Grand Final Spoilers For Friday December 20th 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Grand Final Spoilers For Friday December 20th 2013

Post by James Robinson »

It's time for the game you've all been waiting for :!: :!: :!:

This series has definitely had its fair share of up's and down's, as well as record-breaking performances. 3 of the top 5 all-time octochamp scores have been achieved, and amazingly, only one of those three players has made the final, with the other two losing to the same player :!: :!:

So, in case you haven't been watching the last 6 episodes (and why you haven't is beyond me), the finalists are the #1 and #7 seeds, Dylan "The Malpas Mutilator" Taylor and Callum "The Tingley Tearaway" Todd.

There are loads of amazing records that could be broken today:

If Dylan wins with a score of over 105 points, he'll be the highest scoring Xicount of all time, overtaking the legendary Julian Fell in top spot.

But, if Callum wins, he'll be the first non-octochamp (if you discount the Viscount, Ben Wilson in Series 46) in the 15-round era to win a series, and would also be the first #7 seed since Verity Joubert in Series 30 back in 1995, and he'd also be only the 4th person to defeat the #3, #2 and #1 seeds in the same finals, and the first since Andy Bodle in Series 26 in 1993. (So, some interesting records there for Callum should he win (NO PRESSURE!! :P ))

Now, time for those all important stats:

Firstly, No.1 Seed Dylan "The Malpas Mutilator" Taylor - 10 Wins, 1,203 Points. (Average: 120.30)
Highest Score: 129 vs. Leone Mitchell (6th Game)
Lowest Score: 108 vs. Gemma Church (Quarter-Final)
9's Achieved: 5/7
Total Points/Max/%: 1203/1301 (92%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 765/807 (95%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 388/394 (98%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 50/100 (50%)

Secondly, No.7 Seed Callum "The Tingley Tearaway" Todd - 9 Wins, 962 Points. (Average: 96.20)
Highest Score: 114 vs. Chris Allum (7th Game)
Lowest Score: 70 vs. Ritch Greenwood (1st Game)
9's Achieved: 3/7
Total Points/Max/%: 962/1283 (75%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 575/802 (72%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 317/381 (83%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 70/100 (70%)

Anthony Endsor will be around with the final recap of 2013 later. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Re: Grand Final Spoilers For Friday December 20th 2013

Post by Callum Todd »

Poor quality game, not worth watching.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Callum Todd wrote:Poor quality game, not worth watching.
ZOMG SPOILERSZ!
Zubair Patel
Rookie

Post by Zubair Patel »

Bluff ? Double bluff ?? 8-)
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Bluff^8
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Call my bluff.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

bluffy the vampire slayah
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Must be one of the easiest Teasers ever......
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

AMARETTO as alt in R1
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Peter Fenton
Rookie

Post by Peter Fenton »

Alternative first numbers (((9+5)x7)+6) x 4 x 2
Peter Fenton
Rookie

Post by Peter Fenton »

Might turn out to be a wise ploy by Callum to go 1L. Not sure it's such a good idea to sit back in your chair when you've got a 9 though. Better to pretend to your opponent that you're still looking for words, like Dylan did. Otherwise your opponent knows you've got a 9 and only needs bother looking for 9s in the selection.

EDIT: I don't know the result, so have no idea if I'll be proved correct or not, RE: 1L
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Alt Numbers: (9-5)*(8+2)*4
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

James Laverty wrote:Must be one of the easiest Teasers ever......
I hope the second teaser made up for your disappointment at the first!
CO-MSO every August
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Tony Atkins wrote:
James Laverty wrote:Must be one of the easiest Teasers ever......
I hope the second teaser made up for your disappointment at the first!
certainly did, took a bit longer on that one
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I did (9+5+2)x(6+7)x4 for first numbers
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Oh. My. God.

