Spoilers for Tuesday June 2nd 2015 (S72 P93)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Tuesday June 2nd 2015 (S72 P93)

Post by Jordan F »

James Judge, the man with the alliterative name, is a two time champ. Can he get a third win and carry over those 3 wins into next series?

Join James L. for the recap later.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday June 2nd 2015 (S72 P93)

Post by Tony Atkins »

No beaters today - PERMUTED as an alt to DRUPELET in R5.

Looking forward to the finals...
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Tony Atkins wrote:No beaters today - PERMUTED as an alt to DRUPELET in R5.

Looking forward to the finals...
Yeah, completely missed MAXIMISER in round 4 though, while I was in the audience!! Thought it didn't stand me in good stead for watching the finals later...... :P :lol:
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

So what's happened to Jonny Rye?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Fred Mumford wrote:So what's happened to Jonny Rye?
Dunno, but he sounded sad on the radio.
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

Normally when a contestant returns due to a mistake from the production team, they wait until an uber-player is in the champions chair. When this happens the unfortunate returnee will lose to someone with a 2000+apterous rating (or similar).

I'm not sure of the logic behind this but maybe the producers don't want someone who lost because of a mistake to come back and become an octochamp because it would make the production team lose credibility (this is of course pure speculation).

I suspect Jonny may be back when Matt Bayfield, Josh Hurst or Transude Transude is the reigning champion?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Andy McGurn wrote:
Normally when a contestant returns due to a mistake from the production team, they wait until an uber-player is in the champions chair. When this happens the unfortunate returnee will lose to someone with a 2000+apterous rating (or similar).

I'm not sure of the logic behind this but maybe the producers don't want someone who lost because of a mistake to come back and become an octochamp because it would make the production team lose credibility (this is of course pure speculation).

I suspect Jonny may be back when Matt Bayfield, Josh Hurst or Transude Transude is the reigning champion?
That's interesting - what examples were you thinking of?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Andy McGurn wrote:

Jonny appeared on aptochat after his third and last game saying he probably wouldn't take an opportunity to go on again. I think it was still offered to him, though.

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that contestants who return in this way are deliberately put up against high-rated players. You have to ask what the production team would have to gain from doing it, and I don't understand the idea that they would somehow lose credibility if a returning contestant did well.

Occasionally these returners have ended up in what turned out to be someone's octorun, but this is more likely to be because high-rated players tend to win more games and therefore are on for longer, so it's more likely a random contestant will play them. For example, in a series with, say, 100 non-finals games in it, which ends up with six octochamps, the probability that a contestant introduced at a random point in the series will play one is nearly half.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Andy McGurn wrote:

I remember that with Andrew Mossford v Tom Rowell when Susie allowed an incorrect word, Andrew later returned in S64 he was unfortunate to come up against Edward McCullagh in his 6th game.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover