The Charlies 2010 (THE RESULTS)

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

The Charlies 2010 (THE RESULTS)

Post by Joseph Krol »

Thank you, one and all, for bothering to read the results of the Charlies 2010, which I am very grateful about. You have been, literally, voting in your tens which means in some cases there was a tie. The result of these awards is decided by my independent adjudicator (my sister Sophie). And if you want to know the exact results, just give me a PM and I’ll send them to you.

Let’s get things rolling, by seeing who has been voted the best non-finalist (contestant who didn’t reach the QFs) of 2010. And that goes to… James Rawson, who I’m sure you’ll agree deserved to have a shot at being a series champ. Runner up is Richard Harris.

Next comes the best word by a contestant, which was a very close-fought contest, with votes going to almost all the nominees. But eventually the winner surfaced… as Eoin Monaghan’s ANORTHITE, which I’d never heard of and I’m sure only the hardcore Apterites will have played enough to see that come up. Second place went to Jack Hurst’s NARIYALS, which although is only an 8, was done under immense pressure and came from an extremely unpromising collection with 3 A’s. (This award was originally a draw, but my sister decided that ANORTHITE was better.)

Now, let’s see who’s done the best numbers solution by contestant in 2010. I’m pretty sure no-one would be annoyed (except the other nominees) that the winner is… Jack Hurst, for getting 278 from 100, 75, 25, 50, 9, and 8, by this method: (((100-8)*75)+50)/25, which was an extraordinary way to win a semi.

Moving on to the best conundrum solve by contestant, which had many worthy nominations, but the winner eventually surfaced as… Jack Hurst’s SPONDULIX (no, not his life savings), which you never see on apterous (or many other places, for that matter). Second place went to both Eoin Monaghan’s VOUCHSAFE and Nicki Sellars’ INAUGURAL.

Now, the awards that all the paedophiles have been waiting for… Rachel’s best outfit. The award does (unsurprisingly) go to Rachel Riley, but which outfit was it? It was the semi-revealing outfit she wore in the final, you know.

Now, the one all the sophisticated Rachel lovers have been waiting for… Rachel’s best numbers solve, which also goes to Rachel Riley for her finding of 299 from 100, 75, 25, 50, 9, 7, by doing (100*75)-(50/(9-7))/25. Amazing how all the best numbers solutions are 4 large.

Now for the funniest Jeff joke, which to me seemed oxymoronic, but let’s see which joke one anyway. It’s the Body Parts Poem (http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic. ... yes#p92159), which was rather entertaining. Thanks to Ryan T for typing it out.

The most entertaining DC guest was a bit of a landslide victory… for Tim Vine, possibly the most funny man ever to grace Dictionary Corner. I would never tire of hearing some of his stories.

Now, continuing with the DC theme, here’s the award no self-respecting celebrity wants to get…most annoying DC guest. And to me there was only really one person who could get it… John Gaunt. I’m sure you all feel that way about it too.

Now a slightly more awesome award to cheer you up, the best DC find of 2010. Two obscure nines were battling for the award (which conjures up images of a urine expert fighting a piece of melodic sheet music), UROLOGIST and QUODLIBET, and one comes out on top by a single vote – QUODLIBET. Well deserved, as I was wondering if OBLIQUED^ was valid (it isn’t) and there was in fact a nine.

Now one that had very few people who should have it, as Series 63 was such a high standard. But the worst miss by contestant must be identified, and it is identified as… Daniel Pati missing 912 when there was a 100, 9, 6 and 6 in the selection. It was also very funny as many people laughed.

Best conundrum scramble – only one word and everyone knows it… LARGEBAPS/GRASPABLE. Loved by Marcus Hares and loathed by Scott Gillies. Also loved by the press as I found at least three articles about it.

Now, onto the matter of best comeback. It goes to… Oliver Garner, for going from 26 points down to winning by 5 on a subsecond crucial conundrum. Television gold.

Now before the big awards, I would like to award a secret award, known only between myself and someone called HOMING NAAN OE. It is the award for the most awesome Apteforumite of the year. And it goes to James Robinson for his amazing contribution towards recaps and the stats he produces.

Now, time for the serious awards. They are COOOOOOOOL.

Best player of Series 62 (other than best player of 2010) goes to [insert drumroll] Oliver Garner. This award is more important than winning the CoC (if they decide to do another one), so if you are polishing the invisible award when they ask you to go to the studios tell them that you are busy.

Best player of Series 63 (other than best player of 2010) goes to [insert drumroll] Eoin Monaghan. This award is more important than winning the CoC (if they decide to do another one), so if you are polishing the invisible award when they ask you to go to the studios tell them that you are busy.

And the Charlie for the Best player of 2010. This is an amazing honour to get. This means that even if you are invited to a big party where they give out free money and you are staring lovingly at your invisible award you should continue staring. After all, you’ve already got SPONDULIX… yes, it’s Jack Hurst, the new awesomest Countdowner of the Year.

If you have any acceptance speeches, comments, feedback, death threats, etc., please leave them as a comment below this post.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Re: The Charlies 2010 (THE RESULTS)

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

This is really really cool Joseph and thanks for taking the time to do it. I'm glad I won 2 awards, which is quite surprising, but I'd definitely agree with every award.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Thanks Eoin. Just got told (thanks Marcus) that I had forgotten to post the winner of 'most likeable contestant' which was won by Marcus Hares.
Marcus Hares
Acolyte

Post by Marcus Hares »

Haha thanks Joseph - and to anyone who voted - much appreciated :)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Yes, very good job with this Joseph. Last two things hosted by minors turned out to be fails, so I'm glad you put in the effort with this :)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Can't believe Rachel's 4 large 299 won it. Those targets are easy if you learn the 298 and 302 rules. I found this far more impressive:

542 = ((75*4*9)+10)/5

The fact that it's a 1 large game and this method isn't that intuitive for a 1 large game is fantastic for me but the public has spoken.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Can't believe Rachel's 4 large 299 won it. Those targets are easy if you learn the 298 and 302 rules. I found this far more impressive:

542 = ((75*4*9)+10)/5

The fact that it's a 1 large game and this method isn't that intuitive for a 1 large game is fantastic for me but the public has spoken.
Wish I had been watching this series, thats a hell of a sexy method.

Cheers for the awards, well done for putting in all that effort with your various polling things.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

(Spotted inside the Little Chef at COLIN)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Glad no one here was responsible for that apostrophe.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

75 / 25 = 3
3 * 100 = 300
300 + 50 = 350
9 * 8 = 72
350 - 72 = 278

Prize please.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Can't believe Rachel's 4 large 299 won it. Those targets are easy if you learn the 298 and 302 rules. I found this far more impressive:

542 = ((75*4*9)+10)/5

Maybe some of the voters knew this one was given after the commercial break.