Are they moving again?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Are they moving again?

Post by Jason Larsen »

I heard that Countdown will be moving from Manchester to Salford soon. Is this true? If so, why? Is it in the same studio as Blue Peter is taped?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Are they moving again?

Post by James Robinson »

Indeed, Jason.

They've already moved the stuff out of Granada, and will be recording at MediaCityUK when they restart filming, whenever that is. 8-)

And it's the same place as Blue Peter, but not necessarily the same building, because it is a big complex is MediaCityUK.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

James Robinson wrote:They've already moved the stuff out of Granada, and will be recording at MediaCityUK when they restart filming, whenever that is.
August 28th, I think. :geek:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Mike Brown wrote:
James Robinson wrote:They've already moved the stuff out of Granada, and will be recording at MediaCityUK when they restart filming, whenever that is.
August 28th, I think. :geek:
Oh right, specials day. Or so I've heard......................... ;)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Will there be a new set?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jason Larsen wrote:Will there be a new set?
No, it'll stay blue. So, the Leeds Studios, the Granada Studios and the MediaCityUK set will all have had the blue set. 8-) :geek: :ugeek:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Good!
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

According to Wikipedia, Granada will move to MediaCityUK in early 2013.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So that means they will move in November, right?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Heather Styles wrote:Granada will move to MediaCityUK in early 2013.
Jason Larsen wrote:So that means they will move in November, right?
What sort of calendar do you operate on Jason? Do weeks begin on Thursdays too?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Matt, Countdown episodes are usually taped two months in advance, right?
Ciaran Thompson
Rookie

Post by Ciaran Thompson »

Well it says on the Countdown Twitter page that they're moving to a new "state-of-the-art studio" in Salford Media Centre and that it's "exciting times" for Countdown, so presumably that means a new set. The message was posted on 6th July, with a picture of three guys moving the clock out of the current studio. The strange thing is that that would mean a new studio half-way through this series. Or maybe they may end this series early. They seemed to film a lot of episodes in May and June of this year as I recall, so perhaps they were trying to get as many episodes in the blue studio done before they moved location to a new studio, so that theyve got enough episodes to carry on to October so they could end the series early?

Since 2008, there's been a 4-week break for Countdown over August and sometimes a special episode or two thrown in as we all know. But this year they're not doing that. There appears to be episodes right up until the end of August on the online TV guides. Maybe because of the move at the beginning of July, and so along with the extra filming in May and June, they're trying to get in as many episodes on TV to make up a series. The episodes then might takes us up to October with the finals then. They may just have a special championship for the 30th anniversary in the new studio, for a few weeks in November, have a long break over December / Christmas time and then resart a new series in January as normal. Or they might start a new series in late October, in this brand new "state-of-the-art studio", in time for the 30th anniversary and carry on through into the new year?

Starting a new series in Autumn used to be the norm before 2000 and there were 3 series in 2001 with the third series of that year starting in September. This was due to the show going from 30 to 45 minutes, if you remember. Also, in 2005, the show was off the air from July to October in respect of Richard. The new series began at the end of October and carried on to May 2006.

We shall have to see.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

That does sound like a more than a logical explanation, Ciaran, but I think the words, "wishful" and "thinking" spring to mind on this occasion. :roll:
Ciaran Thompson
Rookie

James Robinson wrote:but I think the words, "wishful" and "thinking" spring to mind on this occasion. :roll:
Why?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ciaran Thompson wrote:
James Robinson wrote:but I think the words, "wishful" and "thinking" spring to mind on this occasion. :roll:
Why?
Well, there are quite a few reasons.

1. The "state of the art" studio, is surely a reference to the MediaCityUK Studios, which are new and state of the art, compared definitely to the Granada Studios, which have been there for longer than most of us have been alive :!: And that would rule out the switch of set halfway through a series, which is surely too stupid.

2. They might have recorded quite a few shows before the summer break that they have, but having had a look all the info at my disposal carefully, I think that they only have 3-4 weeks of shows in the can, which is pretty low, and if they had wanted to finish the series early, surely the finalists would have an idea by now, and we have 2 octochamps to ask about that too.

3. As we all know, Damian has shown little to no interest of any special CoC matches, and if they want to do something for the anniversary, it'll probably somewhere along the lines of what happened at the 25th, when we got 2 legends back for a one-off match, although I would like something bigger too. :D

So, it's probably going to be no big deal unfortunately. :(
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Does Damian think the Champion of Champions tournament doesn't keep up with the times anymore?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Jason Larsen wrote:Does Damian think the Champion of Champions tournament doesn't keep up with the times anymore?
I think, as he has said a few times before disappearing from here, he just doesn't like the idea of giving up 3 weeks to past players and seems to want to get as many new people on as possible.