In my history of watching Countdown, that's probably been the best final I've ever seen. Absolutely fantastic Callum, all the hard work you put in has finally paid off. And Dylan, no shame at all in losing in a final like this, we all know and respect your ability, just happened to get nicked on the conundrum, it happens. After all this, we need a break going into series 70.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Wow what a game - either the best or second best this year? (The other being the champs final).
VWD to both - I never seem to pick the winner of these things.
CO-MSO every August
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Brilliant final worthy of a fantastic series. Well done to both Callum and Dylan and the other finalists.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Congrats to Callum and commiserations to Dylan.
Great final, one of the best.
Thanks to all who took part - Merry Xmas. Time to go home. :mrgreen:
Peter Fenton
Rookie

Post by Peter Fenton »

Great game and well done to both players - a terrific performance all round. Incredible performance in the finals to beat the calibre of players that you did, Callum. A very worthy champion indeed.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

WOW!!! Superb game, best and most exciting game of the series, a very fitting end to the series. Very well done lads. :D Callum you should be renamed Iceman, you seemed to have no nerves there and excellent match play strategy on the numbers, many congrats on the win. Congrats to you too Dylan on your superb run and record octochamp score. 8-)

Well done to the Countdown team also on yet another excellent series. :)
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

If Carlsberg made countdown finals they couldn't have come up with one like this!

Wowsers! Congrats to both players for a fantastic show.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Simply stunning! That's one of the best games of Countdown I've ever seen, which is saying something. Brilliant play from both and it could have gone either way. I think this game deserves a Robbo style smiley overload. :) ;) :o 8-) 8-) :P :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen: :ugeek: :D :D

Many congrats, Callum! To go behind in round 1 against the record holder and then max the rest of the game was a phenomenal effort. SOUVENIR was a great immediate response to TERATOMA (which was also brilliant from Dylan) and then it was a masterclass by both players. You rounded it off in style with a brilliant conundrum spot to go down in Countdown history. Your improvement rate has been staggering and I can't remember anyone else even coming close to it. For most of the series, people were expecting the series to be won by Dylan, Jen, Glen or possibly Zarte and I was too. I had you down as a dark horse for the finals based on your rapid improvement. You may not have had the high scores that Jen, Glen and Dylan had in their heats but having beaten the top three seeds, all of them superb players, you performed when it really mattered so you can't say the title of series champion hasn't been fully merited.

Credit to Dylan too as he was very gracious in defeat, even if he doesn't tend to show much emotion. He has also been brilliant throughout his run and will also go down as one of the show's greatest ever players.

Thanks as ever to the Countdown team for some wonderful entertainment. This series has been a joy to watch with high-quality players in abundance, with a few of them such as Zarte, Abdi and Mark Hartnett not even making the finals.

EDIT: I like Bradley's idea below. Let's start the new year with a series called the "31st Birthday Championship". :D
Last edited by Jack Worsley on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

Undoubtedly the best game of Countdown I have ever seen in my life. It was a privilege to watch the game live and be part of a magnificent series! Deserved congratulations to Callum! I think this final will be immensely difficult to top!
Countdown Team wrote:Congrats to Callum and commiserations to Dylan.
Great final, one of the best.
Thanks to all who took part - Merry Xmas. Time to go home. :mrgreen:
Given the high quality of contestants in recent series, a Championship of Champions in the near future has to be on the cards, surely?!
Sfumato soup
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Thank you everyone. Series 69 has to be one of the best ever; the quantity of quality players throughout has been astonishing. Probably the best two octoruns ever from our top two seeds, plus by far and away the best pentarun ever from our #9 seed. I felt very out of place going to the finals to play alongside some truly top-class players. I viewed my trip to the studios last month mostly as an invitation to sit back and watch the finals, so I was more surprised than anyone that I wasn't eliminated. Thank you to everyone at the Countdown Studios - and offices - who has been part of my journey from nervously sending in an application form to lifting the Richard Whiteley Memorial trophy. Thank you to my fellow contestants, especially Adam Dexter, who mentioned in conversation a little website by the name of apterous. Without him I wouldn't have achieved 10% of what I have now.

The final has to be one of the greatest games in Countdown history, perhaps the greatest outside of the 30th Birthday Championship. I hope you all enjoyed watching it as much as I did playing it. Dylan was a fantastic opponent and I have always got along well with him before, during, and after our game. Thank you for all of that Dylan, and thank you also to Zarte and Jen, for their radically different but equally inspiring pep talks before the final. Finally, one more thank you must go to Jen for the brownies. They were delicious.
Kevin Steede

Post by Kevin Steede »

Well done to both of you on an amazing game! You were both superb, And congratulations Callum, your progress at the game over the series has been astonishing!
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Callum Todd wrote:Finally, one more thank you must go to Jen for the brownies. They were delicious.
Ah yes, how did Jonathan describe them? "They're lovely, but they're so dense I think light is bending around them..."
James Nguyen
Rookie

Post by James Nguyen »

Fackin ell
Phyl Styles
Acolyte

Post by Phyl Styles »

