Richard Digance

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Re: Richard Digance

Post by Ben Hunter »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
D Eadie wrote:He actually does a poem later in the week which is pure class. Very clever bloke, writes everything himself and has achieved more in his lifetime than most will in 1000 years.

Sure, i understand he's not everybodies cup of tea, but i've yet to work with a DC guest who is.
I haven't watched any this week, but my general impression of him is that his poems are generally very bad but he is occasionally funny off the cuff. It's interesting what you say about what he's achieved - I'm genuinely interested to know what because I know very little about him outside of Countdown. Was he really a celebrity to begin with?
I've seen him on Comedy Central a couple of times. He's got his fingers in lots of pies, though I only know him as a comic / poet / musician.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I agree with you, Jon.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I haven't watched any this week, but my general impression of him is that his poems are generally very bad but he is occasionally funny off the cuff. It's interesting what you say about what he's achieved - I'm genuinely interested to know what because I know very little about him outside of Countdown. Was he really a celebrity to begin with?
My dad used to listen to him on the radio when I was a growing boy . . . so I've known about him for a looong time.

I enjoy both him and Pam Ayres, because even when their poems are really bad (like this Tuesday's N and O went to a party one) they cross over into so-bad-it's-good territory (like a great b-movie).

Must be the way they tell 'em.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Clearly Damien Eadie and I have different ways of looking at things - no prob there, but I must say I was pleased to see him mentioned in Richard Whiteley's book, 'Himoff!' - must be getting on a bit! :)
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I love a bit of Digance action and think that if anything, he isn't in DC enough. He was on for the series 50 finals and was totally excellent throughout - he's just a genuinely funny bloke, I reckon.
Jacob Sutton
Rookie

Post by Jacob Sutton »

I too think that Richard Digance is one of the better DC guests. I wasn't that fond of him when he was regularly on multiple times a series, but the long break and this week's performances have won me over. He's been quite funny and seems to have a pretty good rapport building with Jeff.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Well there you go. Some like, some don't, same for everyone who appears really.
I suppose its all down to matter of opinion. I actually think his poems are extremely clever and underrated.
John Stapleton next week.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

D Eadie wrote:I actually think his poems are extremely clever and underrated.
I loved the one on Wednesday about all the abbreviations! Maybe because I'm from the generation that came just before the text teens :)

D Eadie wrote:John Stapleton next week.
I'm also enjoying seeing several new people appearing, as then the best ones can be filtered in and perhaps we'll get to see them again :!:
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Does anyone remember when Richard Digance brought a singer on at the end of a show as a surprise? Was he ever heard of again and what was his name?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Oh yeah I remember. It was after his DC segment wherehe did a poem about himself, Carol, Susie and Des O at karaoke. The last rhyming couplet was "performer" and "Nessun Dorma", and then a tubby bloke came on and serenaded Carol with said song. She looked gone out IIRC.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm surprised it wasn't Des O'Connor himself!
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Derek Hazell wrote:Does anyone remember when Richard Digance brought a singer on at the end of a show as a surprise? Was he ever heard of again and what was his name?
He's coming to the theatre I usher at in December so if you can wait til then....I'll ask him! Remind me nearer the time!! Really looking forward to it - He gigged there last year too, and I took my parents along. I'll be taking a bigger crowd this year as he's very entertaining. And in answer to Gavin's query a few months ago - yes, he was well know before Countdown. I knew of him when I was at school. A stand-up comedian called John Mann used to (maybe still does) try to pass off Richard's poem about a stickleback as one of his own.
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

How do you know this guy, Sue, and how do you know Richard has read that poem recently?
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jason Larsen wrote:How do you know this guy, Sue, and how do you know Richard has read that poem recently?
I don't know him in the sense that he's an acquaintence of mine - but when the performers come to the theatre I'm working at for the night, I can normally get a quick chat with them. Dr Phil Hammond was there in February and I talked to him.

John Mann is a comedian I used to see regularly in the 90's and twice he performed The Stickle Back song, and it was my husband at the time, who recognised it as Richard's poem - yet the comedian prestented it as his own. I then heard Richard do it on Countdown years ago...way before your time, Jason.
Fool's top.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

It wasn't that long ago, Sue!
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Jason Larsen wrote:It wasn't that long ago, Sue!

Jason, why does this have to be such hard work? I was just saying I heard him doing Stickleback years ago just after hearing someone else trying to pass it off as his own. 10 years ago at least ; probably 15. So - really, Jason - quite long ago.

End of anecdote.
Fool's top.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I can't believe it.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Oh yeah I remember. It was after his DC segment wherehe did a poem about himself, Carol, Susie and Des O at karaoke. The last rhyming couplet was "performer" and "Nessun Dorma", and then a tubby bloke came on and serenaded Carol with said song. She looked gone out IIRC.
Oh, was it that recent? I was thinking it was back in the RW days, so thanks for the extra info.
Sue Sanders wrote:He's coming to the theatre I usher at in December so if you can wait til then....I'll ask him! Remind me nearer the time!!
Thanks.

Nice to hear a cheeky reference to him today from another DC guest too.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Matthew Green wrote:David Mitchell- my ideal choice
Say that again?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I remember when Richard Digance did the texting poem on Countdown a few months ago, and that was great!

Has texting while driving been banned in the UK?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Jason Larsen wrote:Has texting while driving been banned in the UK?
Yes - it's been a driving contravention (under "using a hand-held mobile phone") since 2003, but was made illegal (by the addition of penalty points and the fine being doubled to £60) in 2007.

Quite a lot of people know that, but many wilfully ignore it. Planks.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Richard would not be happy about that!