The Return of Susie

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

The Return of Susie

Post by Charlie Reams »

Susie is back today, so here's a good home for the inevitable discussion. Is she back to her best already?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: The Return of Susie

Post by Jon Corby »

Dunno what you're on about in particular, but she looked fantastic today :D
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Was sort of getting used to Alison, but as soon as I saw Susie and then her delight at the champion spotting DETAINERS I thought was great.

Long live Susie!
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

James Hurrell wrote:Was sort of getting used to Alison, but as soon as I saw Susie and then her delight at the champion spotting DETAINERS I thought was great.

Long live Susie!
I just knew this thread would contain a major spoiler, but I just couldn't help myself! :lol:

And as you're so good at juggling on national TV, I forgive you, James!

Mike.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Mike Brown wrote:
James Hurrell wrote:Was sort of getting used to Alison, but as soon as I saw Susie and then her delight at the champion spotting DETAINERS I thought was great.

Long live Susie!
I just knew this thread would contain a major spoiler, but I just couldn't help myself! :lol:

And as you're so good at juggling on national TV, I forgive you, James!

Mike.
LOL. I never even noticed the spoiler, shows how easy it is to do. Having met Alison I have to point out that she was very nice and a delight in dictionary corner. Obviously, it was great to have Susie back today but as far as I am concerned both do an excellent job and I am happy to see either in the role.
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Sorry guys - I should know better. :oops:
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Now Susie is back and she is doing her 'origins of words' feature I again, I think it odd that Damian puts her before the second numbers game. We get the guest to camera bit at the end of Part 1 (after the numbers) and before the teaser and break, Susie would surely be better placed in the corresponding position after the numbers and before the teaser and break at the end of Part 2. I am just thinking of the contestants' concentration.......
Last edited by Chris Corby on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Yea I thought the timing was weird when I was filming, everytime after the last letters in part 2 (ie round 9) I'd get a clear sheet of paper and get poised for the numbers... then of course instead of the numbers it was the origin of words bit which kinda interrupted the game.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Interesting comments - Chris / Craig.

The 'Language Report' from Susie is deliberately placed after Rd 9. I'm not overly concerned about loss of concentration of the contestants, i don't think its a real problem. Afterall, we do stop and start for varied reasons throughout the recording and i think if those playing the game listen to Susie and enjoy her offerings, they'll stay in the 'zone' and be okay. Craig, you must have played tons of Scrabble games where the tournament runner has to nip off and verify a challenged word, which can sometimes take a minute or two, its a similar sort of thing really. If you've got the mind focused, it shouldn't be an issue.

The danger of an 'after Rd 10' position for this slot is that people at home see it as an excuse for an extended break and nip out to put the kettle on, but it deserves more than that - so its placed in a part of the show where it has more prominence.

Thanks to those who asked us to get David Mitchell, we're on the case but it might not be until June, due to his current commitments.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Excellent! :D
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Damian E wrote:Thanks to those who asked us to get David Mitchell, we're on the case but it might not be until June, due to his current commitments.
Yeeeaaahhhhh :D :D :D Nice one Damian, that's fantastic news! It'll be worth the wait, really looking forward to it.

Agree with your comments re Susie's origin-of-words bit - the last couple of shows is the first time I've seen that feature, because I wasn't watching when it first started. It's good, I'm enjoying it...
mackenzie

Post by mackenzie »

I think most of the panelists from QI/Mock the Week would make great guests for DC. I'd love to see Frankie Boyle on, but somehow I don't think his type of humour would resonate too well with the typical Countdown viewer...
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I'm another who's only seen Susie's spot since she returned this week. I'd seen comments about it, but not had a chance to see any of them before. The two I've seen so far have certainly been worth watching.

I support the reasoning behind having Susie between rounds 9 and 10, Damien. I can only assume that because you're keeping the guest spot in its position after round 5 you're quite happy for the viewers to go off and have a cup of tea then. Of course, with some guests, the viewers might well be back with their cuppas before the guest has finished. :P
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Like any self-respecting Countdowner I make my cuppa in the ad break. I'd rather sit through a dull guest's tirade than subject myself to the endless Stairlift adverts!
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Thanks for the reply Damian and your reasoning behind it. I would never make a cup of tea whilst Susie was on but then I never watch "Countdown" live and I would be surprised if many who write here do. Don't we all record it on 'Series Link' and watch it later so that we can fast forward/jump the ads? The earliest I ever watch it is 3.40pm so that my recording finishes more or less as the programme ends by the time I have fast forwarded the ads and usually the guest's piece to camera (exceptions being Paul Zenon, Phil Hammond, Jo Brand and Pam Ayres).
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Damian E wrote:Thanks to those who asked us to get David Mitchell, we're on the case but it might not be until June, due to his current commitments.
If this comes off it will be the proudest moment of my adult life.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Personally I think it's up to people themselves whether they wanna skip past bits/go put the kettle on or not, so I don't really see the argument for having Susie's bit before round 10 as opposed to after it. Perhaps it's just some sort of equilibrium thing to try and have more people watch it and be enlightened, compensating for the programs that immediately follow Countdown.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

I like the Origin of Words, find it thoroughly educational, and I'm glad it's back. I do agree that it would be better after the numbers round though - why create unneccessary distractions for the players?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Chris Corby wrote:I would never make a cup of tea
Me neither, that's what our women for - right Dad?
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Corby wrote:
Chris Corby wrote:I would never make a cup of tea
Me neither, that's what our women for - right Dad?
Your mother is on her way round to you now with a baseball bat....................

Do you want one lump or two?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

:)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

The incestuous flirting on this forum is getting a bit gross.
Wil Ransome

Post by Wil Ransome »

There's one thing about Susie (who is in my opinion otherwise quite excellent and I'm glad she's back) that always irritates me: When player A has won with a 7-letter word and she disallows player B's 6-letter word, she tends to say things like "very bad luck". Has nobody told her how the game works? She doesn't seem to be aware that it doesn't make any difference at all whether or not player B's 6-letter offering was allowed.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Wil, I'm sure that after doing 1000+ shows over 16 years, Susie is well aware of the rules of Countdown. The example you give is just an instance of her being gentle with contestants about disallowed words - IMHO that is one area (one of the few!) where Alison noticeably falls down in comparison; she is a touch abrupt at times: "Nope it's not there" "That's not a word I'm afraid".

Re Susie - FANTASTIC Scottish accent today. I liked Alison's little bit of acting in the round where she got LAZINESS a few weeks ago, and I was going to say that I didn't think Susie would ever do anything like that... but she's proved me wrong!