Spoilers For Wednesday December 18th 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Wednesday December 18th 2013

Post by James Robinson »

So, it's now into the semi-finals we go, and today we have a very interesting match, that I think we've all been secretly waiting for.

Dylan Taylor, fresh from being seconds away from that elusive MAX GAME against Gemma is back, probably happy in the knowledge that he certainly won't be up against Jen in Friday's final, should he get there.................

But, in the way is Bradley Cates, who has shown some amazing knowledge, despite never being on Apterous or using any computerised learning method, has seemingly mastered the dictionary, and should definitely be considered as a serious threat in today's matchup.

Now, time for those all important stats:

Firstly, No.1 Seed Dylan "The Malpas Mutilator" Taylor - 9 Wins, 1,082 Points. (Average: 120.22)
Highest Score: 129 vs. Leone Mitchell (6th Game)
Lowest Score: 108 vs. Gemma Church (Quarter-Final)
9's Achieved: 4/6
Total Points/Max/%: 1082/1168 (93%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 684/724 (94%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 348/354 (98%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 50/90 (56%)

Secondly, No.4 Seed Bradley "The Southport Superstorm" Cates - 9 Wins, 978 Points. (Average: 108.67)
Highest Score: 123 vs. Andrew Bryce (3rd Game)
Lowest Score: 95 vs. Tom Conlon (8th Game)
9's Achieved: 2/6
Total Points/Max/%: 978/1171 (84%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 589/724 (81%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 319/357 (89%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 70/90 (78%)

Join me later for the recap. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Last edited by James Robinson on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers For Wednesday December 18th 2013

Post by Tony Atkins »

Rachel seemed pleased that someone found the 9x9x9 method - I saw it second after Dylan's way.
Lot's of alt 7s in R1 - mine was SPUMING.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Tony Atkins wrote:Rachel seemed pleased that someone found the 9x9x9 method - I saw it second after Dylan's way.
Lot's of alt 7s in R1 - mine was SPUMING.
was SPAEING for me.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

VIOLONE as a R...7(?) equaller
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

VIOLOGEN in round 7.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

My alt 7 in R13 summed up how I was beaten today - SOUNDLY. Well done to both players.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Another max-conundrum?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Dave Preece wrote:Another max-conundrum?
Nope, I make that a 12 maxer going by conundrum, PRIMULA and Jack's DC beater.

Great standard today, very unlucky to Bradley who kept up with Dylan for more or less the whole show, great to see him come back after so many years and perform so well!

Well played also to Dylan, though I do think that if Glen or Callum can bring him to a crucial on Friday we may have a surprise...
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Well played also to Dylan, though I do think that if Glen or Callum can bring him to a crucial on Friday we may have a surprise...
Before the finals started, I thought Dylan was the best player but predicted that he would lose the final to Jen on a crucial conundrum, provided she could stay with him on the numbers rounds. Obviously that exact scenario isn't going to happen, but certainly the conundrums do seem to be the one chink in an otherwise impenetrable armour, and potentially a costly one.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Great game, well played lads. Well done for the win Dylan and well done Bradley on making the semis. :)
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

A superb run to the semis from Bradley and he kept right up with Dylan to the end. Good to see he had the balls to go 6 small at the end ( though it arguably plays to Dylan's strength there was no point in going 1 large).
Dylan is top notch but you feel he could do with having 10+ points lead after r14. That'll take 13 max, at least, in the final!
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Well played Dylan. I think Bradley is the most underrated player in the finals, probably because we don't know as much about him as some of the apterous-playing finalists. But with a century score against Dylan, today he showed that if he did play on apterous he'd easily be among the top players.
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

Thanks, everyone, for all your comments from all my games. It has been a pleasure reading them! The last few months have been a blast and I'll never forget the experience!

By the way, does anyone know whether there will be another Championship of Champions? I would love to take part!
Sfumato soup
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Welcome Bradley, and congratulations again for making it to the semi-finals. I think all of us on apterous and C4 were very impressed by your run.

The Champion of Champions point has been a topic of a good amount of discussion. Initially there was a hiatus for awhile with things like the battle of the two champions of each year happening (speaking of which, did Jack vs Paul ever occur? I feel like I never caught wind of if that ever happened). Then the 30th Birthday championship happened, and now the question is would they continue Champion of Champions for Series 67 and beyond, or are they sticking to the previous system? Let's put it this way Bradley, you're not the first to ever bring up that question on here.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Great to see you on here Bradley. I don't think anyone knows for sure when the next CoC is, but it'll be announced on here by the Countdown Team if and when it does happen. In the meantime, it'd be great to see you at a CO-event if you wanted to come to one.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Well done Dylan for making it to the final. You were up against a very strong opponent in this one and really had to be on good form to make it through. Bradley, you played another excellent game and ran Dylan very close - well done! Deserving semi-finalist and unlucky to have to meet the number 1 seed at this stage. Very good game of Countdown, that.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."