What would be in your Countdown ad?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

What would be in your Countdown ad?

Post by Michael Wallace »

Inspired by the annoying ads thread, I started to wonder if c4cers could come up with a decent advert for Countdown. The Countdown clock ticking down whilst Rachel Riley mud-wrestles with...a computer generate Rachel Riley? A 24-style multi-screen excitement-fest? Let's have your ideas, the more detail the better, and see if any of them get pinched by C4 like all our other suggestions for the show.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: What would be in your Countdown ad?

Post by Mark James »

I think it depends who you're trying to attract. Different kinds of ads work on different kinds of people. The kind of ads that work on me are straightforward, ads that tell you what the product does, how much its gonna cost and where you can get said product. I think an ad for countdown that could work on me, if I had never seen the show before, would be to show a highlights package like they do at the end of a series, clips where I can pretty much get a gist of what you have to do, interspersed with some of the banter that goes on and plenty of shots of Rachel obviously. Then, at the end, tell me when its on and where and I'll tune in.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I'm thinking already that c4c should physically make an ad.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I'm thinking already that c4c should physically make an ad.
Totally. Someone should get some good footage from CoNot for it. I want explosions.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Totally. Someone should get some good footage from CoNot for it. I want explosions.
jokrollo can upload it to his channel.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Mark James wrote: The kind of ads that work on me are straightforward, ads that tell you what the product does, how much its gonna cost and where you can get said product.
Oh man, you would love it over here.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Mark James wrote: The kind of ads that work on me are straightforward, ads that tell you what the product does, how much its gonna cost and where you can get said product.
Where's here? The states?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Mark James wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Where's here? The states?
Yep. Every advert is of that form. The only exceptions are occasional and blatant attempts to go viral, usually with a nonsensical catchphrase.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Charlie Reams wrote:
I don't think I would like it though to be honest. Not because of the ads themselves, more the sheer volume of them. I've not been to the states but in Canada it seems to be ads every ten minutes or so. I assume its the same there. I really think we're blessed with regards tv here. I know, for instance, Mythbusters is cut by five to seven minutes in America due to adverts. Also when I say an ad will work on me, it doesn't necessarily mean I like the ad. I loved the ad for the car where all the pieces of the car linked together in a dominoes/mousetrap way but I couldn't tell you what make of car it advertised. The last product I can remember buying that I can attribute to an advert was Art Academy on the DS. It showed someone using it, the kinds of things you could do with it and had the price in the bottom corner of the screen. It all sounded reasonable to me. I bought it a few days later and have probably used it about three times. Oh well.
John Gillies
Acolyte

Post by John Gillies »

I'm one of the sad individuals who visited comparethemeerkat.com :oops: :oops: :oops:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Mark James wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
I don't think I would like it though to be honest.
Me neither, the dole money is much less generous.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I'd probably have a montage of great contestants and their nine-letter words.

I remember an advert for Countdown shown during Series 54. It was a dark affair of a montage of Conor Travers with a dodgy voice, "Can anyone stop 14-year-old Conor Travers?"
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Finally got round to uploading this.