New Host

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: New Host

Post by Jon Corby »

Sorry, in my thirst for pictures of Rachel I forgot to say "well done, this is absolutely brilliant news"

:D :D :D
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Is she fit?????

Nicely done Damien, now you just need David Mitchell or Michael Macintyre in DC and youve got the best line up on TV!
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Jon Corby wrote:Where are the pictures of Rachel? Image
Bearing in mind this is the Sun, perhaps it's as well they don't have any archive photos? ;)
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:As for Rachel: "There’s only one cool maths job around..." - so true.
But since Marcus du Sautoy isn't going to be retiring any time soon, she'll have to settle for doing Countdown instead.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Jennifer Turner wrote:
Junaid Mubeen wrote:As for Rachel: "There’s only one cool maths job around..." - so true.
But since Marcus du Sautoy isn't going to be retiring any time soon, she'll have to settle for doing Countdown instead.
Hehe, when I heard it was going to be a blonde bombshell from Oxford I could only think of du Sautoy, but thankfully not.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Can I just say that this was an absolute masterstroke on behalf of the production team as well:
"She was tested on her maths skills and abilities in front of the camera before being offered the part."
The Sun is so useful.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jon Corby wrote:
Where are the pictures of Rachel? Image
:lol:

Congratulations to Rachel Riley and I look forward to seeing her in action as the new Carol in the next series :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Can't wait to meet them!
Paul Gallen

Post by Paul Gallen »

Just heard the news- really happy that Stelling is doing it over Armstrong. He is excellent on Gilette Soccer Saturday and with that being his only TV work at the moment, Stelling will be a much more permanent fixture than Lynam and O Connor. I remember an interview with Stelling in Fourtfourtwo magazine and he said that he revised league tables, results and loads of stats for hours every day for each Saturday afternoon so he should definitely understand the programme's appeal and the mindsets of the contestants. Great choice, well done Damian.

Paul
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

This is excellent news! :D The best thing about Soccer Saturday is Jeff. How long before he gets James Brown dancing on his desk...

... or maybe Rachel :mrgreen:
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I myself, still would've preferred Armstong over Sterling, but Jeff might actually do a good job, so I am actually curious now to see how he does.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Awesome news, can't wait for the c of c and the new series after! :D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I am so happy!

I'm happy for the Countdown crew and I must admit, Jeff Stelling grew on me.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Hopefully this means Chris Kamara in the DC.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

"Unbelievable Jeff - there's a 9!"
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:"Unbelievable Jeff - there's a 9!"
Hahaha, yes :D
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Unbelievable. Jeff! (On preview Dan just beat me to that one. Would be amazing to have Kamara in DC :D )

Great choice in my book, looking forward to seeing him settle in. Rachel seems lovely too, I'm sure they'll both take to it very quickly.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Jeff and Rachel both look like appropriate and good choices. :)

A wee-bitty safe and predictable IMO though - old pro and young totty. :twisted: You know, like Des and Mel, etc... Should've got Richard and Judy - to buck the trend. ;)

I've only ever read about Jeff before in the Radio Times and the article was really interesting, but I've never seen him in action. I just hope that sport related talk isn't introduced in to the show too much... :|

I'm sure before long they'll have settled right in and their company will be enjoyed by us all. :)
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Hmm, all very interesting, but it will take me a while to get used to Jeff I think, so at present I don't share the enthusiasm of most posters (sorry, Damian). As I'm not a fan of Sky Sports, I don't really know much about him, but I will certainly be tuning in and giving him a try. As for Rachel, she is obviously very easy on the eye and I'm sure she will have the personality to carry it off. Hope it goes well, I really want to like it!!
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

I think Jeff Stelling is an excellent choice.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

If Jeff can just make toning down a habit, then he would be a great host.

But, I just might send the very first e-mail of Series 60 and congratulate Jeff and Rachel on getting the job!
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Mike Brown wrote:Hmm, all very interesting, but it will take me a while to get used to Jeff I think, so at present I don't share the enthusiasm of most posters (sorry, Damian). As I'm not a fan of Sky Sports, I don't really know much about him, but I will certainly be tuning in and giving him a try. As for Rachel, she is obviously very easy on the eye and I'm sure she will have the personality to carry it off. Hope it goes well, I really want to like it!!

Don't be sorry Mike. If you don't know much about him, its natural that you can't have an over-enthusiastic opinion.

That said, we know plenty about him and i personally think he'll be the best presenter we've ever had.
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

I agree with the general consensus that Jeff Stelling would be a good host. I've only ever seen him a couple of times on Sky Sports but he seems to fit the criteria. I wonder if there'll be a revamp of the set to launch the new era as well. :?:
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Steven Briers wrote:I agree with the general consensus that Jeff Stelling would be a good host. I've only ever seen him a couple of times on Sky Sports but he seems to fit the criteria. I wonder if there'll be a revamp of the set to launch the new era as well. :?:
Yes, brand new set. New chairs, new cue cards, new titles, new potatoes.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Damian E wrote:That said, we know plenty about him and i personally think he'll be the best presenter we've ever had.
I'm sure you do know plenty about him and I certainly respect your ability to choose someone good! (and I presume you had quite a say in the proceedings). Best presenter ever? That's quite a statement. I think Richard will always be so synonymous to me (and lots of others) with Countdown that I don't think I will ever quite think that, but it's certainly very encouraging to hear you say it.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Damian E wrote:Yes, brand new set. New chairs, new cue cards, new titles, new potatoes.
New letters and numbers? If so, maybe you could sell off the old ones for charity? I'd give you a few quid for one and I'm sure Charlie would pay at least a pony for the letter K. :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Mike Brown wrote:
Damian E wrote:That said, we know plenty about him and i personally think he'll be the best presenter we've ever had.
I'm sure you do know plenty about him and I certainly respect your ability to choose someone good! (and I presume you had quite a say in the proceedings). Best presenter ever? That's quite a statement. I think Richard will always be so synonymous to me (and lots of others) with Countdown that I don't think I will ever quite think that, but it's certainly very encouraging to hear you say it.
I agree with you Mike, Richard was, and will always be the best presenter ever.

I liked Richard's puns and his dress sense, especially when he ended up in the news for when he wore the tie with COUNTDOWN on it and the mike covered up the O of COUNT :D
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Will this feud between Mike and Damian never end?

:)
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Jon Corby wrote:Will this feud between Mike and Damian never end?

:)

No feud. I think Mike is entitled to his opinion. Can't say the same for bowl ass though, who is turning into a first-class turkey.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Damian E wrote:No feud. I think Mike is entitled to his opinion. Can't say the same for bowl ass though, who is turning into a first-class turkey.
Bah, it was only really for Julian's benefit anyway, and he's not here anymore (although he might still lurk...)

Since you mention Joseph though, is the rumour true that he's going to be invited back on the show for a second go?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Jon Corby wrote:
Damian E wrote:No feud. I think Mike is entitled to his opinion. Can't say the same for bowl ass though, who is turning into a first-class turkey.
Bah, it was only really for Julian's benefit anyway, and he's not here anymore (although he might still lurk...)

Since you mention Joseph though, is the rumour true that he's going to be invited back on the show for a second go?
Has he been on before? I don't remember it.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Mike Brown wrote:

Sure, i get what you are saying Mike, but how does synonymy relate to being a better presenter?

And bear in mind, time marches on. The world turns. How many people under 25 have ever heard of Esther Rantzen, Timmy Mallet, Kilroy-Silk and some crooner from a 70's band called Dollar? Nostalgia sometimes clouds reality. That's my take on it anyway.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Damian E wrote:Sure, i get what you are saying Mike, but how does synonymy relate to being a better presenter?

And bear in mind, time marches on. The world turns. How many people under 25 have ever heard of Esther Rantzen, Timmy Mallet, Kilroy-Silk and some crooner from a 70's band called Dollar? Nostalgia sometimes clouds reality. That's my take on it anyway.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, Damian, I'm just getting old! :(
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Damian E wrote:How many people under 25 have ever heard of Esther Rantzen, Timmy Mallet, Kilroy-Silk and some crooner from a 70's band called Dollar?
Mentioning Dollar, I once wrote a letter to "Jim'll Fix It" asking to kiss Thereza Bazar (spelling?) from Dollar. I'm guessing I would have been about 6 or 7, and her mid-20s. :shock:
John Bradley

Post by John Bradley »

Not so enthusiastic but I will hold fire until January.
To me, shows a lack of ambition for the show - someone who'll do it and who's cheap - keep our heads down and get on with it.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

I once wrote asking for a school coat. And no i am not kidding.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

John Bradley wrote:Not so enthusiastic but I will hold fire until January.
To me, shows a lack of ambition for the show - someone who'll do it and who's cheap - keep our heads down and get on with it.
Is this in relation to Jeff or Rachel, or both?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

So you'll hold fire until January, but only after you've already fired?

Hmm. Leave it with me.

Okay, you think its cheap. Let's pretend you have £50m to spend for a year. Tell me who you'd choose.
Last edited by Damian E on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bradley

Post by John Bradley »

Jon Corby wrote:
Is this in relation to Jeff or Rachel, or both?
I suppose both - but really Jeff. Rachel less so as it mirrors Carol's story. I can always watch with the sound down! As I say, will hold fire 'til Jan.
John Bradley

Post by John Bradley »

Damian E wrote:

Hmm. Leave it with me.

Okay, you think its cheap. Let's pretend you have £50m to spend for a year. Tell me who you'd choose.
Well I'm sure there will be some saving in salaries?!?!? Just initial thoughts - for £50m a year I'll do it.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

John Bradley wrote:
Damian E wrote:

Hmm. Leave it with me.

Well I'm sure there will be some saving in salaries?!?!? Just initial thoughts - for £50m a year I'll do it.
Terrible answer to a ridiculous post.
John Bradley

Post by John Bradley »

Well I'm sure there will be some saving in salaries?!?!? Just initial thoughts - for £50m a year I'll do it.[/quote]

Terrible answer to a ridiculous post.[/quote]

Thank you.
Yes, best not to have an opinion.
Stephen Fry.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

John Bradley wrote:Well I'm sure there will be some saving in salaries?!?!? Just initial thoughts - for £50m a year I'll do it.
Terrible answer to a ridiculous post.[/quote]

Thank you.
Stephen Fry.[/quote]

No sure, you've given an opinion, albeit very cloudy. Negative comments first, but then you say you'll wait until January. Thats very civil of you, giving them at least 1 minute of airtime. Then you say both appointments are cheap. And in answer to my question of who you would get for £50m, you say you'd do it, then as an afterthought, Stephen Fry.

So what about the numbers job?
John Bradley

Post by John Bradley »

Damian E wrote:
John Bradley wrote:Well I'm sure there will be some saving in salaries?!?!? Just initial thoughts - for £50m a year I'll do it.
Terrible answer to a ridiculous post.
Thank you.
Stephen Fry.[/quote]

No sure, you've given an opinion, albeit very cloudy. Negative comments first, but then you say you'll wait until January. Thats very civil of you, giving them at least 1 minute of airtime. Then you say both appointments are cheap. And in answer to my question of who you would get for £50m, you say you'd do it, then as an afterthought, Stephen Fry.

So what about the numbers job?[/quote]

So this is amusing.
Not sure it can be anything but cloudy as I have yet to see them perform. It's not a negative comment on purpose, it was my inital reaction. Fry wasn't an after thought, it was an attempt at comedy.
Numbers job completely different - she has a great story - I even read the Daily Mail, the DAILY MAIL story.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

I really should know better.
John Bradley

Post by John Bradley »

Damian E wrote:I really should know better.
Amusing though.
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

I think the choice of Jeff Stelling is a brilliantly imaginative.

The guy is just so unaffected and demonstrative that he will bring a very welcome new element to the show.

I have hated the Deso run, with his fumbling and mumbling, but I'm really looking forward to Stelling - I'm in the audience a fortnight on Monday, so I'll get an early insight.
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

harry wrote: I'm in the audience a fortnight on Monday, so I'll get an early insight.
Then You'll be watching me in action against the worryingly good Peter Davies :) Make sure you come and say hi before/after, it's always nice to meet people who are otherwise virtual apparitions.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Charlie Reams wrote:
harry wrote: I'm in the audience a fortnight on Monday, so I'll get an early insight.
Then You'll be watching me in action against the worryingly good Peter Davies :) Make sure you come and say hi before/after, it's always nice to meet people who are otherwise virtual apparitions.
I'll be there as well, probably in the audience :D
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

So you told The Sun, and waited long enough for them to write an article on it before telling us. How upsetting. I might cry.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

I look forward to seeing the new Countdown and take this opportunity to wish all staff a successful continuation.

Obviously the main host's first name is legendary, and our new co-host hails from a superb part of the country! What more could we want! :)

Jeff
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Awesome news. Will bea great host.

I AM EXCITED :D
Joe Denniss
Rookie

Post by Joe Denniss »

There's a funny Youtube video of Jeff Stelling in action on Sky Sports...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFZnHEmVWKc

Possible a little strange too...
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
So you told The Sun, and waited long enough for them to write an article on it before telling us. How upsetting. I might cry.
I'd ask for an explanation of the above, but cannot risk being bored to death by your shite.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Joe Denniss wrote:There's a funny Youtube video of Jeff Stelling in action on Sky Sports...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFZnHEmVWKc

Possible a little strange too...
I posted these links earlier in the thread but fear they have been drowned out so in case you missed them, here's Jeff Stelling at his supreme best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdBuDSEokz0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBXjkTwp-G8
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

In the CofC and in Series 60, i wonder how many people will ask for a consonant or a vowel from carol rather than from rachel
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Damian E wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
I'd ask for an explanation of the above, but cannot risk being bored to death by your shite.
Your own shite doesn't seem to bore you to death.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I haven't a clue who either of them are, so can't really comment on whether I think they'll do a good job. I'll have to wait and see.
I was rather disappointed that Alexander Armstrong pulled out, but such is life.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I had never seen Jeff Stelling so I have now watched him on YouTube.
He is a bit "in your face" (I think that's the expression) isn't he?
I hope he doesn't rant on Countdown.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ralph wrote:I had never seen Jeff Stelling so I have now watched him on YouTube.
He is a bit "in your face" (I think that's the expression) isn't he?
I hope he doesn't rant on Countdown.
Those clips are great precisely because he's normally so calm and professional even when relaying live results from about 100 games at once.