Hard to find the right adjectives for such an exciting Grand Final, has to be one of the best I can remember, and won by a champion who has made a swift and impressive rise to great heights.
Macte nova virtute, puer, sic itur ad astra (continue in the path of new-found excellence, Callum, and you will go far!).
Fantastic records set by Dylan who maintained an amazing standard right to the closing seconds. Thank you both for giving us such a brilliant conclusion to an extraordinary series.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Absolutely fantastic game to watch between 2 contestants whose personalities, attitudes to the game and Apto history are very different, but who would both have been worthy winners of an unbelievable series. Obviously I was a bit biased in wanting Callum to win, partly because I wanted to say I'd lost to the eventual winner (seeing as I only lost to him by 3 points, that makes me official series runner up, right?) and partly because of mine and Dylan's, um, acrimonious history ;) But aside from either of those two facts, he's just a lovely guy generally (which made losing the quarter final a hell of a lot easier to get over) and thoroughly deserved to win.

Giles, Eddie, Alex Fish and I watched it in the Green Room and all predicted that Dylan would win, and were pretty resigned that we'd been proven right after the first round. Some total genius* predicted when the second selection came out that Callum would get it and Dylan wouldn't (*me), and was proven right, and from then on... wow. Max after max after max. It was so tense in there that when the conundrum got solved, three of us jumped up and shrieked (so loudly that the make-up ladies in the studio could hear us :? ), so I can't imagine how tense it must have been on set - serious kudos to both parties for keeping their cool under the most pressured of circumstances and playing outstandingly. Well done also to Dylan for accepting defeat graciously.

Can't wait to rewatch it!
Callum Todd wrote:thank you also to Zarte and Jen, for their radically different but equally inspiring pep talks before the final. Finally, one more thank you must go to Jen for the brownies. They were delicious.
:D A-lol'd at the bit about pep talks. I'm glad I inspired you ;)

Also, if there is a CoC and I have to play you, I'm totally spiking your brownie next time. (Kidding. Well done again :D )
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

Callum Todd wrote:Thank you for all of that Dylan, and thank you also to Zarte and Jen, for their radically different but equally inspiring pep talks before the final.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm visualizing this as Zarte's and Jen's pep-talk:
http://youtu.be/i0GW0Vnr9Yc
Joyce Phillips
Acolyte

Post by Joyce Phillips »

It's all been said but I have to add my twopennorth: BEST EVER FINAL! Well done lads. No shame in being runner up in a match like that and well done Dylan for being so gracious in defeat. Superb stuff.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Aye, that were alreet that.

Well played everyone, particularly Callum. Presumably the strongest regular series there has ever been. :geek:
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

John Garcia wrote:
Callum Todd wrote:Thank you for all of that Dylan, and thank you also to Zarte and Jen, for their radically different but equally inspiring pep talks before the final.
:lol:
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

John Garcia wrote:
This is more accurate.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

John Garcia wrote:
Hehe, I'd say it was more like this: http://youtu.be/YEVkm60TPKk?t=49s
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Brilliant final, and brilliant series overall. I'd definitely say this was the best series in terms of good players that we've had. To have three 945+ octochamps and one player beating all three of them to win the series is pretty good.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

It's good that Countdown is a non-athletic pursuit, otherwise Callum's meteoric improvement would be dismissed as cynical proof of anabolic steroid use.

Good to see such a great standard of play throughout the finals, it seems as if nearly everybody upped their game.

Dylan has overtaken Julian Fell's long standing record for points in a series, but I guess that won't be much consolation. It would be great to see a Dylan v Jen special - any hope??

Congrats Callum, and to all involved in an epic series.
Zubair Patel
Rookie

Post by Zubair Patel »

Congrats Callum. A well-deserved and inspiring title win. To maintain such a high standard 3 games in succession was insane.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Callum Todd wrote:
John Garcia wrote:
Hehe, I'd say it was more like this: http://youtu.be/YEVkm60TPKk?t=49s
Jennifer Steadman wrote:
John Garcia wrote:
This is more accurate.
Oops, didn't see that post Jen. Yeah, that one is a good example.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Incredible final lads, barring the 30BC games, I don't think I've ever been as nervous/ excited for a game of Countdown in a long time!

It must be said that Dylan has been exceptional throughout his run, dropping next to nothing throughout, and today the standard was just as superb. If you've got anything from this Dylan, it's a serious ego boost from all the Twitter adorers. ;) Besides, like I always say, the all the cool guys come second! Your grace in defeat was top-class.

But serious, serious kudos must go to Callum, having only dipped in and out of Apterous, and indeed this series, for the last while, I know just how incredible your improvement has been, from someone I never really noticed in the summer, to being a series winner in, arguably, the toughest series ever (and that was not easy to admit! :lol: ) is amazing. To be a 7th seed and beat any of the top 3, never blooming mind all 3 (and what a top 3 it was) is just sensational.

Watching the finals this week just brought back all the wonderful memories, and I certainly would not be averse to another CofC. :D
Well played also to Dylan, though I do think that if Glen or Callum can bring him to a crucial on Friday we may have a surprise...
Nailed it. 8-) (and no I didn't have a notion about the result. :P )
Martin Thompson
Acolyte

Post by Martin Thompson »

Easily the highest quality Countdown match I've seen. It was like a world class field in a track race running record breaking times.
Martin Thompson
Acolyte

Tony Atkins wrote:AMARETTO as alt in R1
Golly! I saw that one. Not sure if I would have had the conviction to call it though.
Martin Thompson
Acolyte

Gavin Chipper wrote:Brilliant final, and brilliant series overall. I'd definitely say this was the best series in terms of good players that we've had..
That's where luck of the draw comes in. You could be a potential quarter-finalist, but if your first match is against players of that standard it's exit time.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Martin Thompson wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote:AMARETTO as alt in R1
Golly! I saw that one. Not sure if I would have had the conviction to call it though.
I saw it too, but didn't write it down because I wasn't sure and panicked when Dylan said 8 so stuck with my safe 6. It would have been nice to get a MAX GAME, but oddly enough I think that would have detracted from the spectacle of the final. Us being neck and neck right from round 2 to the conundrum made it excellent.
Martin Thompson
Acolyte

It still would have been a crucial conundrum, though.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Gutted Dylan didn't win, the guy's a Countdown legend!
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

I will always remember walking into the upstairs of the Irish Club in Leamington Spa on 28 Sept 2013. I had arrived early and Andy Platt and Dan McColm (plus his mother) were still busy setting things up. I introduced my wife and 2 youngest daughters who quickly disappeared to go shopping for the day.

I then spotted a skinny kid who looked a bit timid. I started talking to him and asked whether he intended to apply to go on Countdown. "I was actually on yesterday's episode" said Todd. "Oh .... I haven't seen it yet ... we travelled down yesterday afternoon" said I. That was my first encounter with the future series 69 Champion... the one and only.. the fantastic Callum Todd.

I have since met Callum at the recording of the finals and the Huddersfield Aces Trophy tourney. On both occasions, I have been impressed by his humility and skill. Having been out since noon today on a Xmas do, I have yet to see the TV recording. However, having seen what happened "live", I will never forget the whoops of joy from the audience when Callum got the conundrum (I hope that wasn't edited out).

From one Yorkshireman to another, I would like to say "Well done Callum.... that was truly fantastic and you fully deserve all the accolades."
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

WELL, WORDS FAIL ME FOR THAT FINAL :!: :!:

Watching the rest of the finals beforehand was just enjoyable, and after Callum beat Jen, I had a feeling that the final would be Dylan v Callum, but the final that I saw is just something that will live with me forever, and has definitely now overtaken the Julian Fell v Chris Wills special in 2003, as the best game I have ever had the pleasure of seeing live in the studio.

Dylan, magnificent in the quarter and semi, especially as both your opponents in those games got 10 maxes too :!: :!: And the fact you lost with 13 maxes just shows what top form Callum was in to defeat you, but you performed more than admirably, and took your defeat well in such circumstances.

Callum, when you first appeared, you were just a bog-standard player, with a twinkle at 6 small numbers, you didn't seem to be a champion in the making at all (and probably most people on here expected you to lose to Adam Dexter in your 2nd game), and even when I saw you at Leamington Spa, I thought, hmmm, he's getting better, but will probably be just an also ran at the finals, but you have blossomed into an all-conquering, all-powerful, all-knowledgeable Countdown machine, and to have defeated the top 3 seeds in the final is staggering, and almost hard to believe (as I said above, you're the first person in 20 years to do that :!: :!: :!: :!: :shock: :o )

LET THIS BE REMEMBERED, AS ONE OF, IF NOT THE BEST EPISODES OF COUNTDOWN EVER!!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:

I need a lie down now............. :P :P :P :P :P
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

James Robinson wrote:WELL, WORDS FAIL ME FOR THAT FINAL :!: :!:

Watching the rest of the finals beforehand was just enjoyable, and after Callum beat Jen, I had a feeling that the final would be Dylan v Callum, but the final that I saw is just something that will live with me forever, and has definitely now overtaken the Julian Fell v Chris Wills special in 2003, as the best game I have ever had the pleasure of seeing live in the studio.

Dylan, magnificent in the quarter and semi, especially as both your opponents in those games got 10 maxes too :!: :!: And the fact you lost with 13 maxes just shows what top form Callum was in to defeat you, but you performed more than admirably, and took your defeat well in such circumstances.

Callum, when you first appeared, you were just a bog-standard player, with a twinkle at 6 small numbers, you didn't seem to be a champion in the making at all (and probably most people on here expected you to lose to Adam Dexter in your 2nd game), and even when I saw you at Leamington Spa, I thought, hmmm, he's getting better, but will probably be just an also ran at the finals, but you have blossomed into an all-conquering, all-powerful, all-knowledgeable Countdown machine, and to have defeated the top 3 seeds in the final is staggering, and almost hard to believe (as I said above, you're the first person in 20 years to do that :!: :!: :!: :!: :shock: :o )

LET THIS BE REMEMBERED, AS ONE OF, IF NOT THE BEST EPISODES OF COUNTDOWN EVER!!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:

I need a lie down now............. :P :P :P :P :P
Thank you James. Thanks to that post, I no longer regret chickening AMARETTO in round one. If this had been a max game as well, I'd probably have killed you.
Jayne Wisniewski
Rookie

Post by Jayne Wisniewski »

Just want to add my congratulations to you both for a superb final.
John Gillies
Acolyte

Post by John Gillies »

Jordan F wrote:Oh. My. God.

In my history of watching Countdown, that's probably been the best final I've ever seen.
That was just awesome. I'm old enough to have been watching Countdown right from the very first episode (apart from losing a bit of interest during both Des' s years) and that has to be the most exciting game ever.

Well done Callum and commiserations Dylan, and congratulations both for a terrific final.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Callum Todd wrote:Thank you James. Thanks to that post, I no longer regret chickening AMARETTO in round one. If this had been a max game as well, I'd probably have killed you.
That probably would be appropriate for a big Countdown fan like me. :P :lol:
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

As has been said, that's the lowest seed who's won since 1995 in Series 30, but Callum's victory is underlined by the fact that he defeated the number one seed whereas the Series 30 winner defeated the number eight seed (yes, it was 7 v 8 in the final!).
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Callum Todd wrote:Thank you James. Thanks to that post, I no longer regret chickening AMARETTO in round one. If this had been a max game as well, I'd probably have killed you.
*dying with laughter*
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

That was fantastic! I gave you some hints as to how to improve, but you really took that to such a high level! I'm still struggling to believe you won, that was an absolutely fantastic run. (P.S. can I have some tips how to deal with nerves please!)
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Dan McColm wrote:That was fantastic! I gave you some hints as to how to improve, but you really took that to such a high level! I'm still struggling to believe you won, that was an absolutely fantastic run. (P.S. can I have some tips how to deal with nerves please!)
Bobble your head around like the Churchill dog, seems to work for Chief.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Dan McColm wrote:That was fantastic! I gave you some hints as to how to improve, but you really took that to such a high level! I'm still struggling to believe you won, that was an absolutely fantastic run. (P.S. can I have some tips how to deal with nerves please!)
Oh yes.

I dealt with nerves by not having any, because I went there fully expecting to get thrashed at every turn. It didn't even occur to me that victory was so much as possible until after the last letters round, and even then it wasn't the first thing to come to mind as I thought first about Zarte's 137 score and how that was now guaranteed to be the series high score. I guess that's an official statistic thingy now; congratulations Zarte!
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Callum Todd wrote:
Zarte Siempre wrote:
Oh yes.

I dealt with nerves by not having any, because I went there fully expecting to get thrashed at every turn. It didn't even occur to me that victory was so much as possible until after the last letters round, and even then it wasn't the first thing to come to mind as I thought first about Zarte's 137 score and how that was now guaranteed to be the series high score. I guess that's an official statistic thingy now; congratulations Zarte!
*stares coyly at the floor*
Martin Thompson
Acolyte

I think the most nervous thing would be first coming on and having to talk a bit about yourself. After that, you'd be too busy trying to spot words and numbers within the 30 seconds.