Nick Hewer, YOU'RE HIRED!!!

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Re: Nick Hewer, YOU'RE HIRED!!!

Post by Jason Larsen »

I can't watch it on the BBC Iplayer since I'm in the U.S. but I've seen past episodes with him. He's funny.
Jim Treloar
Rookie

Post by Jim Treloar »

I was at his first recording on Sunday, all I will say is that he's no Jeff Stelling - I'll be interested to hear what board members here have to say, transmissions on January 9th and 10th.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Oh, he's confirmed then?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ian Volante wrote:Oh, he's confirmed then?
He was confirmed 2-3 weeks ago :!:

Have you been living in a cave or something, Ian :?:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

James Robinson wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Oh, he's confirmed then?
He was confirmed 2-3 weeks ago :!:

Have you been living in a cave or something, Ian :?:
Is that so unusual? Not heard anything in the media, and obviously missed the relevant bit of this thread!

Pah, I'm off to buy some more moss.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

James Robinson wrote:Just read that our new host will be appearing as a guest panellist on Have I Got News For You on December 16th, the same day as Jeff's last show
On the basis of tonight's performance I think he would fit in very well on C4C. Very much looking forward to finding out if it's him or Countdown that changes character in the New Year.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

David Williams wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Just read that our new host will be appearing as a guest panellist on Have I Got News For You on December 16th, the same day as Jeff's last show
On the basis of tonight's performance I think he would fit in very well on C4C. Very much looking forward to finding out if it's him or Countdown that changes character in the New Year.
Couldn't disagree more I'm afraid. I though Nick was awful. But on the other hand that's the most advertising for Countdown since Conor Travers!
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
David Williams wrote:
Couldn't disagree more I'm afraid. I though Nick was awful.
Now can you watch it again without the Tory bias, and give us your true opinion.

I thought Nick was fantastic, and hopefully he'll bring some of that wit to Countdown in 3 weeks time. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

I was a bit disappointed to see him going along with all the sneering that Countdown always gets from HIGNFY. Perhaps we need to get Hislop or Merton in Dictionary Corner to help them see the light.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

James Robinson wrote:ME ON POINTLESS AGAIN!! POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Is it still hanging fire, James, or did I miss it?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
James Robinson wrote:ME ON POINTLESS AGAIN!! POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Is it still hanging fire, James, or did I miss it?
Still hanging fire, I believe it will now be in the New Year, but still no date yet. :(
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

James Robinson wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:
David Williams wrote: On the basis of tonight's performance I think he would fit in very well on C4C. Very much looking forward to finding out if it's him or Countdown that changes character in the New Year.
Couldn't disagree more I'm afraid. I though Nick was awful.
Now can you watch it again without the Tory bias, and give us your true opinion.

I thought Nick was fantastic, and hopefully he'll bring some of that wit to Countdown in 3 weeks time. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
OK, just because Alan Sugar is a lord on behalf of the Labour party does not mean I have any opinion on his "assistants". However I did watch it again. I still didn't like him. I thought he didn't smile very much and I don't see him having a relationship with Rachel. And when I say "relationship", all you perverts can get that thought out of your head right now.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

I'm going to wait to judge Nick H as host until he's had a while to settle in. Rachel was very stiff in her first few weeks, but look at her now. Nick H is very deadpan even when he's in the middle of a deliberately silly programme like Would I Lie To You, but if you saw that you know he must have a sense of humour even if he doesn't smile much (or at all). I think he might be very good, in time, though I would want him to be gentle with contestants. I still haven't got used to Jeremy Paxman as host of University Challenge, having enjoyed the style of Bamber Gascoigne - I wouldn't like seeing Countdown go the same way.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:I was a bit disappointed to see him going along with all the sneering that Countdown always gets from HIGNFY. Perhaps we need to get Hislop or Merton in Dictionary Corner to help them see the light.
Agreed. I said before that I'd reserve judgement on him until I see his first episode but the signs aren't good.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
David Williams wrote:
Couldn't disagree more I'm afraid. I though Nick was awful. But on the other hand that's the most advertising for Countdown since Conor Travers!
Just in case I've not made myself clear, fitting in very well on C4C is not necessarily a quality that suggests one would be a Countdown host in the mould we have become accustomed to.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Judging by Nick's performances on WILTY? and HIGNFY, he appears to be clever, witty, insightful and drole. Certainly a welcome change from the smarmy cheesiness of Jeff Stelling.

Nick might turn out to be as good a host as Des Lynam, who IMHO is the best host so far in the post Richard Whiteley era.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

The arms folded and the same twattish face = not good news.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:The arms folded and the same twattish face = not good news.
Did you expect him to have reconstructive surgery or something?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The only problem I have is that he doesn't repeat the teatime teaser word or clue.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

So what's the actual consensus on him so far?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Craig Beevers wrote:So what's the actual consensus on him so far?
The opposite to what you think.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Craig Beevers wrote:So what's the actual consensus on him so far?
I think I get the feeling that I am the only one who actually doesn't like him.
But I don't like Dave Spikey either.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

I don't think he has settled down yet. The mentor from the Apprentice still shows through, he is rather confrontational and very direct with the candidates (even more so with personable champions), which I think would make me uncomfortable. But he is not so terrible that he is dragging the game down, nor so marvellous that we rejoice to see the back of Jeff. Better than Des O (but who wouldn't be).
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

I think Nick is coming along nicely - yes - I like him. As for his hobby of keeping tractors, it does make me smile. I wonder if he has been to the Tolson Museum in Huddersfield - home of the famous David Brown tractors.