Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Post Reply
Jordan F
Kiloposter
Posts: 1063
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Jordan F » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:34 pm

5 wins is what Paul Worsley has so far. Can he get number 6 today?

Join Callum for the recap later.

User avatar
Tony Atkins
Fanatic
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Tony Atkins » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:23 pm

Alt first numbers: (75-8+7)x4-(7x6)

Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:32 pm
Location: Blackpool

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Jack Worsley » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:28 pm

GIRASOLS in round 4.

User avatar
Tony Atkins
Fanatic
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Tony Atkins » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:32 pm

Jack Worsley wrote:GIRASOLS in round 4.
And GIAOURS for another Countdown classic.

User avatar
Tony Atkins
Fanatic
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Tony Atkins » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Too many ways for 214 there - I saw 107x2 and 3x74-8 methods

Peter Mabey
Devotee
Posts: 957
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:15 pm
Location: Harlow

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Peter Mabey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:38 pm

Second numbers is a rare case where target can be got by inserting operators between numbers given without rearrangement:
75+100+5x8-2+1 :D

Paul Worsley
Rookie
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Paul Worsley » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:39 pm

I felt sorry for Natalie here. She says she wrote ODONATES down, but didn't risk it.

User avatar
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:15 pm

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Mark Kudlowski » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:41 pm

3rd numbers alt : (25 +3) x 7

Paul Worsley
Rookie
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Paul Worsley » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:50 pm

R10 I wrote down

STEAMED and

M E D U S A E to ensure I had spelt it correctly.

It was a longer word on my paper!

User avatar
Bradley Cates
Acolyte
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:47 pm
Location: Southport
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Bradley Cates » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:53 pm

PARODIED in R13
Sfumato soup

User avatar
Tony Atkins
Fanatic
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Tony Atkins » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:59 pm

Wow - so unlucky for Natalie as if she had risked odonates she would have won.
I hope Paul gets a good lunch and plays more keenly in the next show.

User avatar
Tony Atkins
Fanatic
Posts: 2095
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Reading
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Tony Atkins » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Paul Worsley wrote:R10 I wrote down

STEAMED and

M E D U S A E to ensure I had spelt it correctly.

It was a longer word on my paper!
I guess the trick is to count the letters left over and subtract from 9.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7831
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Tony Atkins wrote:
Paul Worsley wrote:R10 I wrote down

STEAMED and

M E D U S A E to ensure I had spelt it correctly.

It was a longer word on my paper!
I guess the trick is to count the letters left over and subtract from 9.
And that's the standard method right there.

Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:32 pm
Location: Blackpool

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Jack Worsley » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Tony Atkins wrote:
I hope Paul gets a good lunch and plays more keenly in the next show.
A bit late for that as this was the first show of the afternoon session.

Natalie was certainly a tricky opponent and on another day, she could have won.

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Devotee
Posts: 905
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Thomas Carey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:36 pm

Jack Worsley wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote:
I hope Paul gets a good lunch and plays more keenly in the next show.
A bit late for that as this was the first show of the afternoon session.

Natalie was certainly a tricky opponent and on another day, she could have won.
I think this just proves the importance of tactical picking. Natalie was, as you said, a tricky opponent who seemed to have around the same ability as Paul, but picking two large in that final numbers was definitely not the right thing to do in her situation.
signature

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7831
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:52 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:
Jack Worsley wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote:
I hope Paul gets a good lunch and plays more keenly in the next show.
A bit late for that as this was the first show of the afternoon session.

Natalie was certainly a tricky opponent and on another day, she could have won.
I think this just proves the importance of tactical picking. Natalie was, as you said, a tricky opponent who seemed to have around the same ability as Paul, but picking two large in that final numbers was definitely not the right thing to do in her situation.
I don't think Paul probably had his best game today. My intuition is that over the long haul, Paul would win more often than not. Well, this might have been an off game for her, but I wouldn't say she was as good as him based on this game because if she'd won with that performance I wouldn't automatically think octochamp.

Mark Murray
Acolyte
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:07 pm

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by Mark Murray » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:48 pm

just watched this game..great one to watch-- If I had have spotted "girasols", would have had my first ever max game. the ever elusive max game....

mark b davies
Rookie
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:03 pm

Re: Spoilers for Tuesday September 23rd 2014 (S71 P51)

Post by mark b davies » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:57 pm

Unlucky Mark. I've never had one either. I got 1 short in last Friday's game. Thought I'd done it until I looked at the spoilers. Really frustrating.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests