Ask Graeme?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Ask Graeme?

Post by Johnny Canuck »

What selection has contained the fewest distinct letters? I'm willing to bet that every selection has featured at least four different letters.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Edward Byrne
Rookie

Post by Edward Byrne »

It doesn't look as if 4 Large was a regularly picked numbers selection in the early days of countdown, can you tell me, what would be the first instance of someone picking 4 Large on countdown?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Matty Artell wrote:In the 15-round ear, what is the average score from challengers when 0 nines, 1 nines, and 2 nines are available? What about for octochamps?
Average score for a player in the first episode of their run:

In the old 15-round format: 66.55 with no nines available, 68.47 with one nine available, 69.17 with two nines available.
In the new 15-round format: 63.18 with no nines available, 66.38 with one nine available, 66.42 with two nines available.
In both 15-round formats combined: 65.97 with no nines available, 68.11 with one nine available, 68.81 with two nines available.

For octochamps, counting only the heat games of their octorun:

In the old 15-round format: 95.33 with no nines available, 99.19 with one nine available, 101.50 with two nines available.
In the new 15-round format: 102.29 with no nines available, 105.73 with one nine available, 112.44 with two nines available.
In both 15-round formats combined: 96.62 with no nines available, 100.51 with one nine available, 103.37 with two nines available.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Johnny Canuck wrote:What selection has contained the fewest distinct letters? I'm willing to bet that every selection has featured at least four different letters.
Every selection has indeed featured at least four distinct letters. At least, this is true for all the letters rounds we have details for.

Only four letters rounds have featured only four distinct letters, and none of them are recent.

Round 3 in episode 54
Round 7 in episode 1020
Round 3 in episode 1071 (round 5 in this game is one of the 86 letters rounds containing only five distinct letters)
Round 3 in episode 1079

It's also happened at least once at a CO event: game 1, round 4 at the first CoREA.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Edward Byrne wrote:It doesn't look as if 4 Large was a regularly picked numbers selection in the early days of countdown, can you tell me, what would be the first instance of someone picking 4 Large on countdown?
4 large was first picked in this Countdown Masters game. Although we don't have round details for some earlier episodes, Mike Brown is pretty sure this was the first time it happened.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

If Liam Moloney qualifies for the finals of this series, it will mean that his first and last heat opponents (Judy Bursford and Stephen Briggs respectively) will also make the finals. Are there any previous examples of this happening?
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Jack Worsley wrote:If Liam Moloney qualifies for the finals of this series, it will mean that his first and last heat opponents (Judy Bursford and Stephen Briggs respectively) will also make the finals. Are there any previous examples of this happening?
Think it happened in series 70 with Neil Green, Sean Fletcher and Samir Pilica but I could be wrong
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Have you -- or anyone else, as far as you know -- made a list of octochamps in order of raw score yet? If so, would you please be able to compile this? (Just the new 15-round format would be fine.)

Apologies if this was already asked somewhere, but I was curious about it after doing my last Mocktorun and couldn't find the data on here anywhere.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

What's the closest any selection has ever been to TNETENNBA, both (a) disregarding the positions of the letters, and (b) with the letters needing to be in the correct positions?
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Which contestant has appeared with the most Dictionary Corner guests?
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

James Laverty wrote:Which contestant has appeared with the most Dictionary Corner guests?
And what's the most games anyone's done with the same guest?
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jack Worsley wrote:If Liam Moloney qualifies for the finals of this series, it will mean that his first and last heat opponents (Judy Bursford and Stephen Briggs respectively) will also make the finals. Are there any previous examples of this happening?
In series 22, Anne Lyng lost to David Webb who lost to Robert Teuton, and all three made the quarter finals. I suppose the bigger question is - what's the longest run of linked contestants who all made the knockouts?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It surprises me to this day that there were (I think) only two proper max games in the nine-round era. What I want to know is after each number of rounds how many people were still on for a max? So, after one round, how many contestants were still on for a max game, how many after two, all the way up to nine. And also when you get near the end of this, it might be worth mentioning the specific games that were still on for a max going into the latter stages.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Gavin Chipper wrote:It surprises me to this day that there were (I think) only two proper max games in the nine-round era. What I want to know is after each number of rounds how many people were still on for a max? So, after one round, how many contestants were still on for a max game, how many after two, all the way up to nine. And also when you get near the end of this, it might be worth mentioning the specific games that were still on for a max going into the latter stages.
Can we do this for 15 rounders too?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Gavin Chipper wrote:In series 22, Anne Lyng lost to David Webb who lost to Robert Teuton, and all three made the quarter finals. I suppose the bigger question is - what's the longest run of linked contestants who all made the knockouts?
James Laverty wrote:Think it happened in series 70 with Neil Green, Sean Fletcher and Samir Pilica but I could be wrong
Correct. This is the only time it has happened in the 15 round era.

In the 9 round era it was a lot more common, probably because the series were shorter then. Series 2 was a short series with a 16-player finals stage so there's a 13-player chain for that one. If we exclude that, the longest unbroken chain of finalists in the heats of a series, measured by number of players, was six in series 11.

Series 2: David Myerscough, Sheila Mann and Peter Finley; also Maurice Packman, Philip Appleby, Norma Nicholson, Ash Haji, Russell Byers, Michael Firth, Gary Roussak, Bobbie Bennett, Maureen Kelly, Ivy Baird, Ingram Wilcox, Joan Ross and Philip Nelkon.
Series 3: Ted Wiles, Allan Simmons and William Bradford.
Series 4: Christine Hunt, Peter Skiba, Sydney Price and Robert Richland.
Series 5: Leslie Olson, Peter Evans and Jane Smith.
Series 7: Robert Coton, Gary Franks and Julian Hough.
Series 9: Mick Keeble, Geoff Taylor and David White; also Alan Lee, Peter Scott and Anne Tipp.
Series 10: Maggie Barker, David Whiting and Harvey Freeman.
Series 11: Alan Johnson, Ken Heaton, Marianne Croll, Ted Kimmons, David Reid and James Wilkie.
Series 13: John Clark, Peter Tatlow, Mike Whiteoak, Nita Marr and Mike Preston.
Series 14: Joel Salkin, Derek Rutter, Frank Houston and Stephen Deakin.
Series 15: Frances Rush, Pat Martin, Peter Pryer; also Gavin Rogers, Paul Walker and Kathleen Vickers.
Series 16: John Widdowson, Jenny Haldane, Roger Wales and Andrew Loheide.
Series 17: David Poulter, Jean Tweddell and Tim Morrissey; also Len Marshall, Jim Saywell and Lawrence Pearse.
Series 18: Rajaretnam Yogasagarar, Shirley Scott and Derek Stuart-Clark.
Series 21: Jackie McLeod, Malcolm Mackinnon and Adam Simmons; also Nick Saloman, Barry Grossman, Gillian Tickle and Lew Schwarz.
Series 22: Anne Lyng, David Webb and Robert Teuton.
Series 27: Gill Nickson, David Elias and Robin Benoy.
Series 29: Barry Hughes, Chris Rogers and Andy Cusworth.
Series 30: Martin Linden, Andrew Bull and Verity Joubert.
Series 32: Alan Sinclair, Craig Douglas and Satbir Gupta.
Series 37: Janet Nelson, Kate Surtees and Brett Smitheram; also Mark Wyndham-Jones, Ruth Collier, Christine White, Ricky Zinger and Ray McPhie. One chain of three and one chain of five, so all eight finalists had already played at least one other finalist.
Series 38: Ruth Atkin, Steve Fisher and Keith Burton.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Have you -- or anyone else, as far as you know -- made a list of octochamps in order of raw score yet? If so, would you please be able to compile this? (Just the new 15-round format would be fine.)

Apologies if this was already asked somewhere, but I was curious about it after doing my last Mocktorun and couldn't find the data on here anywhere.
These tables include up to the end of series 72.

Raw score, in case anyone isn't aware, is your score including the points you would have got in rounds where you didn't score anything because your opponent had a longer word or closer numbers solution, but no change is made for conundrums. If a player's numbers solution was not asked for because their opponent beat it, I've assumed that the unheard numbers solution was correct.

New 15 rounders, including Andy Platt's hybrid octorun:

Code: Select all

Giles Hutchings       983  
Dylan Taylor          974  
Glen Webb             963  
Dan McColm            956  
Jen Steadman          952  
Tom Cappleman         939  
Mark Murray           931  
Andy Platt            907  
Gerry Tynan           895  
Bradley Cates         894  
Antoinette Ryan       890  
Tricia Pay            883  
Tracey Mills          875  
George Ford           863  
Andy Noden            862  
Mark Davies           856  
Andrew Naylor         845  
Samir Pilica          844  
Alex Fish             835  
Jonathan Liew         834  
Laurence Killen       826  
Kevin Steede          811  
Eileen Taylor         792  
Joe McGonigle         787  
Jordan Barker         779  
Steve Redfern         731
What's this? An extra bonus table which includes the rest of the 15 round era, with series 46 viscounts' scores scaled up? Yes. Yes it is.

Giles Hutchings            983  
Dylan Taylor               974  
Glen Webb                  963  
Jack Hurst                 959  
Dan McColm                 956  
Jen Steadman               952  
Julian Fell                948  
Andrew Hulme               940  
Tom Cappleman              939  
Kirk Bevins                937  
Mark Murray                931  
Chris Wills                925  
Adam Gillard               922  
Craig Beevers              920  
Eoin Monaghan              919  
Chris Davies               916  
Edward McCullagh           914  
Andy Platt                 907  
Conor Travers              905  
Stewart Holden             899  
Steven Briers              895  
Gerry Tynan                895  
Bradley Cates              894  
Paul Gallen                893  
Chris Cummins              892  
Antoinette Ryan            890  
Tom Hargreaves             889  
Innis Carson               889  
Jonathan Rawlinson         888  
David O'Donnell            887  
Jon Corby                  885  
Tricia Pay                 883  
Tracey Mills               875  
George Greenhough          875  
Jack Welsby                874  
Matthew Shore              869  
James Hurrell              865  
Daniel Pati                865  
George Ford                863  
Charlie Reams              862  
Andy Noden                 862  
Mark Tournoff              860  
Richard Brittain           858  
Jack Worsley               857  
Mark Davies                856  
John Mayhew                855  
Jeffrey Hansford           855  
Marcus Hares               853  
Lee Hartley                852  
Paul Howe                  851  
Mark Deeks                 851  
Stuart Solomons            850  
Stuart Earl                848  
Grace Page                 846  
Tom Barnes                 846  
Andrew Naylor              845  
Graeme Cole                845  
Samir Pilica               844  
Scott Gillies              841  
John Brackstone            840  
Tim Reypert                840  
Peter Lee                  839  
Martin Bishop              839  
Shane Roberts              839  
Oliver Garner              839  
John Davies                838  
Alex Fish                  835  
Jonathan Liew              834  
Wendy Roe                  833  
Cate Henderson             833  
Jon O'Neill                832  
Kai Laddiman               832  
Ryan Taylor                827  
Laurence Killen            826  
Paul James                 824  
John Hunt                  822  
Loz Sands                  821.333...
Junaid Mubeen              818  
Kevin Thurlow              818  
John Gray                  818  
Richard Heald              818  
Paul Ryan                  816
Mike Pullin                815  
Danny Hamilton             815  
Ben Wilson                 814.666...
Michael Macdonald-Cooper   811  
Kevin Steede               811  
Rupert Stokoe              810  
Steven Moir                810  
Richard Pay                809  
Ross Allatt                809  
Keith Maynard              808  
Jimmy Gough                807  
Michael Bowden             806  
Martin Gardner             805  
David Thirlwall            804  
Jonathan Coles             804  
Aaron Webber               803  
Gary Male                  802  
Nik Von Uexkull            802  
Neil Zussman               802  
David Barnard              802  
Tom Rowell                 800  
Phil Wass                  797.333...
Amey Deshpande             797  
Julia Wilkinson            797  
Jim Bentley                797  
Jean Webby                 795  
Sweyn Kirkness             794  
James Roberts              794  
Paul Keane                 793  
Eileen Taylor              792  
David Von Geyer            788  
Joe McGonigle              787  
Judith Young               786  
Tony Warren                782  
David Edwards              781  
Jeffrey Burgin             779  
Jayne Wisniewski           779  
Heather Styles             779  
Jordan Barker              779  
Chris Marshall             775  
Brenda Jolley              774  
Brian Selway               774  
Liam Shaw                  774  
Nick Wainwright            766  
Joe Zubaidi                764  
Dave Taylor                764  
Rose Boyle                 760  
Chris McHenry              759  
Tia Corkish                757  
Andy McGurn                754  
Stu Horsey                 753  
Steve Wood                 752  
Suzi Purcell               751  
Carl Williams              750
Ian McMenzie               748  
James Doohan               734  
Steve Redfern              731  
Danny Pledger              725  
Ned Pendleton              720 
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Johnny Canuck wrote:What's the closest any selection has ever been to TNETENNBA, both (a) disregarding the positions of the letters, and (b) with the letters needing to be in the correct positions?
(a) Round 6 in this game had 8 of the 9 letters of TNETENNBA in it.
(b) Five rounds have had five letters in the correct positions for TNETENNBA: round 3 in this game, round 3 in this game, round 6 in this game, round 12 in this game, and round 7 in this game.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

James Laverty wrote:Which contestant has appeared with the most Dictionary Corner guests?
Tim Morrissey has appeared with ten different DC guests. I initially thought that Conor Travers and Chris Wills tied for this record, but it turned out I was counting "none" as a DC guest; in fact they've both only appeared with 9 different guests each. Darryl Francis, Natascha Kearsey, Andrew Hulme and Jon O'Neill have also appeared with 9 different guests.
Last edited by Graeme Cole on Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Thomas Carey wrote:
And what's the most games anyone's done with the same guest?
That's weird. I already wrote and submitted the answer to this as the answer to James's post, then realised I'd misread his post and answered the wrong question so I deleted my reply. Now I realise the question I thought James was asking has been asked directly below it. Ho hum...

As of this post last year, the record was 10. Clive Freedman appeared 10 times with Gyles Brandreth. This hasn't changed. It's quite a difficult record to break nowadays, because the pool of regular DC guests is larger now than it was in the early days of the show.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Gavin Chipper wrote:It surprises me to this day that there were (I think) only two proper max games in the nine-round era. What I want to know is after each number of rounds how many people were still on for a max? So, after one round, how many contestants were still on for a max game, how many after two, all the way up to nine. And also when you get near the end of this, it might be worth mentioning the specific games that were still on for a max going into the latter stages.
Maxes in nine-rounders are based on rather shaky data, not only because the maxes on our wiki are judged against a different dictionary, but also because we have incomplete details for some games. Nevertheless, here it is. A max is where you score the highest number of points available, even if a closer numbers solution which scores the same was possible.

If you imagine all 2,945 televised nine-round games for which the max is known, and run them all simultaneously...

After 1 round, 1,856 players were still on a max.
After 2 rounds, 666 players.
After 3 rounds, 259 players.
After 4 rounds, 137 players.
After 5 rounds, 56 players.
After 6 rounds, 18 players.
After 7 rounds, 10 players. These were Jenny Haldane, Alec Webb, Darren Shacklady, Andrew Perry, Allan Saldanha, Allan Saldanha (again), Tony Killilea, Kate Ogilvie, Susan Shilton and John Rawnsley.
After 8 rounds, 5 players. These were Jenny Haldane, Darren Shacklady, Allan Saldanha, Allan Saldanha (again) and Tony Killilea.
After 9 rounds, 3 players had got a max. These were Jenny Haldane, Darren Shacklady and Allan Saldanha .
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Can we do this for 15 rounders too?
There are 3,104 televised 15-rounders of one flavour or other for which the max is known, up to the end of series 72.

After 1 round, 2,210 players were still on for a max.
After 2 rounds, 870 players.
After 3 rounds, 408 players.
After 4 rounds, 214 players.
After 5 rounds, 162 players.
After 6 rounds, 105 players.
After 7 rounds, 65 players.
After 8 rounds, 42 players.
After 9 rounds, 32 players.
After 10 rounds, 26 players.
After 11 rounds, 19 players.
After 12 rounds, 13 players. These were Paul Gallen, Kirk Bevins, Kirk Bevins, Edward McCullagh, Graeme Cole, Kirk Bevins, Conor Travers, Jon O'Neill, Conor Travers, Conor Travers, Jen Steadman, Dylan Taylor and Dan McColm.
After 13 rounds, 12 players. These were Paul Gallen, Kirk Bevins, Kirk Bevins, Edward McCullagh, Graeme Cole, Kirk Bevins, Conor Travers, Jon O'Neill, Conor Travers, Conor Travers, Dylan Taylor and Dan McColm.
After 14 rounds, 9 players. These were Kirk Bevins, Edward McCullagh, Kirk Bevins, Conor Travers, Jon O'Neill, Conor Travers, Conor Travers, Dylan Taylor and Dan McColm.
After 15 rounds, 7 players. These were Kirk Bevins, Kirk Bevins, Conor Travers, Jon O'Neill, Conor Travers, Conor Travers and Dan McColm.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Excellent work as always Graeme. It looks like round 6 was a real max killer in the 9-round days, with fewer than a third of the players who maxed the first five rounds maxing this one. Also the final numbers had just a 50% hit rate. It would have been good if Allan Saldanha (again) had been the one to max the game rather than Allan Saldanha.*

*Of course we really know that neither of them maxed a game. Not properly.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Graeme is awesome, it must be said. It's not said enough. Or at least, I don't say it enough.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Quality work GC.
Peter Thomas
Rookie

Countdown episode 6234

Post by Peter Thomas »

Hi Graeme,

I'm interested to know if this episode is the first time in the 15 round format, that a contestant (Ross Lough) has failed to score in any of the letters rounds.

Thanks,

Peter
Peter Thomas
Rookie

Post by Peter Thomas »

Hi Graeme,

I'm interested to know if this episode is the first time in the 15 round format, that a contestant (Ross Lough) has failed to score in any of the letters rounds.

Thanks,

Peter
Peter Thomas
Rookie

Post by Peter Thomas »

Hi Graeme,

I'm interested to know if episode 6234 is the first time in the 15 round format, that a contestant (Ross Lough) has failed to score in any of the letters rounds.

Thanks,

Peter
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

I'm not Graeme, but it isn't. This was. Presumably these are the only two but I may well be wrong. [x3]
cheers maus
Peter Thomas
Rookie

Post by Peter Thomas »

Thanks for the reply, Thomas. I note that Michael Smith got the conundrum though which makes Ross Lough more unique (if you can be more unique...)
Sorry about the triplicate posting; I very rarely post and had forgotten the procedure.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Peter Thomas wrote:I very rarely post and had forgotten the procedure.
The procedure is to type your post out and click "submit", as opposed to doing that and then doing it twice more. :D
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Thomas Carey wrote:I'm not Graeme, but it isn't. This was. Presumably these are the only two but I may well be wrong. [x3]
Yes, that and the episode Peter mentioned are the only two examples in 15-round games.
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

Hi Graeme,

What are the highest numbers of maxes achieved by players who've lost their first game? (totally not trying to find comfort in my loss or anything :P )
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Awesome analysis of the raw scores -- it'll help me loads when I'm trying to figure out how good (or miserable) my Mocktorun performances are in comparison to the crowd.

I'll reward you for your awesome number-crunching by giving you another question.

In the past few weeks, most recently today, I've noticed that several conundrums from previous finals- and championship-stage games have been reused in prelims. How many conundrum solution words have appeared in at least one prelim as well as at least one game from a higher stage of competition? Of these, for how many did the higher-stage use happen before the prelim use, and for how many did it happen after?
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Related: what's the most used conundrum? What's the most used conundrum scramble? How many unique conundrums (solutions) have there been ( in how many episodes)? Tyvm as always
cheers maus
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

James S Roper wrote:Hi Graeme,

What are the highest numbers of maxes achieved by players who've lost their first game? (totally not trying to find comfort in my loss or anything :P )
Peter Steggle holds the record, being the only player to lose his debut with 11 maxes.

Here are all players who lost the first game of a run with 9 maxes or more, up to the end of series 72:

EP SERIES     DATE                                 MAXES
5907   70     2014-04-17    Peter Steggle             11   

3809   52     2004-11-04    David Morgans             10   
3945   53     2005-06-13    Paul Lyne                 10   
4235   55     2006-11-15    Christine Smith           10

3171   47     2002-01-21    Terry Rattle               9    
3213   47     2002-03-20    Gordon Innes               9    
3285   48     2002-07-08    Fiona Farquharson          9    
3426   49     2003-02-25    David Poyser               9    
3445   49     2003-03-24    Keith Williams             9    
3466   49     2003-04-22    Andrew Naylor              9    
3591   50     2003-11-18    Paul Skingsley             9    
3598   50     2003-11-27    John Charleston-Stokes     9    
3827   52     2004-11-30    Andrew Byrne               9    
3915   53     2005-04-26    Jenny Scudamore            9    
3923   53     2005-05-09    Jim Anderson               9    
4104   54     2006-05-16    Richard Green              9    
4352   56     2007-05-11    Eileen Organ               9    
4372   56     2007-06-08    Kathleen McAulay           9    
4396   57     2007-07-12    John Berkley               9    
4694   59     2008-10-21    Allan Harmer               9    
4760   60     2009-02-18    Anita Fairhurst            9    
4961   62     2010-01-20    Daphne Lord                9    
5226   64     2011-03-23    Peter McLoughlin           9    
5340   65     2011-09-27    Ophelie Humphrey           9    
5667   68     2013-03-26    Alex Newton                9    
5908   70     2014-04-18    Mike Wilson                9    
5917   70     2014-05-02    Stuart McQuitty            9    
5977   71     2014-08-19    Simon Bryan                9    
5981   71     2014-08-28    Callum Pickering           9    
5995   71     2014-09-19    Kieran O'Driscoll          9    
5997   71     2014-09-23    Natalie McCluskey          9    
6024   71     2014-11-03    Tom Pettinger              9    
6117   72     2015-04-06    Mark Perrett               9
Last edited by Graeme Cole on Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Awesome analysis of the raw scores -- it'll help me loads when I'm trying to figure out how good (or miserable) my Mocktorun performances are in comparison to the crowd.

I'll reward you for your awesome number-crunching by giving you another question.

In the past few weeks, most recently today, I've noticed that several conundrums from previous finals- and championship-stage games have been reused in prelims. How many conundrum solution words have appeared in at least one prelim as well as at least one game from a higher stage of competition? Of these, for how many did the higher-stage use happen before the prelim use, and for how many did it happen after?
Up to the end of series 72, 404 distinct conundrum solutions have been used in a prelim as well as in a different kind of game. By "different kind of game" I mean any televised game in the database that isn't a prelim or a Masters game, so that includes specials, finals, CoCs, Supreme Championship, etc. In 111 of these cases, the solution's earliest appearance in a prelim was before its earliest appearance in another game, and in 293 cases it was after.

I initially excluded Masters games from the "higher stage of competition" category because there are so many of them, but if you include them the total number of reused solutions jumps up to 717, of which 182 were used in a prelim first and 535 otherwise.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Thomas Carey wrote:Related: what's the most used conundrum?
DECLARING and PERPETUAL, which have been used six times each. Another 32 conundrum solutions have been used five times.
Thomas Carey wrote:What's the most used conundrum scramble?
LOVEFRAUD and TOOQUAINT have both been used four times. Incidentally, TOOQUAINT was also one of the conundrum scrambles in my audition. Another 31 scrambles have been used three times.
Thomas Carey wrote:How many unique conundrums (solutions) have there been ( in how many episodes)? Tyvm as always
Counting all televised episodes of all formats up to the end of series 72, there have been 3,657 distinct conundrum solutions. In the 6,074 conundrum rounds for which we know both the scramble and the answer (there are quite a few early shows where the scramble isn't recorded), there were 5,663 distinct scrambles. There are 6,295 televised episodes in total, of which 485 contain at least one conundrum where the scramble is not known.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Is Romaine Boothe from today's show the person who has the longest first name that is a valid word :?: :?:
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

James Robinson wrote:Is Romaine Boothe from today's show the person who has the longest first name that is a valid word :?: :?:
There have definitely been a few people called Victoria on the show. There might be some nines but I haven't checked yet.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Graeme Cole wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Is Romaine Boothe from today's show the person who has the longest first name that is a valid word :?: :?:
There have definitely been a few people called Victoria on the show. There might be some nines but I haven't checked yet.
http://wiki.apterous.org/Jessamine_O%27Connor
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

A question that might be appropriate for 11-11-2015: Is Round 1 of this game the only time a given letter has come up four times in a row on the board with no intervening letters?

(And how did this round even stay in? I'd expect it to be reshot after even the third R.)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Hi Graeme.

Inspired by Romaine's excellent LONGITUDE spot, I was wondering how many winless contestants there are who got a nine that their opponent didn't? I seem to remember one octochamp this series beating somebody despite missing a nine, and a lady getting DESPERADO in round one (but then losing) against Paul Howe.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:Hi Graeme.

Inspired by Romaine's excellent LONGITUDE spot, I was wondering how many winless contestants there are who got a nine that their opponent didn't? I seem to remember one octochamp this series beating somebody despite missing a nine, and a lady getting DESPERADO in round one (but then losing) against Paul Howe.
My second opponent opened with DECORATES, which I missed.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Spoilers! Oh my god - you've ruined my life!

(I haven't caught up with Paul Howe's games yet.)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ian Volante wrote:

Interesting. I'd like to see the games where it has happened, maybe there's quite a few. Somebody did it against Tom, didn't they? That one may have been a case of Tom being comfortably ahead and cruising a bit, not sure. When some unknown quantity smacks you down with a 9 in the first round, you've got to think your number's probably up?

(Whoops, sorry Gev. Forgot about the spoilerish nature of my question.)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:

Interesting. I'd like to see the games where it has happened, maybe there's quite a few. Somebody did it against Tom, didn't they? That one may have been a case of Tom being comfortably ahead and cruising a bit, not sure. When some unknown quantity smacks you down with a 9 in the first round, you've got to think your number's probably up?

(Whoops, sorry Gev. Forgot about the spoilerish nature of my question.)
Actually, it was my third opponent. I carried the 18-point deficit through to round twelve before coming back to win, much like my first game, and assumed in both cases that I was knacked.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Jon Elmer got the nine DISPERSER against me. It was unpencilled at the time, too.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

Has anyone ever completed an octorun without getting a conundrum?

I ask this as a topical question because Matt Le Tassier is currently half way there.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Andy McGurn wrote:Has anyone ever completed an octorun without getting a conundrum?

I ask this as a topical question because Matt Le Tassier is currently half way there.
Not sure, Ryan Taylor famously only got one, and even then it took him 27 or so seconds to get it!!
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Is this the new spoiler thread?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Clive Brooker wrote:Is this the new spoiler thread?
My thoughts exactly.
Jon Stitcher
Rookie

Post by Jon Stitcher »

I asked this quite a while ago as I lost a game by 37 points despite getting a 9 my opponent missed. Somewhere they're all listed.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

James Robinson wrote:
Andy McGurn wrote:Has anyone ever completed an octorun without getting a conundrum?

