CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Post Reply
User avatar
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9117
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Mirfield, West Yorkshire

CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by James Robinson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:12 am

So, here we are, the penultimate preliminary of this Champion of Champions series, and it's only right that we have a champion match.

Well, we're certainly guaranteed that today, as this is the only preliminary match involving 2 series champions, as the victors of Series 71 & 67 go head-to-head.

For those of you, who don't know who they are, that's Dan McColm and Paul James.

Statistics Corner:

Firstly, Series 71 Champion Dan "The Kineton Kolossus" McColm - 11 Games, 11 Wins, 1,291 Points. (Average: 117.36)
Highest Score: 137 vs. Harry Jarrett (6th Game)
Lowest Score: 92 vs. Ben Hodgson (2nd Game)
9's Achieved: 5/6
Total Points/Max/%: 1291/1399 (92%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 795/855 (93%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 406/434 (94%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 90/110 (82%)

Secondly, Series 67 Champion Paul "The Brampton Behemoth" James - 11 Games, 11 Wins, 1,098 Points (Average: 99.82)
Highest Score: 110 vs. Phil Hopgood (7th Game)
Lowest Score: 83 vs. Chris Barnett (6th Game)
9's Achieved: 1/6
Total Points/Max/%: 1098/1373 (80%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 771/933 (83%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 257/330 (78%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 70/110 (64%)

Join Jen for the recap later. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE!!!
UP THE MIGHTY TERRIERS!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Jojo Apollo
Devotee
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 am

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Jojo Apollo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:42 pm

Excellent game, well done chaps/champs. :)

Jojo Apollo
Devotee
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 am

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Jojo Apollo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:44 pm

How is it two series champs were pitted against each other for this quarter?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7858
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:46 pm

Good game. Shame Paul's numbers wasn't right at the end. Would have been exciting!

Also, great explanation for the teatime teaser - standish. :?: :?: :?:

User avatar
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:44 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada
Contact:

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Johnny Canuck » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:47 pm

Jojo Apollo wrote:How is it two series champs were pitted against each other for this quarter?
I know right? No idea myself -- might have been that they thought it would add drama if a series champion were to fall in the first round.
There are three erors in this semtence.

Jojo Apollo
Devotee
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 am

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Jojo Apollo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:51 pm

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:How is it two series champs were pitted against each other for this quarter?
I know right? No idea myself -- might have been that they thought it would add drama if a series champion were to fall in the first round.
I can only assume it was a random draw like they did for the 30th anniversary special series?

User avatar
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion
Posts: 1474
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Graeme Cole » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:02 pm

Jojo Apollo wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:How is it two series champs were pitted against each other for this quarter?
I know right? No idea myself -- might have been that they thought it would add drama if a series champion were to fall in the first round.
I can only assume it was a random draw like they did for the 30th anniversary special series?
Yes, it was a random draw.

Round 5...
Me in the audience: PIONEERS is there but Dan will go for ISOPRENE, because, you know, it's Dan.
Dan: PIONEERS.
Me: Well. A complete misjudgement on my part there.

Later in the pub...
Dan: I just realised I could have had ISOPRENE!

User avatar
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:44 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada
Contact:

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Johnny Canuck » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:05 pm

If it was truly randomised (i.e., numbers from 1-16 shuffled), I'm surprised there weren't MORE first-round champion vs. champion games, more first-round 900+ vs. 900+ games, or more first-round crucial conundrums; in such a circumstance I'd expect to see at least one thing like Giles vs Dan in the first round. Also, ties between two players of the same series are conspicuously absent in the first round, whereas they happened in the 30BC (even leading to a first-round matchup that was a rematch of a previous grand final). However I guess any set of circumstances is as likely as any other.
There are three erors in this semtence.

Dan McColm
Enthusiast
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:23 am

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Dan McColm » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:22 pm

Graeme Cole wrote: Round 5...
Me in the audience: PIONEERS is there but Dan will go for ISOPRENE, because, you know, it's Dan.
Dan: PIONEERS.
Me: Well. A complete misjudgement on my part there.

Later in the pub...
Dan: I just realised I could have had ISOPRENE!
:D I actually had RIPIENOS written down, not PIONEERS, but decided at the last moment to go for PIONEERS for some reason.

Jojo Apollo
Devotee
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 am

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Jojo Apollo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Graeme Cole wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote: I can only assume it was a random draw like they did for the 30th anniversary special series?
Yes, it was a random draw.
Cheers Graeme. :)

Matty Artell
Rookie
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:38 pm

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Matty Artell » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:54 pm

Really happy to have beaten both contestants in the final numbers game ;) :D :ugeek:

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7858
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:35 am

Johnny Canuck wrote:If it was truly randomised (i.e., numbers from 1-16 shuffled), I'm surprised there weren't MORE first-round champion vs. champion games, more first-round 900+ vs. 900+ games, or more first-round crucial conundrums; in such a circumstance I'd expect to see at least one thing like Giles vs Dan in the first round. Also, ties between two players of the same series are conspicuously absent in the first round, whereas they happened in the 30BC (even leading to a first-round matchup that was a rematch of a previous grand final). However I guess any set of circumstances is as likely as any other.
I'd agree that the first round has fallen quite well in terms of keeping "big names" apart.

Fred Mumford
Enthusiast
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Fred Mumford » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:38 am

You could argue that 2 out of the 3 biggest names in the competition met in the prelims (Giles Hutchings v Heather Styles). Only Antoinette Ryan is as big a name as those two.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7858
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:43 pm

Fred Mumford wrote:You could argue that 2 out of the 3 biggest names in the competition met in the prelims (Giles Hutchings v Heather Styles). Only Antoinette Ryan is as big a name as those two.
They're surprisingly small to be big. Does Jennifer Steadman count?

User avatar
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:44 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada
Contact:

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Johnny Canuck » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:47 pm

I thought the short names were the big ones because there's enough space for them to be printed in a larger size.
There are three erors in this semtence.

Fred Mumford
Enthusiast
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Fred Mumford » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:19 pm

Bit surprised that there were no matchups involving people from the same series if it was a truly random draw, but then that's just based on gut feel which is a notoriously shit way of estimating probabilities.

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7910
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Jon Corby » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:06 pm

Maybe they did random draws until certain criteria were met?

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 909
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Thomas Carey » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:09 pm

Thomas Cappleman. (Yes, I know he's Tom.) I'll work out probabilities and stuff when I get home
signature

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Devotee
Posts: 988
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:42 pm

James Robinson wrote:Join Jen for the recap later. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Oh yeah, Tracey's doing this one and I'm doing Thursday's (at T-Cap's behest). And also because bae <3
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

Matty Artell
Rookie
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:38 pm

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Matty Artell » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:34 pm

Or - here's a crazy thought - this is just what the random draw spat out

Countdown Team
Acolyte
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Countdown Team » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:26 pm

Matty Artell wrote:Or - here's a crazy thought - this is just what the random draw spat out
Conspiracy theorist killjoy. :roll:

Zarte Siempre
Kiloposter
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Dadford, Buckinghamshire

Re: CoC Preliminary 7 Spoilers For Tuesday January 12th 2016

Post by Zarte Siempre » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:55 pm

Countdown Team wrote:
Matty Artell wrote:Or - here's a crazy thought - this is just what the random draw spat out
Conspiracy theorist killjoy. :roll:
:D
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests