I'm back...

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

I'm back...

Post by Charlie Reams »

...from Leeds, having had a really enjoyable few days at Countdown HQ. Thanks to Damian and the rest of the backstage team for all their hard work while I sat around playing a game, and Jono (my mascot and masseur) for his support. I'll be on your screens on Wednesday 15 October. I won't say anything more for fear of spoiling something.

(And yes, I booked the hotel in advance so you can't read anything into my 3-day absence.)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Re: I'm back...

Post by Jason Larsen »

Charlie, you were a contestant on Countdown! That's great!

How is Des doing, and what was it like to meet him in person?

It sounds like he is still remaining happy and actually not thinking about his departure from the show very much.

I hope he stays that way!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:...while I sat around playing a game...
One hopes this isn't a spoiler. ;)

Anyways, good retroactive luck Mr. Reams- I wondered why I was experiencing Charlie/Jono withdrawl symptoms. ;)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:...while I sat around playing a game...
One hopes this isn't a spoiler. ;)
I meant the game of Countdown, but no doubt the Over-Analysis Police (led by Chief Inspector Gevin) will be on the scene any second.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Blimey, you kept that quiet! I'm sure you did brilliantly and we'll be enjoying some hot Reams action in the quarter-finals (at least). Any saucy behind-the-scenes gossip you can share with us?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

jimbentley wrote:Any saucy behind-the-scenes gossip you can share with us?
Does it count as gossip that the behind-the-scenes team are absolutely amazing?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Ah, good to see you've finally given it a crack. Good luck (that's for the finals, I reckon you'll have done well. Hopefully I haven't retroactively jinxed it)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:I meant the game of Countdown, but no doubt the Over-Analysis Police (led by Chief Inspector Gevin) will be on the scene any second.
You've given tons away, namely that you win your first game with a solid enough 98, but slip to 83 in your second game but still win anyway and then lose your third game with 75 points.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

How are you now, Charlie?
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Well done you. I hope you did well, and who knows - I might see you in the finals (gulp!!)
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

DebbiF wrote:Well done you. I hope you did well, and who knows - I might see you in the finals (gulp!!)
Now that *IS* a spoiler as I still haven't watched Thursdays and Fridays shows (I come home too late from school and freeview is knackered so I have to watch on 4oD and I've not had time/it's been broken).
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Not really a spoiler as such. She never actually specified she would be in the finals, just that Charlie may appear in the finals and Debbi may see him, in person or otherwise. As for the gulp I'm sure that was just keyboard Tourette's. Well in Charlie boy. Glad you finally sent off the application :)
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Apologies, but it certainly wasn't intended as a spoiler. for one thing i posted it after the broadcast date.
I have no way of knowing if me or Charlie will make it to the finals, and the gulp was simply a reference to the fact that if we do meet I will have my work cut out.
Sorry if I ruined anything for you.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Good man, Charlie. I am really looking forward to seeing you on the telly; I will also be gunning for you - armchair hero that I am. I suspect you did very well indeed but if you didn't I can understand since it's an entirely different kettle of fish while playing in studio conditions (I don't really think you will have let this affect you though).
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Great news, Charlie! I look forward to watching you. Hope you manage at least three wins*, then I'll be able to watch you as a programme is transmitted, rather then have to rely on repeats or 4oD.

Best of luck anyway, though that's a bit late now.

* later edit. In fact, I hope you manage eight wins. And then more when the finals come around.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Well, I'd hoped for more sauce, to be honest, maybe a wardrobe malfunction or two, or an unexpectedly ribald anecdote from Des about an encounter with a transsexual at Charing Cross station.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

DebbiF wrote:Apologies, but it certainly wasn't intended as a spoiler. for one thing i posted it after the broadcast date.
I have no way of knowing if me or Charlie will make it to the finals, and the gulp was simply a reference to the fact that if we do meet I will have my work cut out.
I know it wasn't intended as a spoiler - don't worry! It might have given away the fact that you won on Thursday and Friday but personally I'm not bothered - I'll still watch it on 4oD and see what I get/miss.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

jimbentley wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Well, I'd hoped for more sauce, to be honest, maybe a wardrobe malfunction or two, or an unexpectedly ribald anecdote from Des about an encounter with a transsexual at Charing Cross station.
Wrong Des, surely?

Nice one Soo, hope it all went well.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Look forward to watching you on the 15th October Charlie. Hope you have become an Octochamp :).

PS. In case you haven't seen his posts, Jason Larsen is just dying to know how you are now.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

It's because I'm just curious to know the process of a Countdown taping from beginning to end, Joseph.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jason Larsen wrote:It's because I'm just curious to know the process of a Countdown taping from beginning to end, Joseph.
However though, if you actually read Charlie's post, he says at the end:
Charlie Reams wrote:I won't say anything more for fear of spoiling something
so maybe Charlie ain't going to answer your question until after the 15th October, just incase it gives something away, but I could very easily be wrong.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I bet he will answer my question without giving anything away.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jason Larsen wrote:I bet he will answer my question without giving anything away.
You could be right. Also though there could be a possibility that you are on Charlie's ignore list, so he would never see your posts (unless he clicked to view the post).
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:It's because I'm just curious to know the process of a Countdown taping from beginning to end, Joseph.
Buy the fabulous book called "Spreading the Word" which would satisfy those needs, Jason.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

DebbiF wrote:Apologies, but it certainly wasn't intended as a spoiler. for one thing i posted it after the broadcast date.
Don't worry Debbi, you haven't ruined anything, I'd already worked out that you were catching Mr.Mackenzie up and I'm sure others have too. I hope you make it to the finals. If the standard of this series doesn't improve then I'm sure you will.

Looking forward to watching you Charlie, hope you've done well, I'm sure you will have.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Buy the fabulous book called "Spreading the Word" which would satisfy those needs, Jason.
Whilst StW is undoubtedly the best option you could also buy Mark Tournoff's book Crucial, or read any of the experiences written by former contestants- including more than one poster in this thread- on Mike's site- http://www.thecountdownpage.com
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Joseph, I hope I am not on Charlie's ignore list!

Also, Kirk, that sounds like a very interesting book and it sounds real. I don't think I would be able to buy it here in the US, though.
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

I got my copy of StW on Amazon.co.uk and I'm sure they deliver to the US so you could probably get a copy there Jason.

Well done Charlie for getting on the show, looking forward to your game on the 15th Oct! :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Stewart Scott wrote:I got my copy of StW on Amazon.co.uk and I'm sure they deliver to the US so you could probably get a copy there Jason.
There's also eBay too. Someone in the UK might ship the book out to the US, but Jason already knows this.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Goodness me a lot's happened in the month or so I've been away - nice one Charlie, and I hope it went really well. They must have seriously fast-tracked your application, it was only at the start of July that you sent the form in wasn't it? Still it's good that you got chance to play in Carol's last series. Looking forward to seeing your shows (am sure there'll be more than one)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Julian, I sent you a PM a long time ago!

What was it like for you to meet Richard Whiteley in person?
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

It was great Jason - as many other contestants (including Charlie now) have said, the whole recording experience was/is fantastic. I haven't been so keen on the attention that has come with it since, but the actual filming and competing and meeting everyone was truly memorable.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'll never forget Richard Whiteley's warmth!
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Stewart Scott wrote:I got my copy of StW on Amazon.co.uk and I'm sure they deliver to the US so you could probably get a copy there Jason.
Or if you PM Mark Tournoff, maybe he can post a signed copy to you?