Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Post Reply
Jordan F
Kiloposter
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Jordan F » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:58 pm

Andrew Irvine got his second win yesterday, but probably not a second teapot for his collection. Can he at least continue to add to his win collection with number 3?

Join Tracey for the recap later.

Jordan F
Kiloposter
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Jordan F » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:18 pm

I tried BICOLOURS for 9 in R2.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10141
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:38 pm

Jordan F wrote:I tried BICOLOURS for 9 in R2.
I got that, wrote it down for the sake of it but didn't bother to look it up and declared 7.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10141
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:42 pm

So is Dictionary Corner just for Nick's mates now?

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:49 pm

#FashionWatch2k15: Hazel rocking a cute flowery headband in her first game like peak Steadman.

She's pretty good. Rooting for her.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle

User avatar
Tony Atkins
Fanatic
Posts: 2209
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Tony Atkins » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Jennifer Steadman wrote:#FashionWatch2k15: Hazel rocking a cute flowery headband in her first game like peak Steadman.

She's pretty good. Rooting for her.
I thought her being on and doing well would please you. I was equal on score until the last three rounds.

Mind you for Andrew that was an early morning show after the late night finish (21:00) of the previous show
and if he is like me he never got a wink of sleep in between because of the hype.
COREA every Easter, CO-MSO every August

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10141
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:06 pm

Tony Atkins wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:#FashionWatch2k15: Hazel rocking a cute flowery headband in her first game like peak Steadman.

She's pretty good. Rooting for her.
I thought her being on and doing well would please you. I was equal on score until the last three rounds.

Mind you for Andrew that was an early morning show after the late night finish (21:00) of the previous show
and if he is like me he never got a wink of sleep in between because of the hype.
But she did play better than he did in any of his games.

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:28 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:#FashionWatch2k15: Hazel rocking a cute flowery headband in her first game like peak Steadman.

She's pretty good. Rooting for her.
I thought her being on and doing well would please you. I was equal on score until the last three rounds.

Mind you for Andrew that was an early morning show after the late night finish (21:00) of the previous show
and if he is like me he never got a wink of sleep in between because of the hype.
But she did play better than he did in any of his games.
Yeah, this. Although she did drop off towards the end.

Apparently she's the first female winner of an ep in 2 months :(
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle

Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion
Posts: 1344
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm
Location: Dadford, Buckinghamshire

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Zarte Siempre » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:53 pm

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Apparently she's the first female winner of an ep in 2 months :(
Did one win that recently? Women must be less shit than I thought...

*throws line, waits for bite*
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:31 pm

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:Apparently she's the first female winner of an ep in 2 months :(
Did one win that recently? Women must be less shit than I thought...

*throws line, waits for bite*
*BITES OFF YOUR KNOB FOR BEING SEXIST!!!!111*
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle

User avatar
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion
Posts: 1759
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Graeme Cole » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:03 pm

Interesting, MILEAGES and MILAGE(S) don't seem to be valid any more.

Does Michael 1-2-1-2 ever smile?

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:28 pm

Graeme Cole wrote:Interesting, MILEAGES and MILAGE(S) don't seem to be valid any more.
I'm enjoying the fact that MILEAGE is listed as a mass noun, yet all 3 of the example sentences for the first definition use 'mileages'.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2781
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by JimBentley » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:41 pm

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:Interesting, MILEAGES and MILAGE(S) don't seem to be valid any more.
I'm enjoying the fact that MILEAGE is listed as a mass noun, yet all 3 of the example sentences for the first definition use 'mileages'.
It's like 2002 all over again! (ask yer dad, assuming he took an interest in the televised parlour game at that time)
exciting music http://fahnn.co.uk

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10141
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:03 am

Weirdly it finds the entry for MILEAGE if you type MILAGE.

Who does Andrew Irvine remind me of? I was thinking maybe Joe Cornish, but is there a better match?

User avatar
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:44 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Johnny Canuck » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:43 am

How long has it been since the last time a round contained two Ys (assuming this was not actually a typo)?
Q: What is the longest word in the world?
A: "Gigaparsecs", because there is a gigaparsec before the last S.

User avatar
Clive Brooker
Devotee
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:37 pm
Location: San Toy

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Clive Brooker » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:14 pm

Graeme Cole wrote:Interesting, MILEAGES and MILAGE(S) don't seem to be valid any more.
When I watched earlier today I thought Susie was implying this, but having just watched again (to check that I was happy with the comments I was about to make) I have the impression that a bit might've been edited out.

