Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:How come this post sounds like you already have an idea of how America would do the theme tune, bearing in mind of course, that Countdown will NEVER appear in the US.
It does? How?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Corby wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:How come this post sounds like you already have an idea of how America would do the theme tune, bearing in mind of course, that Countdown will NEVER appear in the US.
It does? How?
Well IMO, going by Jason's previous posts/threads, some have focused on who would have the rights to Countdown and also what the format would be if Aericans had approved of a plot. Also when going on about the format, Jason even mentioned the Clock music.
I know you all got US Jeopardy in England for a while, but the Countdown clock music would not have been nearly as infectious as the Final Jeopardy music.
And now Jason has asked about the music used for them theme. To me that sounds like Jason has an idea for an American Countdown theme and even something to replace the Clock music.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Crumbs. Jason's posts are confusing enough without going to those sort of lengths to second-guess their intentions :?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Corby wrote:Crumbs. Jason's posts are confusing enough without going to those sort of lengths to second-guess their intentions :?
I know that, but if you try to guess what the reason for the post is, then you may not be confused by Jason's posts, because then you roughly will know what to expect.

I suppose it is making a mountain out of a molehill :lol:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Let me get this straight.

If you think back to the very first episode of Countdown, the original arrangement had a series of opening drum beatings for an introduction as well as a synthesizer. The closing theme had extended drum beatings and the synthesizer. In the current arrangement of the opening theme, there is a synthesizer and the main theme song would start after the synthesizer. In the closing theme, there is no synthesizer, the main theme song just starts playing.

By the way, I was thinking of Who Wants to be a Millionaire when I made that one post. I meant to imply that they didn't change a thing in Millionaire's theme tune when it came to the US, so why would they change the theme from Countdown if it moved here?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I wouldn't change a thing about Countdown if it moved here.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Greetings

Post by Richard Priest »

Hi everyone, just joined today, feel like I've joined a big happy family. Waiting to hear this week if I'm in the finals. Fingers crossed. Best wishes everyone.Richard.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Re: Greetings

Post by Martin Gardner »

Good luck to you for that, and well done on your performances. For obvious reasons, don't tell us if you make it or not or we'll be able to guess how many Octochamps there are in this series.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Hi Richard, good to have you here. I hope you make it back for the finals as your performances were excellent and very enjoyable to watch, and I was very surprised when you didn't make octochamp.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Paul Howe wrote:I hope you make it back for the finals as your performances were excellent and very enjoyable to watch, and I was very surprised when you didn't make octochamp.
Yes, I'll be gutted if you don't make it to the finals. A Priest / O'Donnell quarterfinal would be awesome viewing. Welcome to the group and apologies that it took me so long to approve your membership -- we're getting bombarded with spam users at the moment and spotting the legitimate ones is become increasing difficult.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Hi Richard, welcome to the site. I have to concur with Mr. Howe that I was very surprised to not see you become an octochamp. I really enjoyed your games and you had some staggering spots although I am getting a knot in my stomach at the prospect of your being number 8 seed :o
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I'm getting a bulge in my trousers at the prospect ;)
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Richpriest wrote:...feel like I've joined a big happy family.
You haven't read the forums yet, have you?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Jennifer Turner wrote:
Richpriest wrote:...feel like I've joined a big happy family.
You haven't read the forums yet, have you?
Let's hope he doesn't waste time reading your garbage eh?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Another welcome to the forum, Richard. I'm yet another person who could well have bet money on you becoming an octochamp.

You may not realise it, but since the start of Series 47, which is the first of the 15 round series in which contestants were allowed to continue until they'd won 8 rounds, you have the second highest points total of all those who managed 6 wins.

Good luck later this week. Hope to watch you in the final against David, assuming you miss the 5th and 8th seeding positions.
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

[Cut - serious spoiler]
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

KateHorton wrote:[Cut - serious spoiler]
Sorry to edit your post, Kate, but I'm pretty sure that the original post was a big spoiler. I'll read it more carefully and restore it if I'm wrong.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Women. :roll:
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Charlie Reams wrote:
Sorry to edit your post, Kate, but I'm pretty sure that the original post was a big spoiler. I'll read it more carefully and restore it if I'm wrong.

Was it details of the seedings? Please let me have it, I must know. I am going insane I tells ya, INSANE.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Richard.

Welcome to the forum.

You know, there's a welcome thread for you to introduce yourself, but that's ok. Welcome anyway.

You did a great job on Countdown by the way.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jason Larsen wrote:You know, there's a welcome thread for you to introduce yourself, but that's ok.
Good one Jason :lol: (you must've forgot about this :P).

Welcome to the forum Richard. Well done for getting a seed and good luck to you for when you record the finals later on this year :).
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you, Joseph.

Good luck in the near future, Richard.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Eh, it wasn't that bad. I'm pretty sure that what she said would not have lessened the enjoyment of anyone watching the show.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Richard Brittain wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Eh, it wasn't that bad. I'm pretty sure that what she said would not have lessened the enjoyment of anyone watching the show.
Martin already said in this thread that he didn't want to know anything that might reflect future results, and I agree.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Again, good luck, Richard.
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

Hi Charlie,
Can't see how confirming Richard is in the finals is a spoiler seeing as you are all wishing him good luck for the finals. Thought it was a nice touch letting him know via the forum. Or is that me being a dizzy woman, Corby?
Sorry. Wont happen again.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

KateHorton wrote:Can't see how confirming Richard is in the finals is a spoiler seeing as you are all wishing him good luck for the finals.
I'm assuming it is (or at least was) still theoretically possible, given the number of heats remaining, for him to be usurped. We now know that there isn't going to be a glut of octochamps before the end of the series.
KateHorton wrote:Sorry. Wont happen again
Lol, it just did :)
KateHorton wrote:Or is that me being a dizzy woman, Corby?
See above :D
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

KateHorton wrote: Sorry. Wont happen again.
Nonsense - don't ever apologise. Its marvellous that we've finally discovered what it is that annoys them.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Damian E wrote:Its marvellous that we've finally discovered what it is that annoys them.
Des saying "okey-doke" :x
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Corby wrote:
Damian E wrote:Its marvellous that we've finally discovered what it is that annoys them.
Des saying "okey-doke" :x
Or people saying "and a better one"
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

KateHorton wrote:Hi Charlie,
Can't see how confirming Richard is in the finals is a spoiler seeing as you are all wishing him good luck for the finals. Thought it was a nice touch letting him know via the forum. Or is that me being a dizzy woman, Corby?
Shakespearean humour at its best! You gave away exactly how many people will get 7 or more wins in the rest of the series. Knowing how many octochamps to expect is a pretty big spoiler with only a few weeks of the series to go, isn't it?
Damian Eadie wrote: Nonsense - don't ever apologise. Its marvellous that we've finally discovered what it is that annoys them.
Jason Larsen?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Shakespearean humour at its best! You gave away exactly how many people will get 7 or more wins in the rest of the series. Knowing how many octochamps to expect is a pretty big spoiler with only a few weeks of the series to go, isn't it?

I think to any normal person, it wouldn't really be a problem - but having said that i can see why it could possibly upset a few on here :mrgreen:
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I suspect Richard Priest's average score of 99.57 is the highest ever for someone who didn't become an Octochamp which makes him one of the best non-Octochamps ever. I think he'd be the favourite against one of the Octochamps unless he's #8 seed then he's playing DOD who averages 110 points a game.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Another sticky bun, anyone?
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Jason Larsen wrote:Hi, Richard.

Welcome to the forum.

You know, there's a welcome thread for you to introduce yourself, but that's ok. Welcome anyway.

You did a great job on Countdown by the way.
Hi Jason, wasn't aware of the thread. That's typical of me to jump in without looking. Never mind. Where do I find the thread? And also is there a way of changing your username if you wish?
Thanks again. Richard.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

KateHorton wrote:Hi Charlie,
Hi Kate, thanks for your email on the forum and your phone message today. I thought it was very thoughtful of you and I really appreciated it. It put my mind at rest anyway.
Look forward to speaking to you soon. Love from Richard x
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Richpriest wrote:Where do I find the thread? And also is there a way of changing your username if you wish?
Yep, let me know (in here or by private message) and I can change it for you.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:I suspect Richard Priest's average score of 99.57 is the highest ever for someone who didn't become an Octochamp which makes him one of the best non-Octochamps ever. I think he'd be the favourite against one of the Octochamps unless he's #8 seed then he's playing DOD who averages 110 points a game.

Martin
It probably is the highest in the 15-round era. However, if you did some sort of translation of scores, I think Darren Shacklady's average would surpass this. He scored 389 in 6 games (an average of 64.8 and using the rough guide that is the 11:18 ratio it would come out as about 106, or using the more coarse 9:15 it would be 108.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Richard, how do you know Kate's phone number?
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

They are lovers, Jason.
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

David O'Donnell wrote:They are lovers, Jason.

Behave yourself, David - or you will be sleeping on a Leeds park bench at the end of May.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

KateHorton wrote:Behave yourself, David - or you will be sleeping on a Leeds park bench at the end of May.
I'd imagine he's quite accustomed to that.

If you get my drift.

*makes glugging action from imaginary bottle*
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

KateHorton wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:They are lovers, Jason.

Behave yourself, David - or you will be sleeping on a Leeds park bench at the end of May.
A drunken Irish man sleeping on a park bench? I'd be the first ever. I should point out for Jason's benefit that Kate's job involves a lot of liaising (not the dangerous kind!) with the contestants (like auditioning, checking availability of contestants, booking hotels and/or park benches, going through intros etc.) so most of us have a work contact number for her. Of course if Richard has a home contact then I am going with my initial proposition! ;)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

David?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I just thought I'd say one thing very quickly.

I am feeling very apprehensive about something. It has to do with Countdown. I had an excruciating day yesterday so I did not post that much here. I do not want insult added to injury for obvious reasons. More later, maybe.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Jason Larsen wrote:I just thought I'd say one thing very quickly.

I am feeling very apprehensive about something. It has to do with Countdown. I had an excruciating day yesterday so I did not post that much here. I do not want insult added to injury for obvious reasons. More later, maybe.
Is this some kind of quiz?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Damian, please expect a PM in your account here very soon, and that is a promise.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Jason, chill out dude.

There are no worries anywhere.
lelb72

Post by lelb72 »

Hello All,
This is my first post on the forum but i'm no stranger to Countdown. I was going to set up my own messageboard until Kate at Countdown informed me about this one. :D
Have always watched the progam for as long as i can remember. I love Des O Conner he is a great host, as was Richard. The appeal of the program to me is the fact that the personalities and warmth of the hosts comes across when you watch it and that's what draws you in and keeps you watching continuously
lelb72

Post by lelb72 »

Hello Guys N Girls.
Im confused already. I'm new here and have posted in 2 welcome threads. I dont really want to put what i put in the first thread otherwise i will sound like a parrot. Just wanted to say Hello, and Hello to Damian aswell (It's Lee Bailey btw)
I don't know what to write now :lol:
Am from Birmingham and watch Countdown when i'm not at work. Kate told me about this forum so i came and joined
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Hi and welcome to the forum, Lee!

I dare say we'll be seeing you on the show in a few weeks so I will be watching out for you ;) One thing I should point out is that there seems to be a low tolerance for spoilers here so no hints as to how you got on. Also, if you are interested, we play games via msn and we are always looking for new participants. It's not only great practice but you would also get to test your skillz against the likes of Travers, Wills, Howe and erm Corby (who is by far the best). Feel free to add a few msn details they should all be linked to the various user profiles.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, and welcome, Lee!

How did you find out about Countdown?

You will like it here! We are a lot of fun!

Enjoy your time!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Lee, please disregard my last post.

I think Richard Priest was a little confused by this too, but Charlie says we have to post in the Welcome thread either if we are posting here for the first time or we return here after a long absence.

I tried to be part of those Countdown MSN gatherings but Lee, I have to warn you, if you have thought of something to say to the participants, you should try not to forget it because they have a habit of sidetracking you. This is because they are having so much fun.

Nothing against them, but you just have to accept that if you choose to be part of an online game.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

lelb72 wrote:Hello Guys N Girls.
Im confused already. I'm new here and have posted in 2 welcome threads. I dont really want to put what i put in the first thread otherwise i will sound like a parrot. Just wanted to say Hello, and Hello to Damian aswell (It's Lee Bailey btw)
I don't know what to write now :lol:
Am from Birmingham and watch Countdown when i'm not at work. Kate told me about this forum so i came and joined
Hello and welcome. I'll merge the two welcome threads as it does seem to cause some confusion. Not sure why you've taken to posting in blue but, err, whatever floats your boat I guess.
Benji Hanks
Rookie

Post by Benji Hanks »

Well, I've posted here 3rd, but it'll do...

I'm Benji Hanks, known in Countdownland as Ben, and am (as of yesterday) current Countdown champion :)

The bus driver seemed a little surprised when I sprung that little bombshell on him this morning.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

***********sits back and waits for Charlie to throw a wobbler********************

Edit: Whoops, I didn't realise you are actually Friday's champ: I wasn't able to watch the show. Ah that's alright it wasn't a spoiler and I am a complete tool (what else is new?). Welcome to the site Benji, hopefully I can catch some of your appearances next week.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

That's not blue, that's purple.

Ben's hair is blue though. Good win yesterday, Benji.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Ben Hanks. Hi! Nice to meet you, and welcome to the forum!

You must have won yesterday's game of Countdown. I'll take a look at your first game when I get a chance.

Do you not have a car?

Enjoy your time here! We are a lot of fun and great to talk to. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask and one of us will answer you as soon as we can.
Benji Hanks
Rookie

Post by Benji Hanks »

Thankyou Richard, yes I was quite proud of my debut performance. Surpassed my personal goals!

Jason, yes I did, I apologise for spoiling the result.

I don't have a car, no, I'm still a student at university so see no need for one.

David, I suppose it could be argued it's a spoiler, but that's all relative.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Ben!

I'll take a look at your first game when I get a chance.