Spoilers for Wednesday October 8th 2014 (S71 P61)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Wednesday October 8th 2014 (S71 P61)

Post by Jordan F »

A new champion is amongst us in Gary Mehaffy, will he get number 2 today? It could be quite a challenge however, as apterite Dan McColm is in the studio today. You may think to yourself "Have I heard that name before?" Yes you have. 3 years ago, back in series 64, Mr. McColm played and lost a close game against another apterite( and future quarter-finalist), Ned Pendleton. Since then, people have been waiting for him to return, and he gets his chance just 3 years later. Very interested in the quite short turnaround, I would be curious to hear the Team's reasoning (maybe due to different hosts?). Regardless, we'll see if Dan can this time do what Ned did and win.

Join James for the recap later.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers for Wednesday October 8th 2014 (S71 P61)

Post by Fred Mumford »

Jordan F wrote:Very interested in the quite short turnaround, I would be curious to hear the Team's reasoning (maybe due to different hosts?)
Given how adamant Damian was just 4 or 5 years back about second chances, I can only assume that it's been forced upon them due to a relative lack of new applicants.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Phew - at least Dan now has a teapot. How far will he go?
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Well done, Dan. Solid ton start there. 8-)
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Congratulations on winning the teapot Dan.

Your relief on getting the win was evident by your celebration during the closing credits :D
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Nice to be in the audience for this match. Dan was looking a bit nervous going onto the set, but luckily, that 13 maxer must've helped him a good deal. 8-) 8-)

Incidentally, I think only Glen Webb was the only person in the audience who got the conundrum (but didn't even bother putting his hand up for that, for obvious reasons.), but at least the Apterous Cheerleading Brigade was in full voice, as you might've heard from the audience cheers. ;) :) :D

ANNOYER in round 8 and MOUTHER in round 10.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Great game Dan. The early flattish rounds made it tense for a while, and the champion played quite solidly, so it made for an entertaining game.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. As James rightly says, I was nervous going onto the set, because Gary is a very solid player who was capable of causing problems. Having annatos^ disallowed was a frustrating moment - I said to myself in the previous round that I would play safe, which is why I went for BANDIED even though I had BANDIDO written on my paper. I had DONATES written down, so why play annatos^? It was a relief to get the win - those of you with good hearing might have heard me say "yessssss" after REASONER was confirmed, as I knew that I would be able to get the win from 25 points up with 3 rounds to go.
Martin Long
Acolyte

Post by Martin Long »

Just watched this, well done Dan! Hope this is the first win of many! :D

I got the conundrum which was very pleasing for me! :D :D :D