Spoilers -- Wednesday 22nd October

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Conor
Series 54 Champion

Spoilers -- Wednesday 22nd October

Post by Conor »

DISCOIDS for 8.
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Re: Spoilers -- Wednesday 22nd October

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

1st numbers game alternative: ((10 x 6) + 9) x (5 + 2) = 69 x 7 = 483.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Well done Charlie. That win confirms your place in the finals. :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yey! My opponent today was such a genuinely nice guy and gave me some real scares early on, but seemed to tail off towards the end and selections like MANITOUS+J are always going to favour the lexonerd.

Incidentally if anyone else is travelling down to Leeds today and will be hanging around the hotel bar, you might well catch sight of me, in which case please do come and say hi!
jeff wharton
Rookie

Post by jeff wharton »

Well done Charlie.It looked a bit dodgy when your opponent got 8
with applause,which I am pleased to say I also got.But the brilliant
reply with manatous steadied the ship.I was pretty useless today
so I was extra pleased to get the conundrum in14 seconds.I also got comedy
but you beat it with a seven.Good luck in the finals.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Missed APPLAUSE and CEREMONY today - I could have lived with one of them being missed but not both. Goodbye cruel world :(
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Indeed I like you got SUPPLE/PLANES/PANELS in the APPLAUSE round but got TINAMOUS/MANITOUS straight away because I've seen that word on Countdown about 25 times, but I can never remember seeings APPLAUSE which uses much more unusual letters.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:Yey! My opponent today was such a genuinely nice guy and gave me some real scares early on, but seemed to tail off towards the end and selections like MANITOUS+J are always going to favour the lexonerd.

Incidentally if anyone else is travelling down to Leeds today and will be hanging around the hotel bar, you might well catch sight of me, in which case please do come and say hi!
I should have met you at Leeds station or something but I've been rushed off my feet today anyway, so it would never have happened.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

David O'Donnell wrote:Missed APPLAUSE and CEREMONY today - I could have lived with one of them being missed but not both. Goodbye cruel world :(
That's what I missed too. :(
Last edited by Conor on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Well done, Charlie, and good luck. I got Applause and all the numbers, but nothing else!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

David O'Donnell wrote:Missed APPLAUSE and CEREMONY today - I could have lived with one of them being missed but not both. Goodbye cruel world :(
I got APPLAUSE and thought of you when I got it as you told me the other day when you missed OCCUPANT that you lazily ignore double consonants. Tut tut.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

kathleen batlle wrote:Well done, Charlie, and good luck. I got Applause and all the numbers, but nothing else!
Can't remember the numbers, but I got APPLAUSE and CEREMONY (although when Charlie didn't declare 8, I thought I had misspelt it). Didn't see MANITOUS though.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
I got APPLAUSE and thought of you when I got it as you told me the other day when you missed OCCUPANT that you lazily ignore double consonants. Tut tut.

I just think APPLAUSE is a really hard word to see because it has no ending like -ate or -able, plus the letters are a quite unusual (AAEULPPS) but MANITOUS is not an easy spot, but it does use common letters, so if you look for words with common letters (which I do) it's not the hardest spot. In fact I'd already considered that if the final vowel was an A, I was gonna play TINAMOUS/MANITOUS. But since I've never seen APPLAUSE on Countdown I didn't get it. I started a whole thread about this months ago but only one person replied - that was Charlie.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

As I watch with subtitles, it was really neat to see APPLAUSE come up in its own panel to signal that people were clapping, as well as in the text. (No, I didn't spot either that or CEREMONY :( , though I did get the conundrum in time. :) )
I did think of GASCONS, but believed it to be capitalised.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
I did have APPEALS in the same round so maybe I am getting slightly better.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I equalled Charlie all the way on this one until missing the target on rd 14 then getting the conundrum, so twas a draw! Another here that spotted TINAMOUS/MANITOUS but missed APPLAUSE (I had APPLES :oops: )