Octochamp Conundrum Difficulty (The Unauthorized Sequel)

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.

Which Series 67/68/69 octo had the easiest set of conundrums?

Heather
33%
David
No votes
Andy
13%
Giles
20%
Eileen
7%
Joe
7%
Glen
No votes
Dylan
No votes
Jen
No votes
Alex
20%

Total votes: 15

Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Octochamp Conundrum Difficulty (The Unauthorized Sequel)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

This idea is blatantly stolen from here. Apologies to its original author, who may or may not still be an active member here. But I liked the idea. You're welcome to send me a cease and desist order.

Some years ago, there was a poll on here relating to the difficulty of Series 59/60/61 octochamps' conundrums, and some enlightening conversation ensued. With so many octos having appeared recently, I figured it was high time to do this again.

Of the conundrum sets for the ten most recent octochamps, as listed below, which did (or would) you consider to be the easiest to get all 8 of? The hardest to get all 8 of? How many of our viewers got 8/8 on these at home? Out of all of these conundrums, which did you consider the most rubbish? If Graeme is around, are there any stats he could do on these?

Enlighten us with your conundrum difficulty opinions, all.

Octochamp Conundrum Sets

Heather Styles: REJOICING SUSPECTED UNSKILLED CONVERGED GALLSTONE SPRAINING CORRUPTED KNACKERED

David Barnard: WITHSTOOD ACCOSTING HEARTBEAT RECEIVING RESERVOIR COMPACTLY GOLDSMITH NEGLECTED

Andy Platt: BREAKDOWN SUPPLYING EIDERDOWN CUSHIONED AMBERGRIS LIGHTENED RETENTION CORNFLOUR

Giles Hutchings: PARODYING SANITIZED CAPTIVITY PULSATING DETRACTED TURNTABLE FOLLOWING LAWNMOWER

Eileen Taylor: APOLOGIZE CHATTIEST NATURALLY SUBSIDING DIAGNOSED FORTNIGHT LUBRICANT PATIENTLY

Joe McGonigle: TRADEMARK AFTERNOON DISINFECT HINDERING MASOCHIST CERTAINLY FAVOURITE LEATHERED

Glen Webb: MARSHLAND FRUITCAKE PILLORIED AGGRAVATE COLLUSION SCREENING WHICHEVER CHILDCARE

Dylan Taylor: FREELANCE STRINGENT DROWSIEST LOINCLOTH REMINISCE ANTHOLOGY COUNTBACK SHRINKAGE

Jen Steadman: BANDWAGON GUESSWORK SCRAPYARD UNASHAMED FRAGILITY RELEVANCE INTELLECT STEADFAST

Alex Fish: FLOUNCING RECOGNIZE INSULATED TREADMILL CARNATION IMAGINARY PAINFULLY SALVAGING
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Re: Octochamp Conundrum Difficulty (The Unauthorized Sequel)

Post by Andy Platt »

lol, who the fuck voted me
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

None of these can really be described as easy, on the whole they definitely seem harder than the ones in the old thread. Very hard to choose one, I ended up picking Heather's even though it included the pretty nasty GALLSTONE.

It would be interesting if Charlie or Raccoon could perform their stats magic again here, and perhaps compare the two sets on the whole.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I think the scramble can have an effect on the difficulty. Can you include those as well?
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

Andy Platt wrote:lol, who the fuck voted me

Yeah, my bad, I read it as hardest.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Mark James wrote:I think the scramble can have an effect on the difficulty. Can you include those as well?
Consider it done.

Heather: CRONIEJIG PETCUSSED KENISDULL CORNEDVEG TANGELLOS ANGRINIPS DROPCRUET RAKEDNECK

David: TWODOTHIS ITSCOGNAC TEABREATH NICEGIVER RIVERROSE CAMPYCLOT MILDGHOST DECENTLEG

Andy: DANBOWKER NIPPYSLUG DONEWEIRD EUNOCHSID MRBIGEARS THEDINGLE ROTTENINE UCFORLORN

Giles: ORANGYDIP INDIAZEST PITYVICTA SPINALGUT DEADCERTT UNBLATTER WOLFLINGO RAWWMELON

Eileen: POLIOGAZE SITTHECAT LAYLATURN BIGUNDISS EDNASDOGI THORNGIFT TRAINCLUB TINYPLATE

Joe: DARTMAKER ONEOFTRAN SIFDICENT DININGHER COSIMATHS LYCRANITE OAFVIRTUE TREADHEEL

Glen: LARDNMASH FRIEATUCK ILLPERIOD EGGAVATAR OILCONSUL ENCRINGES VICHHEWER HERALDICC

Dylan: CEREALFEN NETTGRINS ISETWORDS COLINHOLT SEMINICER HOLYTANGO BACONTUCK HESARKING

Jen: WANDABONG WEGORUSKS CARRYPADS HAMSUNDAE AFITGIRLY CLEVERENA CLIENTTEL DAFTASSET

Alex: FLUNGCOIN ECOZINGER LADIESNUT MILDALTER NOTCRANIA MAYAIRING FINALLYUP NAVALGIGS
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Mark James wrote:I think the scramble can have an effect on the difficulty. Can you include those as well?
Absolutely agree, I think this is a very important point!
paul james

Post by paul james »

hey guys,did you forget about me,lol!
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

I voted for my own :)

Paul, I too wondered why this list didn't include all the Series 67 octochamps - it includes the ten most recent octochamps.

For the record, in order of appearance:

Paul James: IVYFRINGE, BRANDSWIT, FUJIEDITS, CATSGOAPE, SILLYFEET, COMEAGAIN, SPENDARAP, SOMETROUT
Chris Marshall: LEMURSBED, SMOOTHALE, PAPALAIRS, EPICDRAMA, PUPWARDEN, BEATLATEX, MUMSAYING, MOONYSTAR
Liam Shaw: COILTRIOS, DENIMCLUB, ITSBETTER, INSALATAS, ICETARGET, DOGIETURN, ERASEDHER, AUGMENTID
Tia Corkish: ROADVENUE, OFFERTORN, IRINGTHEM, MEBITDUST, ACEDONGLE, CRUSHAHIP, NEEDSLARD, PHOTOFEAR
Rose Boyle: ICEINVENT, TOTUESDAY, DEADVITAL, GREYNOTUS, ARMYEXPEL, TEACOFFII, USEPROMPT, EVILREIGN
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Heather Styles wrote:I voted for my own :)

Paul, I too wondered why this list didn't include all the Series 67 octochamps - it includes the ten most recent octochamps.

For the record, in order of appearance:

Paul James: IVYFRINGE, BRANDSWIT, FUJIEDITS, CATSGOAPE, SILLYFEET, COMEAGAIN, SPENDARAP, SOMETROUT
Chris Marshall: LEMURSBED, SMOOTHALE, PAPALAIRS, EPICDRAMA, PUPWARDEN, BEATLATEX, MUMSAYING, MOONYSTAR
Liam Shaw: COILTRIOS, DENIMCLUB, ITSBETTER, INSALATAS, ICETARGET, DOGIETURN, ERASEDHER, AUGMENTID
Tia Corkish: ROADVENUE, OFFERTORN, IRINGTHEM, MEBITDUST, ACEDONGLE, CRUSHAHIP, NEEDSLARD, PHOTOFEAR
Rose Boyle: ICEINVENT, TOTUESDAY, DEADVITAL, GREYNOTUS, ARMYEXPEL, TEACOFFII, USEPROMPT, EVILREIGN
If you include those, I'd have Chris' lot over Eileen's which I chose. :D
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

I only got 5 of mine just doing them now. Got 6 of Eileen and 7 of Heather so I'm going with Heather ;)