Obviously don't know what the official reason is, but he seems to have that and the idea of a Supreme Championship II very much at the back of his thoughts.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Ok. He's the Series Producer, so I understand.
Ciaran Thompson
Rookie

James Robinson wrote:
Ciaran Thompson wrote:
Why?
Well, there are quite a few reasons.

1. The "state of the art" studio, is surely a reference to the MediaCityUK Studios, which are new and state of the art, compared definitely to the Granada Studios, which have been there for longer than most of us have been alive :!: And that would rule out the switch of set halfway through a series, which is surely too stupid.

2. They might have recorded quite a few shows before the summer break that they have, but having had a look all the info at my disposal carefully, I think that they only have 3-4 weeks of shows in the can, which is pretty low, and if they had wanted to finish the series early, surely the finalists would have an idea by now, and we have 2 octochamps to ask about that too.

3. As we all know, Damian has shown little to no interest of any special CoC matches, and if they want to do something for the anniversary, it'll probably somewhere along the lines of what happened at the 25th, when we got 2 legends back for a one-off match, although I would like something bigger too. :D

So, it's probably going to be no big deal unfortunately. :(
1. "state-of-the-art studio" - the singular - sounds like one studio thats totally new and different. "state-of-the-art studios" - the plural - would more likely mean the overall studios of the Media Centre. I see your point though. I never said they might change the studio mid-way in a series by the way. I just said that that would be strange as well.

2.Here were the recording dates for May - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 28th, 29th, 30th and June - 6th, 7th, 8th, 18th, 19th, 20th. These were first broadcast from 2nd July onwards. That's 60 shows or 3 months of Countdown, taking into account the week with only one episode, so all those recordings take us up to about early October. Not far off from my original prediction. I'm sure that in those latter recordings (that havent been broadcast yet) there are now at least 2-3 more octochamps in that time, bringing the total up to a typical 4-5. Anyway this is all speculation.

3.I think Damian should produce another CofC, because we're overdue for one. Last one was almost 8 series ago. CofC's may be 3 weeks of champs, but they occur only every few years, not every few months, so no great strain on the viewers I'm sure. Countdown is renowned for its champs. SC was a great success. It can be again. As you say, the 30th anniversary will probably be like the 25th, and I agree, it should be bigger but probably wont be.

Also, Countdown has been struggling to get contestants for a few years now - hence the contestant applications being placed on the audience seats and 'how to apply' details on ticker tapes flying under Susie during her Origins piece on every single episode. Having CofC's means you've got 15 episodes sorted with past players. I don't get Damian's logic. Oh well. I'm sure he's done a great job in many ways and Countdown is still the best! :)
Last edited by Ciaran Thompson on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

It's Damian's decision because he's the Series Producer.
Ciaran Thompson
Rookie

Jason Larsen wrote:It's Damian's decision because he's the Series Producer.
True, but there's no harm in sharing opinons.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes Ciaran
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Ciaran Thompson wrote: Since 2008, there's been a 4-week break for Countdown over August and sometimes a special episode or two thrown in as we all know. But this year they're not doing that. There appears to be episodes right up until the end of August on the online TV guides.
All this is speculation of course. However, Channel 4 will be broadcasting the Paralympics from August 29th. So it could possibly be that Countdown will have a delayed break during coverage.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Ciaran Thompson
Rookie

Julie T wrote:
Ciaran Thompson wrote: Since 2008, there's been a 4-week break for Countdown over August and sometimes a special episode or two thrown in as we all know. But this year they're not doing that. There appears to be episodes right up until the end of August on the online TV guides.
All this is speculation of course. However, Channel 4 will be broadcasting the Paralympics from August 29th. So it could possibly be that Countdown will have a delayed break during coverage.
Yeah, speculation indeed. I forgot about the Paralympics.
Ciaran Thompson
Rookie

Jason Larsen wrote:Yes Ciaran
Yes Jason. And on the note of sharing opinions, can I say, I love Seattle and Frasier too.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Great Ciaran!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Returning to COCs and SCII, Mike has on his notes that Richard Whiteley said that "a supreme championship happens once every 33 series". That should have meant that the last one should have been done by now (we're on 67). But Damian says that COCs have to have 3 weeks but they used to do it in 7 days!
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Didn't somebody else say that supreme championships aren't possible anymore?
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Some of the players are probably too good now, the general public like to play along from what I've heard
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Julie T wrote:
For anyone who missed Nick's announcement on Friday, Countdown will be having a four week break, back on Monday 17th September.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli