Spoilers for Thursday August 6th 2015 (S73 P29)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday August 6th 2015 (S73 P29)

Post by Jordan F »

Stephen Briggs has has 6 strong wins so far. If he gets a 7th today, he will be the new number 1 seed. Can he do it?

Join Tracey for the recap later.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Re: Spoilers for Thursday August 6th 2015 (S73 P29)

Post by Jack Worsley »

MAPEPIRE in round 5
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

3rd numbers: 75 x 2 + 9 x 9 + 10 + 7 = 248
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Like Jack I beat Rachel on 3rd numbers but didn't see the West Indian snake.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

SENSORIA in round 11
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Different ways of doing 2 numbers rounds:
(8x75)/(7+5-9)-1 = 199
(9+9+7)x10-2 = 248
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

TOWAI in round 1, UNLADE in round 2, OUTRACE in round 8, MOOLI in round 12 and DEPILATE in round 13.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Did anyone think it odd in R5 when Stephen said "risky 7", challenger went with 6, obv declared first, then Stephen says "Oh it wasn't risky, PRIMATE".

Made me wonder if it was a dummy. Like he said "risky" to ward challenger off declaring 7, to stop challenger getting points.

Tactical play? Within sportsmanlike boundaries?
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Adam Dexter wrote:Did anyone think it odd in R5 when Stephen said "risky 7", challenger went with 6, obv declared first, then Stephen says "Oh it wasn't risky, PRIMATE".

Made me wonder if it was a dummy. Like he said "risky" to ward challenger off declaring 7, to stop challenger getting points.

Yeah, it did come across a bit weird. I'm torn between him just having a moment where you see the word differently (as some kind of adjectival sense of PRIME or something), and simply having something like PEATIER in mind when declaring, and spotting it in the interim.

Or sometimes we just say daft stuff. Either way, he doesn't seem the sort to try it on in any kind of underhand tactical way IMO.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Also thought it was a bit weird but the scores weren't that close so no real need to try to gain an advantage.
Also if I was Stephen's challenger on his 7th game I'd be quite confident that even a risky word from him would be ok so it wouldn't affect my declaration.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Adam Dexter wrote:Did anyone think it odd in R5 when Stephen said "risky 7", challenger went with 6, obv declared first, then Stephen says "Oh it wasn't risky, PRIMATE".

Yeah, it did come across a bit weird. I'm torn between him just having a moment where you see the word differently (as some kind of adjectival sense of PRIME or something), and simply having something like PEATIER in mind when declaring, and spotting it in the interim.

Or sometimes we just say daft stuff. Either way, he doesn't seem the sort to try it on in any kind of underhand tactical way IMO.
And what if he did have PEATIER and spotted it in the interim?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

I'm not sure there's really an advantage to declaring your word as "risky" when it isn't. It would only have the potential to affect your opponent's offering if the opponent also has a seven and a six written down, and is uncertain enough about the seven that they won't go for it unless you confidently declare seven. As a "tactical play" it doesn't seem very reliable to me.

I thought of the possibility that he'd actually seen a risky 7, like TAPPIER^ or something like that, then after declaring a "risky 7", spotted the safer PRIMATE so decided to go for that. However, I'm hesitant to actually call shenanigans. Sometimes you can doubt common words because you read them wrong. On apterous I've ignored COUNTY, because my thought process has been "COUNTY? An adjective meaning 'a bit like a count'? Nah, that won't be in."

Also, I've read somewhere on here that a contestant once offered DOING in an onomatopoeic sense, rhyming it with BOING, and Susie spent ages trying to find it in the dictionary before remembering the verb DO. In general we should believe a cock-up before a conspiracy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Graeme Cole wrote:Also, I've read somewhere on here that a contestant once offered DOING in an onomatopoeic sense, rhyming it with BOING, and Susie spent ages trying to find it in the dictionary before remembering the verb DO. In general we should believe a cock-up before a conspiracy.
And there was also Paul Gallen getting SUNDRIES (as in sun-dries).
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:Also, I've read somewhere on here that a contestant once offered DOING in an onomatopoeic sense, rhyming it with BOING, and Susie spent ages trying to find it in the dictionary before remembering the verb DO. In general we should believe a cock-up before a conspiracy.
And there was also Paul Gallen getting SUNDRIES (as in sun-dries).
In this clip, around the 5-minute mark, Robert Teuton pronounces SWINGED incorrectly, as if it were the past tense of SWING instead of SWINGE, and still gets the points.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

I done did the numbers and Rachel done didn't :shock:

Oh now she's done it but had AGES in the ad break to think about it. Same method as me, she must have copied me...
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:And what if he did have PEATIER and spotted it in the interim?
PEATIER is also fine (it was my word) so it doesn't matter too much ;) I would declare "peatier" as dodgy on the show even though I know it's in, just because it's not a word you use everyday, and to declare it forthright makes you sound like you've read the dictionary, and ain't nobody got time for that.

But yeah, if he's changed to PRIMATE because he spotted it out of time then that's not great at all. Can't remember who declared first but this is a case that is unlikely to be caught unless you make everyone show their words at all times.