Not sure, Ryan Taylor famously only got one, and even then it took him 27 or so seconds to get it!!
Nikki Roberts came close. She failed to solve a single one in eight games but she lost her last game. I think it was said at the time that she would have been the first octochamp to achieve the feat and I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done since.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon Stitcher wrote:I asked this quite a while ago as I lost a game by 37 points despite getting a 9 my opponent missed. Somewhere they're all listed.
Oh yeah! Cheers, just found it.

Great question, by the way.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Johnny Canuck wrote:A question that might be appropriate for 11-11-2015: Is Round 1 of this game the only time a given letter has come up four times in a row on the board with no intervening letters?
It's one of only two. The other was round 4 in this episode.
Johnny Canuck wrote:(And how did this round even stay in? I'd expect it to be reshot after even the third R.)
I'd like to think it was because the inevitable pirate impressions from the audience were considered too funny to edit out.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

List of players who, in losing their only game of a run, got a nine in a round where their opponent didn't:

TX DATE       EP     CONTESTANT            WORD          OPPONENT
1984-04-23    145    Jill Brown            UNFEELING     Sydney Price
1985-02-12    261    Richard MacFarlane    UNDERGONE     Sheila Alder
1986-10-28    456    Patrick Redmond       BREASTING     David Whiting
1988-06-07    749    Steve Hindle          ASSERTING     Kathleen Vickers
1993-03-01    1368   Michael Feaver        UNVISITED     Don Reid 
1997-01-24    1927   Glyn Chidley          GERANIUMS     Peter Sampson
1999-04-20    2504   Tessa Phelan          BATTERIES     Dorian Jeffrey
2001-02-14    2948   Daryl Brooks          DESCALING     Nicola Smith
2002-01-21    3171   Terry Rattle          CHAGRINED     Chris Wills
2002-01-23    3173   Agnes Budis           PATRONISE     Chris Wills
2002-04-02    3222   Joe Radcliffe         TARDINESS     Rupert Stokoe
2002-05-22    3255   Alan Sowter           REVALUING     Mike Pullin
2002-07-22    3294   David Cooper          PLACEMENT     David Nickeas
2002-10-02    3332   Trish Staples         GRADIENTS     Mike Brown
2003-09-26    3554   Janet Chambers        CREAMIEST     Bonnie White
2004-03-01    3655   Mo Janson             LAUNDRIES     Stewart Holden
2004-04-20    3686   David Minor           VARNISHED     Nicole Hutchings
2004-08-05    3751   Stewart Smeed         MARAUDING     Jack Welsby
2004-11-17    3818   Ronnie Boyd           MANICURED     Mark Tournoff
2005-01-20    3853   Robert Stone          DEPLETION     Brian Roles
2005-04-19    3910   David Hutton          INTERNALS     Ross Allatt
2005-06-22    3952   Leslie Ritchings      DECANTERS     Helen Mathieson
2006-02-08    4030   Alison Campbell       DESPERADO     Paul Howe 
2006-03-28    4067   Ken Coney             COURTLIER     Tuck Broadbent
2006-04-26    4090   Julie Cameron         NAVIGATED     Jan Gates
2006-07-12    4145   Phil Watkins          LAMINATES     Stuart Dowey
2006-09-20    4195   Paul Manning          MEDIATING     Richard Brittain
2007-01-15    4272   George Rhodes         DECORATES     Ian Volante
2007-02-09    4291   Nick Gray             COPULATED     Vivienne Mead 
2007-05-22    4359   Andrew Sweet          CRUMMIEST     Stewart Gordon
2008-05-20    4604   Nick Horton           UNDERFOOT     Carl Dundas
2008-06-26    4631   Brian Gregory         SPECULATE     Lee Simmonds
2008-11-26    4720   Daryl Hawes           DATELINES     Steve Elcock
2009-07-22    4866   Carol Warren          ARRESTING     Paul Varlaam
2009-09-21    4889   Russell Langdown      TOLERATED     Jeffrey Burgin
2010-03-12    4998   Stuart Inglis         CAPTIONED     Kevin Davis
2010-08-23    5094   Jean Miles            DETAINING     Tom Rowell
2010-11-24    5161   Mark Bannister        COMPENDIA     Niall Young
2012-01-11    5401   Barry Williams        LOTTERIES     Jack Worsley
2012-04-10    5459   Spencer Taylor        UNCREATED     Rob Gibney
2013-10-01    5781   John Blaker           FLOUNDERS     Callum Todd 
2013-11-27    5822   Robin Gray            MAGNETISE     Jonathan Liew 
2014-03-31    5896   Trevor Grundy         OLEANDERS     Ann Robinson
2014-05-12    5920   Edward Kenny          UNSPOILED     Sean Fletcher
2014-11-12    6031   Alex Davies           ENACTIONS     Laurence Killen
2015-03-04    6099   Alex Williamson       SUSTAINED     Jordan Barker
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

No.

Lindsay Denyer, Maria Boyes, Jeffrey Burgin, Ryan Taylor and Ned Pendleton all completed an octorun with one conundrum solve.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Graeme Cole wrote:

List of players who, in losing their only game of a run, got a nine in a round where their opponent didn't:

TX DATE       EP     CONTESTANT            WORD          OPPONENT
1984-04-23    145    Jill Brown            UNFEELING     Sydney Price
1985-02-12    261    Richard MacFarlane    UNDERGONE     Sheila Alder
1986-10-28    456    Patrick Redmond       BREASTING     David Whiting
1988-06-07    749    Steve Hindle          ASSERTING     Kathleen Vickers
1993-03-01    1368   Michael Feaver        UNVISITED     Don Reid 
1997-01-24    1927   Glyn Chidley          GERANIUMS     Peter Sampson
1999-04-20    2504   Tessa Phelan          BATTERIES     Dorian Jeffrey
2001-02-14    2948   Daryl Brooks          DESCALING     Nicola Smith
2002-01-21    3171   Terry Rattle          CHAGRINED     Chris Wills
2002-01-23    3173   Agnes Budis           PATRONISE     Chris Wills
2002-04-02    3222   Joe Radcliffe         TARDINESS     Rupert Stokoe
2002-05-22    3255   Alan Sowter           REVALUING     Mike Pullin
2002-07-22    3294   David Cooper          PLACEMENT     David Nickeas
2002-10-02    3332   Trish Staples         GRADIENTS     Mike Brown
2003-09-26    3554   Janet Chambers        CREAMIEST     Bonnie White
2004-03-01    3655   Mo Janson             LAUNDRIES     Stewart Holden
2004-04-20    3686   David Minor           VARNISHED     Nicole Hutchings
2004-08-05    3751   Stewart Smeed         MARAUDING     Jack Welsby
2004-11-17    3818   Ronnie Boyd           MANICURED     Mark Tournoff
2005-01-20    3853   Robert Stone          DEPLETION     Brian Roles
2005-04-19    3910   David Hutton          INTERNALS     Ross Allatt
2005-06-22    3952   Leslie Ritchings      DECANTERS     Helen Mathieson
2006-02-08    4030   Alison Campbell       DESPERADO     Paul Howe 
2006-03-28    4067   Ken Coney             COURTLIER     Tuck Broadbent
2006-04-26    4090   Julie Cameron         NAVIGATED     Jan Gates
2006-07-12    4145   Phil Watkins          LAMINATES     Stuart Dowey
2006-09-20    4195   Paul Manning          MEDIATING     Richard Brittain
2007-01-15    4272   George Rhodes         DECORATES     Ian Volante
2007-02-09    4291   Nick Gray             COPULATED     Vivienne Mead 
2007-05-22    4359   Andrew Sweet          CRUMMIEST     Stewart Gordon
2008-05-20    4604   Nick Horton           UNDERFOOT     Carl Dundas
2008-06-26    4631   Brian Gregory         SPECULATE     Lee Simmonds
2008-11-26    4720   Daryl Hawes           DATELINES     Steve Elcock
2009-07-22    4866   Carol Warren          ARRESTING     Paul Varlaam
2009-09-21    4889   Russell Langdown      TOLERATED     Jeffrey Burgin
2010-03-12    4998   Stuart Inglis         CAPTIONED     Kevin Davis
2010-08-23    5094   Jean Miles            DETAINING     Tom Rowell
2010-11-24    5161   Mark Bannister        COMPENDIA     Niall Young
2012-01-11    5401   Barry Williams        LOTTERIES     Jack Worsley
2012-04-10    5459   Spencer Taylor        UNCREATED     Rob Gibney
2013-10-01    5781   John Blaker           FLOUNDERS     Callum Todd 
2013-11-27    5822   Robin Gray            MAGNETISE     Jonathan Liew 
2014-03-31    5896   Trevor Grundy         OLEANDERS     Ann Robinson
2014-05-12    5920   Edward Kenny          UNSPOILED     Sean Fletcher
2014-11-12    6031   Alex Davies           ENACTIONS     Laurence Killen
2015-03-04    6099   Alex Williamson       SUSTAINED     Jordan Barker
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!
SPOILER ALERT!!!

We can add Graham Burgess from today onto the list. :geek: :ugeek:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

That's still not helpful because I just scrolled down to the bottom of the thread and saw the spoiler before the spoiler space. Plus it would be hard to read later posts (like this) without seeing it.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

And Lee Nixon, shame he didn't win tbh
cheers maus