thursday's (at T-Cap's behest). And also because bae <3
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Matty Artell
Rookie

Post by Matty Artell »

Or - here's a crazy thought - this is just what the random draw spat out
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Matty Artell wrote:Or - here's a crazy thought - this is just what the random draw spat out
Conspiracy theorist killjoy. :roll:
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Countdown Team wrote:
Matty Artell wrote:Or - here's a crazy thought - this is just what the random draw spat out
Conspiracy theorist killjoy. :roll:
:D
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Most of these threads haven't been bumped but I'm bumping this one. When Rachel spoke to Dan in Russian at the end, it looked like he responded with some deadly Russian insult, wiping the spit off his mouth or something.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:51 pm Most of these threads haven't been bumped but I'm bumping this one. When Rachel spoke to Dan in Russian at the end, it looked like he responded with some deadly Russian insult, wiping the spit off his mouth or something.
Didn't make the cut, but for some reason during an episode, Rachel asked me if I spoke Russian, and I said 'nyet'. I thought that was worth keeping in.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles