Jeremy Beadle

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Jeremy Beadle

Post by Charlie Reams »

Another of the Countdown faithful has made their last appearance - Jeremy Beadle has passed away at the untimely age of 59. I was never a big fan but I certainly preferred his unassuming if unamusing antics to... well, let's not make it negative shall we? R.I.P. Jeremy.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Re: Jeremy Beadle

Post by JimBentley »

I think it's a great shame. I was never really a fan of 'Game For A Laugh' or 'Beadle's About' or 'You've Been Framed' or any of that shit, but I liked him because of "Win Beadle's Money" (being on Channel 5, it had fairly low production values, but confounded this by being a fucking good show). Also, I liked his funny hand. R.I.P., Mr. Beadle.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Sad news indeed. Jeremy Beadle used to be a relatively near neighbour of my mother, and she often talked about him, and things he did for the community. Garry Glitter was another near neighbour, but for some reason she suddenly stopped talking about him.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I'm a bit young to remember his earlier stuff but when I were a wee lad we watched YBF religiously every Saturday and I thought he was a top bloke. Also the man looks well like my step-dad. Its uncanny. If I were technologically adept I'd insert 2 pictures for comparison, but I can't seem to find a suitable picture in Clip Art so I'll leave it be. Anyway he will be sorely missed.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

It would be pretty weird if there were a clip art picture of your step-dad.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

I actually warmed to Jeremy Beadle the older he got and thought he was a good guest on Countdown.
THE SUN newspaper has given us many memorable headlines over the years, being both funny and clever, but to show a picture of a man who has died prematurely with a jokey picture of him dressed in a policeman's outfit with the words 'Beadle's Not About' was extremely tasteless, unfunny, and probably upsetting to his relatives. Does anyone else agree or am I being over-sensitive?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I dunno, I'm sure JB himself would've seen the funny side, even though it's not a very good joke. It's in better taste than "GOTCHA!" anyway.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I agree that the headline is a cruel pun. I haven't seen the picture but I'm sure Beadle would want to be remembered for making us laugh as well as all his great charity work, so you can't really avoid those kind of pictures I guess. I wonder do celebs make arrangements as to what pictures the papers show when they die?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Chris Corby wrote:I actually warmed to Jeremy Beadle the older he got and thought he was a good guest on Countdown.
THE SUN newspaper has given us many memorable headlines over the years, being both funny and clever, but to show a picture of a man who has died prematurely with a jokey picture of him dressed in a policeman's outfit with the words 'Beadle's Not About' was extremely tasteless, unfunny, and probably upsetting to his relatives. Does anyone else agree or am I being over-sensitive?
I was about to agree with this, and then I noticed who posted it. But what the hell, I'll agree anyway.

I also thought Beadle was a top bloke. I remember seeing some programme ages ago (can't remember what it was called) but it basically involved two celebrities going off to live with different families for a week or so. Beadle was featured on one episode, along with Frank Bruno. I won't go into details, but Beadle came across as an absolutely top bloke, while Frank Bruno was a complete and utter c**t. I think what I'm basically getting at, is that it should be Frank Bruno who died. I think.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I enjoyed beadles about but there are quite a few people that I would find funnier than him IMO.
Mark Tournoff
Series 52 Champion

Post by Mark Tournoff »

Hi everyone,

I was sorry to hear the news. I didn't know much about him beforehand, but Jeremy was in Dictionary Corner for my first 5 games. He talked to the contestants more than most of the celebrities. He was a very helpful, warm and considerate guy, and made a real effort to draw attention to my novel. He had also put a lot of effort into researching little-known facts about Richard for his pre-break stint, and these were geniunely interesting. Just 3 years on and they're both gone at such a young age!

Mark