But at my age I've had to learn not to trust my memory as I once believed I could.

Philip Wilson
Devotee
Posts: 579
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Philip Wilson » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:51 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote: Who does Andrew Irvine remind me of? I was thinking maybe Joe Cornish, but is there a better match?
Ben Shepherd?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10141
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Clive Brooker wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:Interesting, MILEAGES and MILAGE(S) don't seem to be valid any more.
When I watched earlier today I thought Susie was implying this, but having just watched again (to check that I was happy with the comments I was about to make) I have the impression that a bit might've been edited out.

But at my age I've had to learn not to trust my memory as I once believed I could.
Susie seemed to deliberately evade the plural thing.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10141
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:05 pm

Philip Wilson wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: Who does Andrew Irvine remind me of? I was thinking maybe Joe Cornish, but is there a better match?
Ben Shepherd?
I'm not getting the Ben Shepherd vibe.

User avatar
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion
Posts: 1759
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Graeme Cole » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:13 pm

Johnny Canuck wrote:How long has it been since the last time a round contained two Ys (assuming this was not actually a typo)?
I'm pretty sure what's on the wiki is a mistake, and it was two Ts, not two Ys.

User avatar
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion
Posts: 1759
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Graeme Cole » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:22 pm

Graeme Cole wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:How long has it been since the last time a round contained two Ys (assuming this was not actually a typo)?
I'm pretty sure what's on the wiki is a mistake, and it was two Ts, not two Ys.
However, to answer the question, two Ys haven't appeared in the same round since episode 3142 in 2001, and it appears that nowadays there is only one Y in the consonant pile anyway.

For a brief time from late 2009 to early 2010 they seem to have experimented with two Ys, although they never appeared in the same round. Apart from that, all games since 2001 have featured at most one Y each.

User avatar
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:44 pm
Location: Atlantic Canada
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Johnny Canuck » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:57 pm

Graeme Cole wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:How long has it been since the last time a round contained two Ys (assuming this was not actually a typo)?
I'm pretty sure what's on the wiki is a mistake, and it was two Ts, not two Ys.
Ah, OK. I suspected that putting multiple copies of such an uncommon letter in the pile would be none too wise.

Thanks for answering my question too.

(I honestly thought the conundrum scramble from that episode you linked me to was ARSECEDED)
Q: What is the longest word in the world?
A: "Gigaparsecs", because there is a gigaparsec before the last S.

User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1234
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Clive Brooker wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:Interesting, MILEAGES and MILAGE(S) don't seem to be valid any more.
When I watched earlier today I thought Susie was implying this, but having just watched again (to check that I was happy with the comments I was about to make) I have the impression that a bit might've been edited out.

But at my age I've had to learn not to trust my memory as I once believed I could.
Susie seemed to deliberately evade the plural thing.
In a recent episode she said that something was "clearly listed" as a mass noun AND didn't take a plural form in the examples - so I think the latter has started to be taken into account? Which would make mileages valid. But who knows.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle

User avatar
Clive Brooker
Devotee
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:37 pm
Location: San Toy

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Clive Brooker » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:13 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Clive Brooker wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:Interesting, MILEAGES and MILAGE(S) don't seem to be valid any more.
When I watched earlier today I thought Susie was implying this, but having just watched again (to check that I was happy with the comments I was about to make) I have the impression that a bit might've been edited out.

But at my age I've had to learn not to trust my memory as I once believed I could.
Susie seemed to deliberately evade the plural thing.
Because the MILAGE spelling seems to have been dropped, there shouldn't have been any need to talk about the plural question at all. I think she was expecting to have to, was shocked not to find MILAGE specified, and unsurprisingly wasn't as coherent as she might have been after that. I can't see any reason to doubt that MILEAGES will still be allowable (when it's in the selection).

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7991
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Jon Corby » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:29 pm

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:not two Ys.
none too wise.
Was that deliberate? I enjoyed it either way.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10141
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Thursday October 29th 2015 (S73 P82)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:10 pm

Tony Atkins wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:#FashionWatch2k15: Hazel rocking a cute flowery headband in her first game like peak Steadman.

She's pretty good. Rooting for her.
I thought her being on and doing well would please you. I was equal on score until the last three rounds.

Mind you for Andrew that was an early morning show after the late night finish (21:00) of the previous show
and if he is like me he never got a wink of sleep in between because of the hype.
I remember the hype around you as well. After you won your first two games, people thought we had a new Conor Travers on our hands!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests