Calculating one's own score

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Calculating one's own score

Post by Guy Barry »

What's the best method of calculating one's own score when watching a game? There seem to be several possible methods:

(1) Raw score, ignoring the contestants;
(2) Playing against one contestant or the other;
(3) Playing against both contestants simultaneously, so you only claim the points if neither contestant does better;
(4) Playing against the best word/solution in the studio, including Dictionary Corner and Rachel (I don't think I'd risk this!).

I've noticed that some people here use method (2) but you can run into problems with the conundrum if you're playing against one contestant and the other buzzes in first.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Re: Calculating one's own score

Post by Ryan Taylor »

You've missed out probably the most common one:

(5) Playing against both contestants simultaneously, keeping two separate scores
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

(6) Playing against James Robinson (retrospectively)
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:You've missed out probably the most common one:

(5) Playing against both contestants simultaneously, keeping two separate scores
Yip, that's what I always do (did) if keeping score.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Same here. Although coincidentally my score against both contestants yesterday was exactly the same for the whole game - probably the first time this has happened.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:You've missed out probably the most common one:

Yip, that's what I always do (did) if keeping score.
Yeah that seems to be the way a lot of the geeks on here do it. But I think the simplest system (known as "the standard method") is just to have one score where you obviously have to equal or beat the top scoring contestant in that round. You also obviously take points off their score when you beat them. The way people do it on here doesn't really work for numbers or conundrums. I can sort of understand it if you specifically want to compare yourself against someone in particular but in general it's just more hassle. Don't do it.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

How does it not work for numbers? Conundrums as you say are problematic but you'll always get a true result against at least one of the contestants.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:How does it not work for numbers? Conundrums as you say are problematic but you'll always get a true result against at least one of the contestants.
If one is closer than the other you won't know if the further away declaration is valid. If you beat them it doesn't matter though obviously.
James Roper
Rookie

Post by James Roper »

What I tend to do is create a wiki/apto style grid and play one contestant. I try to play against as many people as possible in a series. Out of 27 prelims, I've only missed 3 people to play against.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

When I played along, I played against both contestants simultaneously.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:When I played along, I played against both contestants simultaneously.
Yup, always do that. 8-)
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Both contestants simultaneously for me too, although I do sometimes make different declarations against each contestant, normally when I'm unsure of a word and it depends on whether I would have to declare first or second.
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

Before I went on, I used to play against the champion first and if I beat them I'd then play only against the challenger as if I was the actual reigning champion at the time and hope that I would get 8 wins and then just repeat the process. That way I knew if I could do it consistently I'd know I was capable of becoming an Octochamp.I would also keep a note of my scores to see how I was progressing over time and compare myself score wise to other Octochamps who'd been and done it before me as I felt it would give me a good indication as to how well I could potentially do.
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I always play the champ. If it's 2 newbies I get someone to pick the one they think looks smarter.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I play DC/RR.

/brag
James Roper
Rookie

Post by James Roper »

Zarte Siempre wrote:I always play the champ. If it's 2 newbies I get someone to pick the one they think looks smarter.
I used to do that, but when you get series like S67 where there were 7 octochamps, playing the same people for 56 episodes does become slightly more boring than it used to. I like variety.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

I don't specifically play anyone or keep track of my own score. /brag?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:I don't specifically play anyone or keep track of my own score. /brag?
I was just gonna say, does anyone else just watch it?
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

James Roper wrote:
Zarte Siempre wrote:I always play the champ. If it's 2 newbies I get someone to pick the one they think looks smarter.
I used to do that, but when you get series like S67 where there were 7 octochamps, playing the same people for 56 episodes does become slightly more boring than it used to. I like variety.
I disagree - why would I want to play some duffer they've brought in at short notice over someone with genuine skill. I realise most players are competitive at least, but some really are just awful.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

I play against each contestant, though if its obvious I'm going to win comfortably against one or the other I'll stop counting. Hard to resist the temptation to give myself the benefit of the doubt when playing the likes of Giles! (Ah yeh, I would have declared that dodgy 8 that turns out to be legit)

As I always watch on Sky Plus it's not unknown for me to use the pause button as a buzzer when it's a crucial conundrum. Usually only do that if I'm watching alone, the wife thinks I'm sad enough as it is.